Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've beenwondering that for a while, if I could use a gor-tex bivy with my SB inmy hammock, if it's block the wind and help insulation. You think you could use aBivy setup INSIDE the hammock andit stillwork?

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    Ebay is a great place to get a good price on these ECWS Bivy bags.
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    my son was using his in the hammock with just a thermarest pad no air in it and was almost too warm...as i said before it was only 27 degrees but he had no cold spots underneath and he is a cold sleeper....and just to mention one more thing i have put the bivvy in the bottom of the hammock and put my bags over it and had condensation this time with it around me and my face there was none go figure again if i can get around the weight of it it works better than anything i have for cold weather at this time...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I've beenwondering that for a while, if I could use a gor-tex bivy with my SB inmy hammock, if it's block the wind and help insulation. You think you could use aBivy setup INSIDE the hammock andit stillwork?
    It'll work fine. Sleeping bags aren't quite as convenient as a quilt in a hammock b/c it's not as easy to get inside, but the bivy is basically the same thing. It'll keep you just as dry in a hammock as it will on the ground. Hopefully it's a breathable bivy...

I got an Integral Designs bivy after my Winnemucca trip to keep my bag dry in the Sierras snow that was so dry it floated up under my tarp and landed on my PeaPod. Ended up making a hammock sock before I ever used it in the hammock, but I think it would have worked just fine.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    Ok -silly question time-not wanting to go soak my hammock but are most hammocks just nylon without any sil? Will the rain go through? I always thought it would be ideal to just use a pad and bivy in the hammock without the tarp at all.never been fond of mesh banana hammocks so if it holds water I'm gonna have to make a bridge hammock with a mesh bottom.I have the same army one and a Snugpack bivy but have just got the Marmot Alpinist to lighten up -I just think it would be a real free feeling not having a tarp -same as I would sleep on the ground just off it in a hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    It'll work fine. Sleeping bags aren't quite as convenient as a quilt in a hammock b/c it's not as easy to get inside, but the bivy is basically the same thing. It'll keep you just as dry in a hammock as it will on the ground. Hopefully it's a breathable bivy...

I got an Integral Designs bivy after my Winnemucca trip to keep my bag dry in the Sierras snow that was so dry it floated up under my tarp and landed on my PeaPod. Ended up making a hammock sock before I ever used it in the hammock, but I think it would have worked just fine.
    Thanks Jeff, that's what I was lookin' for. I can get a gor-tex bivy cover for nothing. I think eventually I'm gonna get an underquilt but really don't NEED one anytime soon. Probably by next winter but if a bivy will get me by I'm all about it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most hammocks are made from non-waterproof, breathable material. That doesn't always mean the water will soak thru quickly enough if it's raining hard, though. In a deluge, you may just end up in a hanging bathtub!

A bivy would probably keep your bag dry long enough to wake up and put up the tarp, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Actually more interested in it for it's windproofness. I find the wind to be my biggest contributer to cold. I was looking for something that would stop the convection across my butt in cold weather. Use a sleeping bag and when I used my polartec under me I was toasty with my bag and liner... was figuring gortex bivy would do the same but then I started reading some places that it really doesn't breathe and itll leave condensationon you and the like. Wanted some input from people with actual experience and not just hypothosizing or trying to sell their product by hashing another

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    This is an interesting idea. I just ordered a Modular Sleep System (hasn't arrived yet) but I had pretty much planned on using it for ground sleeping. Now I have a few more ideas to play with

Can you post any more details and/or pics of the mods you made to the bivy to use it as a sock? I'm not sure I want to cut up my bivy but I do like the idea of a Gore-Tex hammock sock...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Hi Slo, the military goretex bivies breath just fine....in cooler weather. As long as the outside temp is much lower than the inside temp goretex breathes very well. It's when there isn't too much of a temp differance where the goretex won't "breathe" and you will get soaked from sweat.

I spent many a moon in the mountains of Afghanistan in a bivy and never once had an issue with condensation.

Obviously, you would need to play around with your setup and find the right clothing balance. Because just because the goretex is working doesn't mean you wont get soaked with sweat if you have too many layers on.

I never though of using the bivy around the hammock. Will give that a try and see how it goes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast