Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 5'8", 200lbs. Never slept better outdoors, than in my Warbonnet 1.1 Double layer Blackbird

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I'm 6' 210 have both the WBBB 1.7 dbl and Traveler 1.7 dbl and prefer my WBBB over the traveler any day. I find it to be a much nicer lay. Although in actuality their should be no difference between the two. Have never slept in 1.1 single or dlb however so cant compare the two materials.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB / diy gathered
    Tarp
    kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag / Pad
    Suspension
    Web / whoopie
    Images
    Just ordered the 1.7 dbl

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Enjoy It:d
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm writing this from my 1.1 dbl - first hang in it. I've had a 1.7 dbl for a couple months and decided to grab a 1.1 dbl while black was available.

I've spent 8 nights in the 1.7. Major issue is the "calf ridge.". Depending on set up it can vary from mild to severe (read very uncomfortable). I thought I'd see if the 1.1 hung any better since it should stretch a little more.

I'm 6'0" and about 225 right now (on the way down). I'm hanging on my wooden hammock stand - not the best way to tweak my hang, but football is on and I wanted to watch... Anyway, the 1.1 hangs with some calf ridge, too. It doesn't seem to be as bad, but it's stll there. The hammock otherwise seems a bit more comfortable than the 1.7 dbl.

It will take some nights in the field to decide which hammock I'll be keeping.

Wonder if there is a way to re-whip this thing to alleviate the calf ridge problem? I don't see this mentioned with other makes of hammock...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Wonder if there is a way to re-whip this thing to alleviate the calf ridge problem? I don't see this mentioned with other makes of hammock...
    I've noticed the "calf ridge" thing a couple of times when using my hammock. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. My thinking is that because for me, it comes and goes, I think it might have something to do with the way I'm hanging up the hammock. I've started noticing that when I use a stick to position the straps higher up on the tree, that I don't have the calf ridge problem. If I don't and just pull the straps tighter instead, I've got the problem.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I've noticed the "calf ridge" thing a couple of times when using my hammock. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. My thinking is that because for me, it comes and goes, I think it might have something to do with the way I'm hanging up the hammock. I've started noticing that when I use a stick to position the straps higher up on the tree, that I don't have the calf ridge problem. If I don't and just pull the straps tighter instead, I've got the problem.

TinaLouise
    I've noticed the same thing. The greater the hang angle, the less calf ridge.

Since I was hanging on a stand yesterday, I couldn't raise up the straps, but I did go grab a knot-bone out of the closet and used that to shorten up the hammock SRL by about 1" (just wrapped 3 wraps of cord around the knot bone). This caused more hammock sag and took away almost all of the calf ridge. Might try again today with an even shorter SRL (maybe 2" to 3" shorter) just to see what's what.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The other thing to try is to raise up your foot end a bit more. I found that fixed my Calf ridge issue.

Back on Topic:

1.1 or 1.7 will be great either way. The 1.7 would be a bit more durable, but I like the feel of the 1.1 fabric on my skin... but then I sleep clothed, so it almost doesn't matter...

Hmmm... going commando in a hammock... probably not the best idea during skeeter season...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12