DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    They look like Oriole nests...
    Ha! They do.

Maybe we should call these, "Dave's Oriole nests."
    Everybody will want one in their hammock!

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the positive feedback! As it would happen my grandparents lived in Baltimore when I was a kid and I grew up an Oriole fan...

I will work on a drawing but be forewarned it will be a scanned hand sketch rather than a slick digital drawing like I've seen on other threads. My graphic design skills are on par with my cutting age thread injector technology (1950 Centennial).

I thought about a zipper, and it would be easier but I wanted to be able to leave the top partially open and be able to drop things into the bag while in the hammock one handed. An open zipper will be pulled together by the weight of the bag. Also as you try to pull up on the zipper pull you may find the bag itself lifts toward the peak thus requiring two hands. But I think it would work and for some it may be an improvement.

I am definately planning to install a second bag at the foot end for more storage. I like the boot storage idea like MAD777 sugests. Seam sealed to keep boot muck from getting in the hammock. You could unhook the bag and load and unload the boots outside to further prevent the mess from getting inside. Maybe fleece line the outside to insulate and hold more heat from a hand warmer. Or instead of boots, make a fleece peak bag where you could place items that shouldn't freeze (water filter, etc) and keep them warm with a hand warmer or a hot water bottle. Who knows, I gotta think about this one...
    Last edited by GvilleDave; 12-31-2010 at 10:44.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Just thinking out loud here. You could eliminate the draw sting entirely and rather than a round opening you could have a slit opening running horizontal across the top of the bag so you retain one hand usage and no need for a closure. You could put a small flap over the opening if you wanted to hide the slit. Gravity should do all the work of keeping items in the bag while it is in the hammock. You could also put velcro or omnitape on the flap to be able to close the bag and use it as the hammock stuff sack. I like the idea of sizing the peak bag to be the hammock stuff sack. I really need to get a thread injector so I can try some of these ideas.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Very creative! Nice design. Might you consider adding a strip of velcro to the outside of the bag with the other half sewn to the hammock? Occasionally, depending on how I flop into my hammock, the ol' peak bag jumps right out! That would keep it in place. I pack my peak bag with extra clothing during winter and when I get to camp, clip it in the peak of the hammock, ready to go.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Pete, those are good ideas.

I like to find ways to avoid hardware. There really is no need for a closure... just an opening that won't spill and can be found with one hand in the dark.

Here's an example of a one handed container that holds open. It's a 1 L Water Bottle carrier with a 2x2 PALS array that mounts on the belt of a Molly Mac Pack. Something similar could be done for a peak bag, but with the oriole nest shape, using the cordura on the back to stabilize it so it won't flip, and the elastic to hold it open.

The whole concept is similar to a shower caddy that hangs from the shower head.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Stiffiner

I had been thinking that a piece of medium to heavy weed whacker line would make a good stiffiner to hold open a peak bag. Not sure just how this would work, but some revelation may strike me when I sew mine.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Just thinking out loud here. You could eliminate the draw sting entirely and rather than a round opening you could have a slit opening running horizontal across the top of the bag so you retain one hand usage and no need for a closure. ...
    Your telepathy is strong today, Otter.
    That exact concept is what jumped into my head when i saw the pictures.

On further thought, I think a horizontal slit would be pulled open by the weight of stuff in the bag.
    I wonder if an overlapping vertical slit would be pulled shut by the weight of contents. Maybe I'll make one tonight while waiting on the ball/apple/acorn to drop.

Any way the opening is configured, I like the idea of moving the opening from the bottom to the side of the cone, Dave. I made a conical peak bag with a drawstring at the bottom and only used it once before deciding it was more trouble than it was worth.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I think rjcress is on to something with a vertical slit just like a hennessy hammock. when weight is put in it would keep The slit closed but easy to slip your hand in. I think I will try one like that.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Dave,
    I gotta say it again, this is simply awesome! It never ceases to amaze me that some of the most useful ideas are so simple in nature.

I have only one complaint though ... I came into the holidays with 5 projects on my To-Do list and just completed 2 of them which gave me a feeling that I was progressing nicely ... then I read this ... well, my list just got longer!

Thanks, Dave

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    ... then I read this ... well, my list just got longer!
    Thanks, Dave
    Amen, brother!
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast