Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Newbie to backpacking...

I have car camped for quite a while and am taking the step into backpacking. I am in the process of deciding on a tent and ran across this site. My question is weather or not I can go with only a hammock and no tent at all. I was/am looking at a tarptent double rainbow which is about the same price and weight as the speer hammock. I just need some convincing that a hammock is the way to go for all of my 3 season backpacking plans.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    claytor
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    straps with cinch
    You will not regret it! No more looking for a level sight. No more laying on rocks, sticks, and lumpy ground. When it rains you don't have to worry about the ground under you be coming so soaked that it soaks through the bottom of the tent. The best thing is you will sleep like a baby! I will never sleep in a tent again. Well if I ever go to everest I guess I would have to sleep in a tent there. But that is never going to happen.
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't slept in a tent for years...always hammocks when I go. Plenty of stories about that here. I have several trip reports here, too...it's easy to camp without a tent, in dry or rainy weather, hot or blizzards, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4msu View Post
    I have car camped for quite a while and am taking the step into backpacking. I am in the process of deciding on a tent and ran across this site. My question is weather or not I can go with only a hammock and no tent at all. I was/am looking at a tarptent double rainbow which is about the same price and weight as the speer hammock. I just need some convincing that a hammock is the way to go for all of my 3 season backpacking plans.
    Being an old Alabama boy, I had to check out where Owens Cross Roads is. You are just down the road from a buddy of mine that I get out and backpack with from time to time. Coy Boy lives in Grant, AL. I haven't seen him post on this forum but I'll get in touch with him and let know that he has a neighbor that is interested in backpacking and hammocks.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    As a hardcore hammocker, I (ONE TIME) slept in a tent since getting off the ground, Large group outing, 12 person tent, etc. I will NEVER go to ground again.

I nearly froze that night. using padding & my hammock overquilt. Temp outside only got to 45, AND we had heat in the tent. My overquilt has kept me warm in my hammock to 5 degrees. I will NEVER go to ground again.

I did NOT sleep well that night, even tho I had driven 12 hrs the previous night AND spent 9 hrs that day as a street performer at a renaissance fest: dancing, running, singing etc. I will NEVER go to ground again.

Not going to ground ever again. Friends or not.

Oh yea: Welcome to backpacking & Hanging.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Youngblood...Grant is only about 15-20 minutes from me. I hope you all don't mind all of the questions but I have many!!! As far as an underquilt goes, does a synthetic filled quilt have any effect on the cold? I can see me making a synthetic quilt, but I cannot see myself going thru the trouble of making a down one. Is it worth my while to spend the time making one? I do not expect to be out in extremely cold weather, but the weather does not always play by my rules.
    Thanks for all of the help that you all are offering.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I have only been hanging in a hammock while backpacking and camping for a couple of months, but my nights are happier, the stars and moon brighter, and I wake up more refreshed than ever. I sold all my tents, sleeping bags (made a quilt out of one) and now have a place to sit off the ground while I cook and a place to relax and daydream without hard things poking me in the @&&. You won't regret it, but perhaps you should borrow a backpacking tent or Bivy and camp on the ground for a few years anyway. You will not need any man to teach you after that. Good luck and best wishes on your new backpacking adventures.....you should definitely HANG. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Synthetic quilts are one of the easiest projects to make...just a pocket of fabric, then slide the insulation inside. Super simple. A shaped one like the KAQ is a little more complicated, but not much. Definitely worth the effort.

Bring on the questions - that's why we're here!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site. Check out that site Just Jeff has listed www.tothewoods.net Excellent hammock camping info. on it.
    I hammock camp 4 seasons. The colder the more fun IMO.
    If your interested, there will be a camp-out on Sringer Mt. Georgia
    new years eve. You would have a great crash course learning experience
    with all the different set-ups you'd see. Let me know if your interested.
    I could supply you with anything hammock related you'd need.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by sam4msu View Post
    Sam, Dave told me a neighbor was interested in hammocking. I havent visited this site in a while and never signed up (well if i did i forgot my user name and password...) Anywyas, IMHO, a hammock beats a tend hands down for solo camping. And since I am not to keen on sharing a tent with most of the folks i hike with (sorry Dave) it beats sharing a tent. It is not reallly the weight that wins the battle as I can get lighter with just a small tarp and closed cell foam pad. What wins this battle IMHO is comfort. Plus it is just easier to find a place to set up my hammock in most places I frequent. And if the ground is wet, score another point for the hammock. If you want to see my hammock pm me and maybe we can work something out. I am outa town the next few days though. And plan a bike ride on Saturday. In other words, if you aint in a rush you might want to see and try mine out before making the plunge.

Coy Boy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast