Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Bugnet as vapor barrier??

I've been seeing some posts about vapor barriers and what not and micro-climates and I think I saw some calculus mixed in there somewhere and now my mind is BLOWN. I also saw a bugnet post talking about the necessity of them and how some people didn't like them inthe summer because they were so hot. The lightbulb went off and I said, man I'd love to be hot in the winter, then I started remembering this vapor barrier business. Do you guys think a bugnet would help creating a microclimate in the winter, maybe give me a noticeble difference in warm inside the hammock?
    "I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

- George Strait

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    They definitely do for me, more noticably in extreme cold and high winds. I find it takes some of the 'nip' out of the air when its around freezing or colder.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wiggy's ground pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Vapor barrier, No....Microclimate, Yes. Noseeum mesh blocks a surprising amount of wind. Just ask any tenting ground dweller or screened hammocker on a hot day. My HH is much cooler with the mesh unzipped (2Q2Z zipper mod). I never really thought about using it to stay warmer but I guess it does act as a really breathable overcover.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty/Trek Light DL
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I'm a relative newbie, and not a winter camper (yet), but this is what I've kind of gleaned from reading on HF. Most folks say that a bug net (either built-in or separate) can be a bit hot in warmer weather. It seems to stem from a decrease in airflow over the hammock causes by the netting. While netting doesn't block airflow, it does impede it a little. Some folks who have WBBB or HH with integrated nets think the nets add a tiny bit of warmth, and do get some condensation on them in colder weather. Not sure if a net alone would boost the temp significantly. I have no personal experience with this. Just what I've read. I'm sure others will chime in.
    There was a recent in depth post on vapor barriers. I'd say give that a read. It explains what a vapor barrier is far better than I can.
    As for myself, I'd like some kind of overcover for early spring & fall to boost temps in my hammock. However, I'm kind of claustrophobic, so a full on cover wouldn't make me happy. I'm going to experiment with a Driducks poncho as a partial overcover in the spring to see how that works. It's an inexpensive way to give it a test drive.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBRR dbl
    Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    hmm, you so maybe an overcover is really what I'm looking for? I'm getting a bug netbefore spring regardless so I thought it might be a pro to buy it earlier and use it to help keep warm but I'm looking for noticeable differences. As far as overcovers go, if I have a closed a-frame tarp setup, would an overcover still useful?

I was also thinking bug net because of the condensation factor but it looks like as breathable as they are, they'll still get wet too. Am I better off with a closed door tarp?

- George Strait

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    There are lots of posts where people report increased temps in winter using a bugnet.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    ... As far as overcovers go, if I have a closed a-frame tarp setup, would an overcover still useful?
    I think so, yes. But that's an uneducated guess, just two clicks up from a W.A.G.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    hmm, you so maybe an overcover is really what I'm looking for? I'm getting a bug netbefore spring regardless so I thought it might be a pro to buy it earlier and use it to help keep warm but I'm looking for noticeable differences. As far as overcovers go, if I have a closed a-frame tarp setup, would an overcover still useful?

I was also thinking bug net because of the condensation factor but it looks like as breathable as they are, they'll still get wet too. Am I better off with a closed door tarp?
    From what I can tell, the tarp in winter mode (steep pitch with doors) helps a lot with weather protection & warmth, but an overcover or hammock sock is what really provides the micro-climate. AHE makes an overcover called the Bear Burrito Oven specifically for the WBBB that people seem to like a lot. It's made from breathable ripstop nylon to help deal with condensation. Molly Mac Gear makes several variations of hammock socks with IX. I believe Papa Smurf also makes a hammock sock. I saw a post for a DIY "KISS" cover (by Grizz I think) that looks pretty simple to make. Do a search for hammock sock or overcover and you'll find info. I saw a post by Wisenber about using the Driducks poncho, and that's what I'll try. Cheap and no thread injecting skills required. I can add the Driducks with my bug net to make a very breathable partial overcover.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-29-2010 at 18:33. Reason: add text.

Hammock
    WBRR dbl
    Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    you guys rock my world.

- George Strait

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    you guys rock my world.
    Thanks for posting this question. I don't know if I would've considered adding my bug net to the overcover scenario before seeing your question. Always good stuff to learn on HF.
    KJ