Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    KerMegan, why concerned? I agree, most people are fine. Some however, are not. I guess I'm tainted by bad experience. I was on day 2 of week plus hike. I was sleeping in a bivy bag with my pack outside. When I awoke, my pack with my food, gear and just about everything we gone. In its place was an old Kelty pack, with a broken external frame and no belt. In it was a dented pot with no handle; oh yea. I was in college, so rescheduling break was not an option; (and I could not afford to replace the gear that I collected as I grew up.) I kept some items with me in the bivy luckily; belt knife, compass, lighter, fishing line and holes in my Tilley hat, boots (to keep them dry), and a few stuff in my "Essentials" bag which is always with me.

I decided to continue, as this was my only break from school. It gave me a chance to try out my "new" Kelty pack. It was nice to hike so very very light, but lack of food, lack of a water filter and lack of my stove made it a little difficult. I took my wilderness survival training, time to put it to the test; I had my bivy shelter and my essentials bag. Only 7 more days to meet my ride at the other end. No problem. Maps! Oh bugger! Note to self: keep maps in the essentials bag next time. I snared a little rabbit, but it was too cute and I wasn't hungry enough; let it go. I was able to find various plants, and lots of tiny sardine sized fish. I finished the entire trip, and absolutely loved it (to be honest). What I was really upset about is losing some really nice gear, some gifts, most unable to replace anytime soon.

That's why In concerned with pilferage.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I feel you. I have been nervous about leaving my stuff in camp when i am gone, but never even thought about if someone came into camp at night to jack my stuff. That would suck, thats for sure. The Clarks pockets held everythign i needed for my winter weekend. The only thing I left out was my stove and food bag.

I didn't think of my gear growing feet while I slept right next to it either. Ever since, I've been a little less trusting. I know most people are great, but a deterrent can't hurt. I was lucky I kept my essentials with me at all times.

Wow, those pOckets are huge. If they hold about 4880, they should match my pack nicely. My pack holds 4800, nice. With my sleeping bag under me, and my pack under my knees, most things should fit in the pockets well. Food will be in a bear bag or vault, so that clears up even more room. Hard stuff like cooking gear can be hung in a bag under my tarp easy enough.

Thanks for the photos, finally a photo of the pockets with something for size reference, in this case a person. I've seen photos before, but with nothing to show size, it's hard to get a good scale. Thanks.

That's a horrible story bristol but one I can definitely understand. Seems like more and more nefarious types are hitting the trails. Just last year I got into an altercation in Hocking Hills at Old Man's Cave. Been going there for years and NEVER had an issue. These people were on the 5 mile trail withno packs, no water, just sagging pants and XXXL t-shirts on their S sized bodies. Turns out saying "hey" was the wrong thing to do, haha.

Securing your gear is a fundamental and worthwhile practice. Never leave my gear unsecured, usually tied to a tree. Thievery makes me irrate

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Traveller for now.
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly-esque
    Insulation
    AHE UQ, WBurrow TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Lighten up while you still can. Don't even try to understand. Just find a place to make your stand, and take it easy.
    The Eagles were hangers! Sounds like the perfect hammock song.

Plenty of space

I did the 300 southern miles of the AT last Spring with a 54# pack (I know - too much - never again). I would generally completely empty my pack into the pockets and hang the pack on the tree end. Plenty of room, and helped keep me warm.

Mike

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    If at all possible I like to camp a bit off the trail and out-of-sight. I've been in a few places where trail traffic had no idea I was there.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I've been in a few places where trail traffic had no idea I was there.
    I wear cammo gear a lot, hunting, fishing, camping, geocaching, and I giggle to myself everytime somebody walks within feet of me if I have stepped off the trail for any reason (usually mother nature call).

Yep it don't take much to be "unseen".

Yup, I try to blend in too. After losing my gear, I almost never camp in a camp spot anymore. I head off trail a bit, usually over a hill or behind something to make me less visible to the trail. There I can relax more and listen to the sounds of the woods and not so much of other hikers. I hang, so I disturb the ground very little. If you look at my camp after I leave, most people would never know I was there. When I am there, few people ever know it either. I like to meet others on the trail, but for some reason, I like to sleep out with the local wildlife more. I was nose to nose with a deer once, it was curious what the hammock was, and apparently didn't see me through the net, even though I could see it. It was very cool.

Sometimes I look at the topo map, and look for the area with the fewest trails/roads/etc. Then put an X on it and head there. Trails? We don't need no stinking trails. Try it, these have been some of the greatest hikes I've ever done. Puts woods, often old growth and not disturbed by people. I really enjoy those times. The hammock lets me impact it very little. Just remember, if you get in trouble... there is nobody else out there. Plan accordingly. (I recommend the SPOT GPS Messenger, just in case.)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Then put an X on it and head there
    My buddy and I used to use that exact same method. We would get out the topo map, look for places that we thought would make a good fishing spot and then try to get there by map and compasss. Man we found some great fishing spots. Not all of them were, but even the lesser ones were fun to try to get to.
    NO TRAILS NEEDED!

Much easier now to do those things with a GPS, but still a great idea.

Yep, I got a SPOT as well. Happy hanging bristolview. Tnx for remindingme how much fun we had doing that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast