DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Zeppelin bend is an interesting option, especially if used in situations where you'll need to untie it after loading. Truly an amazing knot that was almost forgotten by history.

Of course the big question with amsteel isn't just if the knot will slip but also if the knot creates too much localized compression, which the material isn't good at withstanding.

Keep us posted TiredFeet.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    One knot I can report as NOT to use is a bowline!! It will slip. I like the zeppelin, very easy to tie. I actually showed that one to my scouts and gave them a little history lesson at the same time. I'm not so sure though that it wouldn't slip over time if using amsteel. If you do use it, put stopper knots on the ends of each rope. I think I'd only use this if I was having to tie and untie this knot after use. If the rope is gonna be attached and then left there, I'd look at splicing a loop (locked brummel).

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Has anyone used amsteel to whip their hammocks? If you were to what know would you use in this instance? I guess it's not really done tho' as theres no weight put on the cord used in the whipping right?

I just tried out the Zeppelin bend. Could not figure out how to get it tight till I pulled both ends in the same direction Lightbulb went off. Neat knot. My firelight striker is now on a paracord length with a monkies fist (also a cool knot but not so useful for hammocking heh) tied off with the Zep knot.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I wouldn't whip a hammock with amsteel. Whipping is all about friction. Something which amsteel doesn't have much of and all its tensile strength simply isn't needed.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Zeppelin bend is an interesting option, especially if used in situations where you'll need to untie it after loading. Truly an amazing knot that was almost forgotten by history.

Of course the big question with amsteel isn't just if the knot will slip but also if the knot creates too much localized compression, which the material isn't good at withstanding.

Keep us posted TiredFeet.
    I have never done any formal testing or anything, but TeeDee and I have used the Zeppelin Bend in our suspension many times. First with gathered end hammocks and then in the suspension triangle of Bridges. That was when we first started experimenting with triangle sizes and before we switched to the whoopie sling for adjustable triangle sizes.

With both the gathered end and Bridge hammocks we were using 3 mm Lash-It rated at 1200 lbs.

For the gathered end we had the angle at the tree down to about 12 - 15 degrees more than once with about 180 - 190 lbs in the hammock. I'll let someone else compute the force (TeeDee and my GF are busy elsewhere right now). All of the Zeppelin Bends were rock solid and, although more than a little tight, fairly easy to untie. And that was in the Lash-It which turns to steel when loaded.

TeeDee went immediately to the Zeppelin Bend for the Bridge triangle experiments since the knots would be repeatedly tied and untied. Again, the knots were pulled tight and the Lash-It is extremely hard and unbending after loading.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    I have never done any formal testing or anything, but TeeDee and I have used the Zeppelin Bend in our suspension many times. First with gathered end hammocks and then in the suspension triangle of Bridges. That was when we first started experimenting with triangle sizes and before we switched to the whoopie sling for adjustable triangle sizes.

With both the gathered end and Bridge hammocks we were using 3 mm Lash-It rated at 1200 lbs.

For the gathered end we had the angle at the tree down to about 12 - 15 degrees more than once with about 180 - 190 lbs in the hammock. I'll let someone else compute the force (TeeDee and my GF are busy elsewhere right now). All of the Zeppelin Bends were rock solid and, although more than a little tight, fairly easy to untie. And that was in the Lash-It which turns to steel when loaded.

TeeDee went immediately to the Zeppelin Bend for the Bridge triangle experiments since the knots would be repeatedly tied and untied. Again, the knots were pulled tight and the Lash-It is extremely hard and unbending after loading.
    TiredFeet... a while back, after you mentioned the Zeppelin Bend I played around with it. That Zeppelin Bend is a thing of beauty where knots are concerned. It is hard to understand how a bend/knot that is so useful and easy to tie could be overlooked for so long.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12