G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Stainless. The value in sticking the bottle in the fire outweighs any weight penalty to me.

Heat retention. Adding a wool sock around the bottle is two fold. Adds insulative qualities to preserve the heat and protects my skin from scalding hot bottle.

Also, if your bottle is warmed thoroughly (near boiling/steaming heavily with light bubbles), stuck in a sock, stuck under the quilt(s), the r-value is improved. Setting on a table is not really applicable data, IMO. Add to that the extra BTU's your body is generating...
    My waterbottle is warm enough in the morning for a tea, not hot tea but warm. 'spose I could do a coffee in the bottle and drink that. Or re-warm the already somewhat warm bottle over the fire/stove, thus conserving some fuel.

Vacuum pressure on the lid can make removal difficult in the morning...or I'm still sleepy and weak.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Stainless. The value in sticking the bottle in the fire outweighs any weight penalty to me.
    Stainless is awesome.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nalgene makes several different types of bottles these days, but for me, it's the old school HDPE bottles. They are significantly lighter than the new-fangled bottles by 2 oz. They have lasted me a lifetime.

For the other 3 seasons, I carry Nalgene's soft-sided canteens which weighs only 2.0 oz for the 32 oz size and 2.7 for the96 oz size.

P.S. All my bottles & canteens are wide-mouth.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Nalgene makes several different types of bottles these days, but for me, it's the old school HDPE bottles. They are significantly lighter than the new-fangled bottles by 2 oz. They have lasted me a lifetime.

For the other 3 seasons, I carry Nalgene's soft-sided canteens which weighs only 2.0 oz for the 32 oz size and 2.7 for the96 oz size.

P.S. All my bottles & canteens are wide-mouth.
    I ordered 2 of these.

http://store.nalgene.com/product-p/1...de%20mouth.htm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Vargo Ti Water Bottle yet!

http://www.uniquetitanium.com/Vargo-...tle_p_316.html

I don't have one, but they look better than stainless! At least to me they do!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I use the Grizz kettle. It is made out of a venom energy drink bottle. I drink from it all day, boil water in it and then use it as a hot water bottle. weighs less than a nalgene and is stronger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgumfTMobTI

I don't think Grizz is making these for sale anymore though. Good DIY project. I made mine with wick instead of wood pegs.
    well you see Dutch was so taken with the idea that he insisted I sell the rights to him. I got some Dutch biners out of the deal, came out ahead I think.

He's just being bashful, he really wants PMs from people who want him to make one for them. At the price the video lists. How can you go wrong...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    well you see Dutch was so taken with the idea that he insisted I sell the rights to him. I got some Dutch biners out of the deal, came out ahead I think.

He's just being bashful, he really wants PMs from people who want him to make one for them. At the price the video lists. How can you go wrong...
    Dutch? Bashful? You're working on a credibility problem here, Griz. But you can restore your reputation by offering some clarifying insights on how to attach wooden pegs to a steel bottle. Epoxy? I want to add "handles" to an EcoCanteen so I can suspend it over a woodstove and possibly drape a piece of foil around it to improve heat transfer. I'm hoping a few lumps of charcoal in the stove will give a steady source of heat that might provide conviviality (i.e., - "melt the ice" ).

Also, why wood for the pegs?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123