Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    1. why do most hammockers here on hammock forums spend more time hammocking in thier back yard. than they do on trips like kayaking, hiking, cycling or any other outdoor activity.

2. why do most hammocker on hammock forums carry way more gear than they did when were on the ground,
    1. This forum is all about ideas and ways to make your trip better. I would not say we spend more time there because its more fun. The back yard is the place to experiment. It takes lots of time for the trips.

2. Just because we talk about all the gear on this forum does not mean that we carry all the gear on a trip. On my 1st hammock only multiday hike I carried less weight than with a tent. Since then I'm constantly tweaking to improve the experience (i.e. comfort level) without sacrificing weight.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Alright - back to hammocks.

I'm on here more often than I hike b/c I have other responsibilities that keep be from hiking when I want to. This is my way of hammocking when I can't hammock.

And I like underquilts better than pads b/c they don't make me sweat and they're more comfortable to me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Alright - back to hammocks.

I'm on here more often than I hike b/c I have other responsibilities that keep be from hiking when I want to. This is my way of hammocking when I can't hammock.

And I like underquilts better than pads b/c they don't make me sweat and they're more comfortable to me.
    I'm the same with underquilts. I think the pad defeats the purpose of a hammock. Let me say though that those who use pads and like them, great. My personal opinion is against pads. So I carry an underquilt. Also, I need a lot of insulation in the cold. Those that have seen me know I lack natural insulation. If I just used a pad I would freeze.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pads give more insulation per weight than underquilts...a 20 oz pad would get you to much colder temps than a 20 oz underquilt. But it's just not comfortable to me!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

1 - why do most hammockers spend more time camping out in their back yard than any other camper/hiker

2 - people are replacing pads for quilts when they find the quilts to be more comfortable. its about comfort to them.

i have no problem hiking with my hammock, my thermarest pad and a sleeping bag. it works very well for me. i also have no experience with quilts for comparison in comfort.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Pads give more insulation per weight than underquilts...a 20 oz pad would get you to much colder temps than a 20 oz underquilt. But it's just not comfortable to me!
    I've never used a pad, so this is strictly from my mind. I would think that a pad would be colder on the sides. My Potomac comes up above me. Then my top blanket tucks in beside me. So there is full coverage all around, even when I move around. Unless a pad is so wide that it comes up the side of the hammock, I figured you would get cold on the sides when you move around, or if the top blanket gets shifted some.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I go to the back yard to get aquainted with my stuff and make it better. I am retrired now only six months and now I have time to go a couple of times a month for an overnight or two nights. When I was working and raising a family there was no way.
    I go to the forest for pure joy of being there. Whether I camp or not is not important. The forest is wonderful either way.
    I am so pleased to hear all the backyard knowledge that all of you have to share. There are small nuances that would not be noticed if all we did was go the the bush and back and nothing in between. I can't imagine being as far along as I am into hanging without all your help. I really am grateful for the site. Thanks.
    But I am also very happy to have spent what little time I did with Neo. I think I know what he is saying. He camps a lot. I mean a lot. Much more than I would enjoy, but he really likes it. That's very cool for him.
    If I were truly a minimalist I would use the system Neo uses. Because I have a Claytor, I know it would work, albeit with a thicker pad for myself.
    I greatly appreciate how all of these posts took some time to truly answer Neo's question. You are all quite gracious. Some other sites give me hell for just typing in caps. It's like I committed a capital (pun) offense. But not here.
    The only thing I regret about the site is that you all are so far away from Indiana. Mule.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    The only thing I regret about the site is that you all are so far away from Indiana. Mule.
    Not all of us...

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    Not all of us...
    Yeah, really. Although I've never been there, according to Mapquest (Which everyone knows is always right!) Kokomo is about 4 hours away, the same amount of time it takes me to get to Hot Springs.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I've never used a pad, so this is strictly from my mind. I would think that a pad would be colder on the sides. My Potomac comes up above me. Then my top blanket tucks in beside me. So there is full coverage all around, even when I move around. Unless a pad is so wide that it comes up the side of the hammock, I figured you would get cold on the sides when you move around, or if the top blanket gets shifted some.
    Yep a 20" wide pad will leave most folks cold in certain areas. That's the beuty of a Speer SPE or just a wider pad.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast