Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks Rambler. You think in warmer weather then when you really just need a windshield on your backside while you're in a sleeping bag, youcould just lay the bivy down and sleep in your bag, ontop of your bivy but not inside? Or do you think that would cause condensation to collect under you?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The bivy can't substitute for bottom insulation, if I read your post right. The bivy will stop the wind from blowing thru your sleeping bag to steal the heat, but you'll still have convection across the surface of the bag. On top, this won't be a problem b/c the bag is still storing the heat (or at least slowing its progress to the environment)...but if you're laying on it and the bag is compressed, the loft won't slow the heat so the convection at the surface will steal quite a bit of your heat.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The bivy can't substitute for bottom insulation, if I read your post right. The bivy will stop the wind from blowing thru your sleeping bag to steal the heat, but you'll still have convection across the surface of the bag. On top, this won't be a problem b/c the bag is still storing the heat (or at least slowing its progress to the environment)...but if you're laying on it and the bag is compressed, the loft won't slow the heat so the convection at the surface will steal quite a bit of your heat.
    Not quite what I'm saying. Not wanting to use the bivy for insulation, I wanted to lay my sleeping bag ON TOP of the bivy instead of INSIDE, for warmer weather, however since I wouldn't be creating a micoclimate inside of thebivy which increases it's breathability, I was concerned about condensation using it more like a pad instead of a sack.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    just a thought, i guess if i wanted i could put the bivy around the hammock as pictured but place the other stuff on it and lay above the bivy it would be a bit narrow i think ,that may even allow me to put a layer of insulation inside the bivy between it and the bottom of the hammock...as an U.Q. alternative....maybe?

I like that idea. You could do the same thing with a couple yards of gortex, you can get 3 layer for about $20 a yard but would need minimal modications to make it applicable. Could put a fleece liner between it and the hammock. I like the idea

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    doing it that way would eliminate the need for all the shock cord and suspension need with an U.Q. because it would be would be supported by the hammock itself...

Hammock
    HAAB
    Tarp
    Campmor or Chinook
    Insulation
    CCF, mylar blanket
    Suspension
    ring buckles

bivy

Quote Originally Posted by TRAVELER View Post
    now this is not a light weight set up by any stretch but it had me cooking in mid 20-30 degree last night . had to keep peeling clothing off in about 27 degree night. now i am not very tall only about 5`7 so i had plenty of room just a bit tight however, i was laying on an over sized bass pro shop bag and covering with both of the G.I. bags snapped together i had no cold spots under me... and no condensation for a change. the bivy is gore tex and worked well i made a slit inline with the zipper and put velcro on the edges so i can also use it on the ground if needed
    I just used bivy inside the Grand Trunk hammock on top of CCF pad at my Joshua Tree rock hang. I then negotiated getting in sleeping bag then inside bivy.

I had an AMK 2 person mylar sheet under hammock.

After 4 hours I was roasting so flipped top section of bivy off me, used sleeping bag as top quilt, and lay on Gortex backside.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    that sleep system is nice but that tag means military -50 with all your cold weather gear on, when will the average person see -50?
    if you use one of the bags to make an under-quilt then you will be in business and wont need the bivy.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Heavy and Pricey

I think it's important to remember that the MSS is a Bivy sack and at least two sleeping bags. I found the bivy sack itself a little heavy (though for its great function I love it for ground camping) and with the other heavy bags it looks like this would be practical only on motorbike or car camping. I also found that there are some excellent deals on the bivy, but the bags are a bit pricey on EBay.

If I'm spending that kind of money I'd rather buy a good cold weather TQ.

I do give you kudos for ingenuity and using what you already have. I like saving grams and money!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123