WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Anyone know where you can buy it in Canada? Heard it was not approved by Health Canada. Just a myth?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Someone had posted on another thread that you could get it at wally world. I couldn't find it.
    In some stores it seems to be available in a spray can, sold under the name 'Repel Permanone'. But, the Sawyer brand permethrin seems to last longer, IME.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post

Here it is again

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Ops didn't see you were from Canada, sorry

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    What about interaction with any Cats that might actually let me live in the same house as them? Premethrin is supposed to be deadly to them. I would like to see a tick fall off my pant leg but would just be horrified to see one of my cats rub up against me and fall over dead.
    This is the exact reason why I don't use it on my hiking gear, even though ticks love me. I have three cats and it is not worth the risk. I also have a problem exposing myself to excess chemicals.

Here is a random article about it:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7088397.stm

I would just go with a large net around the entire hammock.
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissa View Post
    This is the exact reason why I don't use it on my hiking gear, even though ticks love me. I have three cats and it is not worth the risk. I also have a problem exposing myself to excess chemicals.

Here is a random article about it:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7088397.stm

I would just go with a large net around the entire hammock.
    Cannibal has mucho treated clothing/gear and cats both in the same house, no problems so far. Me too, though I am super careful keeping the (indoor)cats away form the stuff as I am treating clothing outside, and nothing comes inside until all is bone dry. I also make sure I don't go in with clothing that got Perm on it while I was treating, and take my gloves off and then wash my hands several times. And in fact, I just as a general precaution keep treated gear in a place where the cats will not be in contact with it, though I doubt this last is needed. I think most of the cases being referred to in the article were with cats coming in contact with dogs who had just been treated and were maybe still wet and grooming(licking) them, or the cats had actually been treated with the product.

I had used the stuff a for a couple of years before I even knew it was deadly to cats. But the cat was an indoor cat, and I was doing all the treatment outside and being careful just as a general rule. Still, you can't be too careful!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Cannibal has mucho treated clothing/gear and cats both in the same house, no problems so far.
    Tis true, but gets even worse. All the fly sprays out there for The Boys (for those that aren't donating members, "The Boys" are my miniature donkeys) contain Permethrin and Genuine Draft works around large animals on the weekends that are also sprayed with a Permethrin based insect goo. Now then, Cannibal is very much a "cat person"; always have been. We are exceptionally cautious when working with Permethrin. Generally, we go straight from the backporch to the bathroom. We disrobe in the bathroom and take a shower before ever coming in contact with my buddy Stinky (yes, that's my cat's name). Any treated gear stays outside hanging for at least a night and the clothing we were wearing goes straight into the wash after the shower. My cats have spent many a night in treated hammocks with me. Abby lived to be almost 21 years old and Stinky is pushing 18. Still ornery as all get out.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

Permethrin and Kitties

Permethrin and Pets

The FDA has approved several permethrin-based products for use on dogs, including sprays and spot-on's. Some dogs have been known to exhibit side effects ranging from skin redness and irritation to drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or seizures. In the case of severe symptoms, call your vet immediately. Skin irritation can be relieved by bathing your dog to remove the substance, but you should still consult your veterinarian. Permethrin shouldn't be used on young puppies (under 12 weeks), pregnant or nursing dogs, sick dogs, or dogs with kidney, liver or heart disease. It should never be used in conjunction with flea or tick collars or other flea/tick sprays.

If you are only using Permethrin mainly to protect against fleas and ticks, there are alternatives which carry far less risk of side effects. Ask your veterinarian.

NEVER use permethrin on cats! Exercise caution and follow label warnings when using permethrin products if you have cats.. Avoid using it on dogs who play with or are groomed by family cats. Don't use it around fish tanks or ponds either as it is toxic to fish. Permethrin treated clothing poses no threat to cats once the product has dried.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    In some stores it seems to be available in a spray can, sold under the name 'Repel Permanone'. But, the Sawyer brand permethrin seems to last longer, IME.
    It seems like the ones around me don't carry it anymore.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish on View Post
    Does anyone know where to get one of the nifty pump-up sprayers shown on the video at bugspray.com?? It should be really light weight since you don't have to fill it with water until you use it- RE: take with you on the trail to use as needed! Thanks for any help you folks.
    Here's an unlikely source:

https://www.llamaproducts.com/index....ils&rowid=6768
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast