WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    2 words - Jerry Chair

Beware - I shattered the cork handle of one of my Komperdell's by pounding it in with a rock.

I now dig a hole, place the tip in the ground, cover and push the whole pole in a little further. This gets the tip far into the ground and makes a solid back for your chair without pounding the pole like a huge nail and risking damaging the cork handle.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 01-02-2011 at 10:48.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    finally went out and purchased a pair for Christmas. Especially love them hiking in the snow or muddy conditions. Also love the porch mode of my set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    + 1 on the video here. I bought a copy from REI when I was contemplating getting poles. I have since seen it broken up into segments on YouTube, but you'd need to figure out which videos are the right ones. It's simpler and less time-consuming to spend 15 bucks for the video (and, frankly, more honest, too. )

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    2 words - Jerry Chair

Beware - I shattered the cork handle of one of my Komperdell's by pounding it in with a rock.

I now dig a hole, place the tip in the ground, cover and push the whole pole in a little further. This gets the tip far into the ground and makes a solid back for your chair without pounding the pole like a huge nail and risking damaging the cork handle.
    This post alone was worth this whole thread. In my quest to pack lighter I had given up my thermarest chair sleeve for my pad, and was kind of sad about that. I can't wait to try this out. I think with a 3/4-full length CCF pad and some cord, I could make something work. Keep the great ideas coming everyone!
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    A few years ago, I was on a hike up Old Rag Mtn. with the Boy Scouts. One of the scouts had 1 hiking pole and was just kind of swinging it and tripping over it. My knees started killing me and asked him if I could borrow his. It made a HUGH difference. My son told my mom about it and she got me a set for my B-day. I won't go on a long hike without them. You also asked "what else can you use them for". Well if you get a slow scout you can use them to poke and prod the scout up the hill.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    "what else can you use them for". Well if you get a slow scout you can use them to poke and prod the scout up the hill.
    So, are there electrified versions for better, um... Encouragement?

I had a set I got cheap, but they were really really heavy (12oz ea) A friend just gave me some 120cm ski poles and I'm surprised how light they are.

I guess you can't tie them to your pack if you don't want to use them...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I like to use them to set up the cantina for happy hour when it's raining. I prefer handles up.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    re handles up/down: My handles are sloped on the top, which makes them lousy for putting on the ground. However, I recently lashed the two together for better height and found that the spike bit is great for slipping into the d-ring for easy tarp attaching, but it's also good for skewering the pole into the ground a bit so it don't move!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I keep a couple of velcro ties on both of my poles, to secure the two poles together when needed. The poles are also a good place to keep a length of electrical or duct tape.
    I use to always carry a vine-twisted hiking staff, but now carry poles in case I need to go2ground. I've also use a pole to elevate a tree strap higher than my reach when the tree spread deems it neccessary.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I have had a pair of "cheap" Sojourns, which have served me well for 3 years now. One broke and I bought a replacement (they are sold as singles from Academy).

However, after checking out my sister's Lekis, I decided I wanted something better than what I had. I ended up with a set of Black Diamond Ergo Corks for Christmas. I used them for a trek down Stone Mountain last week. They worked very nice, being a 1/2 pound lighter than my Sojourns, which I have now passed down to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Here is a link to a site chock full of information on properly using and adjusting hiking poles. http://www.adventurebuddies.net/
    Waddy, that is a great site, loaded with very good information. Thanks for the info.

Like many others, I will use them to assist in poling out my tarp in a variety of ways.

SmokeBait, thanks for posting the pic. I will be looking into doing that with a tarp soon.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast