Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Condensation in Clark hammocks? Sleeping position?

Another question... In warmer weather, the weather shield will likely be fully open. In cold weather, it will be closed at least partially to block breezes and trap more heat in. That makes it kinda like a big bivy, and bivy bags often have condensation issues. Is this an issue on the Clarks? Any tips to handle, reduce, eliminate condensation? Thanks!

Question 2:
    I've slept in a Henessey recently, and the diagonal sleep line is fairly flat and comfortable. Is the Clark NA a bent banana sleeper or a flat diagonal type? Or something else entirely?

Thanks everybody.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I can't address the condensation issue yet . . . but

I have noticed in my NX150 the placement of my feet is crucial.
    The centerline at the foot end seems to be the tightest
    and placing feet there will cause problems with the knees.
    But if I place my feet outwards, near the sides more,
    they seem to hang lower, allowing my knees to bend more naturally.

It is still a bit of a banana lay, but I think the issue with that is the knee issue.

I like it as is.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    I have the Clark North American. I use the NA exclusively for winter camping. In the warmer seasons I use my Hennessey or JrB bridge. I find that the Clark is ideal for winter. The ability to fully close the storm shield adds at least 10 degrees of warmth. As far as condensation issues go I leave the bug net in and zip it up along with the storm shield. I am not sure why but the extra barrier of the bug net seems to prevent any condensation. Surprisingly the bug net adds significant warmth as well. I also leave a part of the storm shield un-zipped above my head for ventilation if needed. The NA does have a banana lie similar to my Hennessey but the trick of putting a stuff sack of clothes or something under my knees keeps the hyper extension issue at bay. I have no problem with sleeping on my side as well.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    In my NX-200 I will sleep with my legs in a figure 4 position. One knee bent, leg under the other. This eleminates the knee hyperextension feeling. I have also found the way bradley describes to work as well. Condensation I have never had an issue with. I leave a small section of the weather shield unzipped over my head and have had no issues.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've got the tropical with the weathershield. I'll use the weathershield whenever I need it, year round. I've had to use it during super hot humid summers because of being camped next to the river and temps dropping at night (plus fog). The tropical is more open than the NA and I'm not able to fully close the top like you NA's can. There's always a gap at the head end for condensation to escape. During the winter, I've had a little condensation, but not enough to soak any of my quilts. If you're having problems, just leave a gap at the head end with the weathershield.
    When sleeping, I'm on my side. Or I'm in that sort of half way position, not quite on my side but my legs are turned as if I am on my side. The sides of the Clark hammock tend to encourage this postion of sleeping. At least for me. And if I did try sleeping on my back, if I've got both legs straight out, for me, it's not comfortable. That's where that banana position is most extream. I have to bend at least one knee. The Clark is an end to end banana/cocoon shaped sleeping hammock. It's also a much more confinded on the inside than the Hennessy. There is no "diagonal" lay in a Clark.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    If you keep the weather shield zipped up mostly but let it just fall on you and leave your face out then the condensation does not form in the hammock with you but will form on the undersurface of your tarp. Then, if you bump the tarp and it "snows" the condensation falls from the tarp on the weather guard and your down stays dry.

You will get condensation inside if you zip up and breathe inside the weatherguard especially below freezing when it is humid out.

Letting the weatherguard fall on your chest instead of tenting above you keeps you warm as well as there is less dead space. I just keep my hat on in the hammock.

cooldays

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I found this morning that the condensation freezes to the
    between part of the bug screen and the weather shield.
    After crawling out I left it open, and what ever moisture was left froze.
    I seperated the two (bug screen and weather shield)
    I then just knocked them around and the ice particals just flew off.
    the only area the ice stuck to was the fabric part of the zippers.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Images
    I can usally lay diagonal head left, feet right in my NA if I fiddle with the foot end a little higher the head end.i'm only 5'8" tall and have enough room. I have hung out a few degrees below zero C and left the weathershield open above my head. Got a little frost on the outside only. The weather shield does help keep the wind off and make it warmer inside. It seems like the non Clark hammockers are adding covers and bug nets of some type to be like a Clark.They are pricer but you dont have to add much to them.I don't care for the small tarp but it will do the job.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i have slept in my clark na many times in the cold and find the condensation from my breath will allways freeze to the bug net after it gets below about 20 degf.even if i leave an airspace.i now tie the bug screen up in a ball,by my feet, and let the weather shield lie on my chest also,as cooldays suggested.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Traveller for now.
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly-esque
    Insulation
    AHE UQ, WBurrow TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I've got the tropical with the weathershield.
    Hey Tina,

I've decided on getting a Clark, mainly because of the weathershield, and I am deciding between the tropical and the standard NA.

How come you went with the Tropical + weathershield instead of the North American?
    Also, what do you do for warmth? I'm going to be spending 6 weeks in Colorado high mountains soon. Last year it dropped into the 20's, and i think it'll will be even colder this year.

A novice hanger seeking the advice of seasoned veterans.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast