Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great test! Way to jump right into hammocking and start figuring out where your limits are! I think you're ready for the Colorado winter hang now...see you there!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post

That was where my large winter backpack would be. I could hang the boots there as well. Need to give them both a try while I have the snowy weather.............
    Good testing, experimenting and posting, O&B! Love to watch as folks learn and progress.

Hey, don't forget you can stow quite a bit of stuff in the hammock. Those loops on the ends of the RL, inside, can come in real handy. I have an Explorer UL, so I'm not sure how much room dif from the Expedition. But I usually have plenty of unused space above and below me, particularly to the left of my feet. I have hung my boots from there at the foot end, both inside or just outside the bottom entry. Hanging various size stuff sacks from those end loops can help you have a good bit of stuff inside sheltered from the storm when needed, and also very handy if you need to get some gear once you are in.

And of course, the stock inside mitten hooks and mesh sack are handy. As would be a ridge line organizer from 2Qs!

So until you recently added the UQ, have you been using just the HH SS with one pad and a space bl.? How have you been doing in those cold Denver temps, were you freezing? How about condensation?

After looking at this photo I need to investigate the gap at the top of the UQ. When I installed it last night both ends were tight against hammock. Not sure why it stretched out.
    Elastic suspension? Some folks have reported problems keeping some UQs tight in frigid cold. Apparently some elastics MIGHT stretch a bit as temps plummet. Just a wild guess as to the problem. So far, I have not experienced that, but my temps rarely get much below 20.

Keep the interesting reports coming!

Images
    So until you recently added the UQ, have you been using just the HH SS with one pad and a space bl.? How have you been doing in those cold Denver temps, were you freezing? How about condensation? -BillyBob58
    Hi BillyBob,
    I was hoping you would find this thread. I always learn something from your posts.
    As to your question about my pre UQ days.
    About 3 weeks ago I attempted to modify my HHSS bottom and add a summer syn SB as a poorboy's UQ.

I spent 3 nights on the porch with it. Temps got down to 17F and I was quite warm all three night. The second night I did have condensation issues but only after Knotty asked me to check for it. I was not using a SB. IF I recall you suggested a Heatsheet and I hit up REI for one. Been using the heatsheet, HH OSF pad ever since even now that I have a real Winter UQ. Never can be too safe.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-03-2011 at 12:52.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi BillyBob,
    I was hoping you would find my this thread. I always learn something from your posts.
    As to you question about my pre UQ days.
    About 3 weeks ago I attempted to modify my HHSS bottom and add a summer syn SB as a poorboy's UQ.

I spent 3 nights on the porch with it. Temps got down to 17F and I was quite warm all three night. The second night I did have condensation issues but only after Knotty asked me to check for it. I was not using a SB. IF I recall you suggested a Heatsheet and I hit up REI for one. Been using the heatsheet, HH OSF pad ever since even now that I have a real Winter UQ. Never can be too safe.
    Oh yes, thanks for the reminder, now I remember that thread.

Just wondering if you tried any cold temps with the HHSS alone ( but with a sp.bl. over the OCF pad) before you added the quilts, and if so what kind of temps were you comfy in?

Have you come up with any more ideas on why your quilt sagged last night? Yet you were still warm enough even with that big gap? The SS pad and Heatsheet probably helped.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Oh yes, thanks for the reminder, now I remember that thread.

Just wondering if you tried any cold temps with the HHSS alone ( but with a sp.bl. over the OCF pad) before you added the quilts, and if so what kind of temps were you comfy in?

Have you come up with any more ideas on why your quilt sagged last night? Yet you were still warm enough even with that big gap? The SS pad and Heatsheet probably helped.
    No I never did anymore testing with the poorboy sleeping bag UQ or the SS,SB and OCF pad. Christmas kinda got in the way.

I went back out to troubleshoot the UQ gap.
    When laying in the hammock I noticed the gap reduced to about 2" and did not go very deep maybe 3" before the UQ inside material touched the HHSS. I never got cold and only noticed the gap when I looked at the picture I took this morning.

as I am typing this my wife is pulling a second piece if 1/8" shockcord thru the UQ side channels. For lack of a better fix my plan is to try this.

I wonder if short loops(4"-6") of shockcord attached at the 4 corners, with a glove hook, then hook to the edge of the hammock. Or maybe a little longer and up to the HH's fixed ridgeline? I think I saw that in one of shug's videos.

UPDATE:
    After reading this thread
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16514

Looks like my issue is the same as all these folks. Guess I need to buy or make a triangle thingy.
    You would think all the vendors that offer a heavy winter UQ would include these with the purchase since so many are having issues with the stock suspension.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-01-2011 at 19:35.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345