Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Things to look for in a purchase

So as some of you may know, I am new here and am in the market for my very first hammock. (Other than the poolside ones lol). I watched Shugs awesome video (Thanks again, very helpful) and read a whole bunch of posts

I am one of those consumers that needs to know a lot about a product before I make my purchase. After searching around I am noticing some differences between hammocks that may or may not be good or bad - and it raises questions.

For instance, I need a bug net with my hammock. Would you rather one attached to the hammock? Or one that can come completely off? I have been looking at a Skeeter Beeter Pro which unzips 80% of the way. They say to use it with out the bug net simply turn it over. Well does that pose any unforeseen problems that I am overlooking? Rippage? Stretching?

I guess my purpose for this thread is what should I be looking out for when purchasing a hammock. The do's and don'ts, the must haves and the must have nots. Any information that you may have. Maybe a personal experience where you purchased a hammock and then wished it did or did not have a certain feature. I tried doing a search through the forums cause I felt like this topic must have been covered before, but to no avail. Sorry folks if this is a repeat (I know how frustrating it can be).
    Last edited by Deadphans; 12-29-2010 at 00:19.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a thread on the Skeeter Beater......http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=3268686

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You need to make a list of things you need. Then a secondary list of things you'd like. Once you've got your lists together, just start looking at specs. Forget all the glowing reviews, even the good ones are a little biased. Just find the hammocks that meet all your needs and as many of your wants as you can get. Once you've got it narrowed down to a couple/few, start looking for folks around here that list those hammocks under their name on the left (<---). Send them a PM with a few specific questions, or post a thread asking for knowledge on those hammocks.

I know what you're asking, along the lines of "don't buy a 1973 -1976 Harley cause AMF sucks!", but you won't find that issue here....much. There was a bad batch of DD Hammocks a few years ago, but it got fixed quick and I doubt there are many of those left to be sold on the second-hand market. You should know that most feel that the ENO tarps are a waste of perfectly good material, otherwise stick with the major names and brands and you'll pretty much be fine with the quality and craftmanship of your product.

Camping hammocks are generalists at heart, but the more you dig and play, the more you will find certain models and brands are better suited to different situations. For instance:

The bottom-entry Hennessy Hammocks are generally considered the hands-down winner if bugs are waging war upon you because the entry closes quickly and doesn't allow many in while you are entering.
    The Clarks do great in winter conditions because of the built-in WeatherShield.
    The Warbonnets are generally viewed as some of the most comfortable hammocks on the market.
    The JRB Bridge allows for excellent stomach sleeping.
    The TrekLight/ENOs are beyond reproach for lounging around camp.
    The Switchback from Tree to Tree Trail Gear has views that put the others to shame.

There are plenty more 'little' things that make one hammock favored over another for any given user. Like I said, get it narrowed down based on your needs and the folks around here will be more than happy to offer their opinions on which hammock will match your wants. You should start preparing for the fact that in all likelihood, you'll own more than one hammock anyway. There are few out there that can resist the urge to have multiple hammocks.

Good luck on your quest.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Beyond what cannibal has posted; get to a local hang, or find someone locally on HF that will let you test drive a hammock. That really is the best way although buying a bunch of different styles and trying them yourself is fun also!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Great post Cannibal. He is absolutely right. What helped me with decided on my first (as of today my only hammock. I'm not one of the few that can resist, my wife is. Happy wife, happy home) was making my own. I took some cheap walmart material and whipped the ends. You can work some bugs out on how you like to lay and sag and the what nots. But in the end its which bells and whistles you want to hang with at night.

When in doubt or feel like your head will explode from all the options and accessories remember one thing, all a hammock is is a sheet of material with ropes at the ends. Which sheet do you want to put your backside into for a cozy nights sleep.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    Wow, excellent advice Cannibal.

As someone not new to hanging but new to all the latest high tech gear you read about here on HF.net and someone looking to update his entire hanging kit I will offer one tip before placing your online orders. Contact the vendor via email or by phone and check stock on hang and ask how quickly it can be shipped. I would not trust the vendors website in-stock status.
    hth

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Awesome advice folks. Thanks so much. It is a bit overwhelming at first, the different specs and bells and whistles etc. etc. etc. I will follow your advice Cannibal and see where it takes me. Thanks!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The bottom-entry Hennessy Hammocks are generally considered the hands-down winner if bugs are waging war upon you because the entry closes quickly and doesn't allow many in while you are entering..
    I agree with this point, however, after a night of mosquitoes biting me through the bottom of my Hennessey Explorer Deluxe, I have since moved to a homemade hammock with double layer in an effort to prevent the bottom bite-through.

Bryan

• + New Posts