Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks everybody. No Clark tarp horror stories, so that's the way I'll go. Sounds like a NA with a Vertex fly is the plan for now.

BigBamaGuy, you said you were using a Winter Dream hammock, but switched. Do you still have the Winter Dream? I'm looking for exactly that tarp! Assuming it is the 11x13 that is shown on the Winter Dream page. They cannot make tarps right now, and that one is of particular interest to me. Write me if you want to unload it.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    Sounds like a NA with a Vertex fly is the plan for now.
    Oooooh welllllll

Here I thought I would end up with a 55 dollar rain fly

Good choice . . . it is, a nice tarp.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Sorry Bradley, no such luck. I've heard a few people really vocal against the Clark tarps, that's why I asked. Nobody here seems to really have a major problem, and you guys are in the know... That's what I needed to know.

Thanks again everybody, much appreciated.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Bristol...........
    Mandydawn has asked that I tell you that you can have the tarp over her dead body!!!!!! That is the reason that I have switched to another tarp at this time is because she was very fond of the coverage and ease of set-up. I am now using an OES Deluxe in SpinnUL and am very happy with it. I have placed the CJH and its factory tarp back in the bag and am letting new hangers use it on their maiden outings with us.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Does that mean that she is going to put it in her Will that I get it? That's really quite generous (a little odd, but generous), please tell her I said thanks. As I hope that she won't be needing her Will anytime soon, I really do need to do something in the meantime. I'll just have to settle with factory tarp.

That is what you meant right?

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am thinking...

that most of the complaints about CJH tarps were over the earlier, and smaller versions. Now that the XL and Vertex sizes are available they render the argumant moot IMO.

Actually, the same argumant can be made about the stock Hennessey diamond tarps.

Jim

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    Thanks everybody. No Clark tarp horror stories, so that's the way I'll go. Sounds like a NA with a Vertex fly is the plan for now.

BigBamaGuy, you said you were using a Winter Dream hammock, but switched. Do you still have the Winter Dream? I'm looking for exactly that tarp! Assuming it is the 11x13 that is shown on the Winter Dream page. They cannot make tarps right now, and that one is of particular interest to me. Write me if you want to unload it.
    Just remember the longer and wider the tarp, the further apart the trees will have to be and the more unobstructed area you'll need in order to unfurl the width.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    bristol:
    Mandy want be needing a will anytime soon!!!!!!!! She absolutely loves the BWDD Winter Dream tarp and has threatened me with bodily harm if I were to sell it..........Give the stock tarp a couple of outings and see how you like it. If it is not enough coverage for you then call Scott at BWDD and he will set you up with all of the DIY supplies you will need to make a Winter Dream tarp on your own and answer any questions you may have about making one as well.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Bigbamaguy, Thanks for the tip. I have been talking to Scott actually, he has been an AMAZING help. I contacted him first about this tarp, but he can't make tarps right now. I've also been talking to him about some specific needs, and he has helped too. I'll be getting all my needed supplies from him. Great guy.

LeapingLizards, Right that's a good point to keep in mind. I don't plan to use a huge tarp in the 3 seasons. In winter, I want a big tarp. In winter, I like to pull the tarp to the ground on the incoming wind side, and leave a gap between the tarp and ground on the other. This breaks that breeze across your back. When it gets really really cold, I like to pull both sides to the ground, and pull the ends together like an A-Frame tent. This creates dead air like a tent.

Jsaults, Ahhhh, that makes sense. The standard tarp of the Clarks is functional, and light, but I think most people want something more. If I were trimming ounces for a distance hike or something, it works. If I want more comfort and canopy for sitting under, a larger tarp offers that.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt
    I got the large tarp with my Clark and it works just fine alone.
    The only reason I use my Speers Winter Tarp is because I live in Oregon and often camp in the rain, and like 1) the extra coverage for sitting beneath and 2) being able to fold down the tarp to have privacy for dressing (I'm shy ))))))

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast