Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    At least he did not mean hitting the ground.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Great test, Jeff! How close in function do you feel a full HHSS ( with HH Overcover) would be to your sock? I have always loved the wind(and blowing rain/mist/snow) block I get with with the UC. But I've never got around to resting the OC.
    I think it would be very close, but the HH undercover doesn't provide the big air gap between your bottom insulation and the wind like a sock does. That gives a pretty good advantage to the sock (probably at a weight disadvantage, though, depending on the sock).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    After some New Year's festivities, I'm back in the hammock. It's -1F at the moment, forecasted for -16F with -35F windchill at 5-6am. I'm actually too warm right now and figuring out how i want to vent.

From outside to in...
    Hammock sock, 20F PeaPod, Winter Yeti, DIY hammock, JRB MWUQ4 as TQ, CCF leg pad.

Wearing same as last time.

Still didn't find my facemask so I'm using a white dust mask...the kind that look like a hospital mask. I can see a steady thick stream of steam in front of my face, and the inside is wet. Really hard to control condensation on these temps. Had the same result with a bandana doubled up cowboy style. Condensation freezes to the sock pretty much on contact. (Had the same result on the WBBB's bug net at this temp last year.)

Using the DIY candle lantern from the other thread...hanging from the ridgeline. It's great so far...gonna try to read by it in a sec. There's no condensation near the lantern...

Temp dropped 2F since i started typing this on the phone...

Happy 2011 everybody!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    all we need is video---this is like the CNN guys standing by the beach as a hurricane approaches---

But yeah. Condensation. No escaping it. The laws of physics apply to everyone.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Did you make it through the night, Jeff?

Is your head completely out of the pod, using your pod hood? Or are you completely inside the pod with some degree of vent/breathing hole? With all of that condensation, this would have been a great night to experiment with the pod and some form of snorkel combo.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Jeff, I'm more concerned about you burning up than freezing to death! I couldn't sleep with that candle lantern burning ... actually, I wouldn't even get into a hammock with a candle. I've seen flames and nylons in combination, but not for long I just made and love the candle lantern around the camp but I would much rather have a few chemical hand/feet warmers inside the hammock.

Be careful out there!

Images
    New record for me as well.
    @ 1AM it was -2F in Littleton CO
    40 miles north of Jeff's location. No wind.

link to my thread. New to the forum hope this is OK not trying to hijack.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=26410&page=4
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-01-2011 at 10:28.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I slept better last night than the first night. No issues other than condensation...about the same level. Daggum physics.

I had too much down around me to close the PeaPod. It was closed from the top down to about 6" above my head, and from the bottom to just above my knees. Other than that, it was wide open. Never got a cold spot or anything.

I didn't sleep with the lantern burning! The flame is completely inside the jar, and the jar isn't close enough to touch the nylon anywhere. I tested it by putting my hand above the flame, and I could hold it between the flame and the nylon at every location...I could hold it there indefinitely. Still a risk, but one I'm comfortable with as long as it's not windy and I'm awake to watch it.

I was able to read by the lantern (used the votive, not the tea light), but it probably wouldn't be comfortable for long. That's the amount of light it puts off, though.

One reason I wanted the side zip on the sock to come down to the level of the hammock is so I could lay with my head outside the sock. I did that for a while last night and it worked great. I zipped the sock tight around my head...my body stayed much warmer, and my head was fine with the Blackrock beanie (probably not needed), the JRB hood, and the dust mask. I slept like this for about an hour...it was comfortable, gave me good views of Orion, and helped keep some condensation out of the sock.

The snow never did come last night, so the two-day forecast of 12+" ended up being about 5" total in my yard.

Gear malfunction...my thermometer didn't record the low temp! It kept the same settings as the previous night. Looking at the National Weather Service site, the closest I can find is Colorado Springs Airport at -8F. My house is about 1000' higher than that, so at least -11F. And since we're right on the Palmer Divide that causes crazy weather around here, we're usually a bit lower. So somewhere between -11F and -15F was my low...either way it's a new low temp for me, and a great way to ring in the new year! (Pueblo was -20F...maybe I should test there!)

One last note...this isn't a contest, and I'm not trying to brag or to prove I can get lower than anyone else. Just trying to test my own limits, and figure out the best (most efficient) gear combination for winter camping here. I'm excited about it, and happy to share with the forum!

Images
    Excellent report Jeff. I am learning a lot following your lead.
    Congrats on a new personnel best. (sounds better then new low, haha)

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    One last note...this isn't a contest, and I'm not trying to brag or to prove I can get lower than anyone else. Just trying to test my own limits, and figure out the best (most efficient) gear combination for winter camping here. I'm excited about it, and happy to share with the forum!
    I would say that all documented tests are just good Just Jeff
    It all helps to inform about our activities and promote safe night time wilderness experience.

Kudos Brother.

and
    Just Hang In There, Eh!

oops I used half your name
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast