WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Practice makes perfect, but I still use one of these (yellow) on my ridgeline. It helps when you're just too tired to eyeball it, which some people are better at than others...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Like most, I like my feet end a few inches higher than my head end, and as others have stated, after a while (practice practice practice) you will be able to "eyeball it" to pretty accurate. As far as steep slopes go, I have hung with my foot end tree hugger ON THE GROUND at the base of a tree & my head end one at a bit over my head. It was GREAT!! Sadly, I had a disposable (ie; Cardboard clad) camera & it was pouring the rain so no pictures.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Practice makes perfect, but I still use one of these (yellow) on my ridgeline. It helps when you're just too tired to eyeball it, which some people are better at than others...

Someone please help me to understand this, because it seems just plain silly to me...it's a ridgeline and a hammock, not the foundation for a house.

What next, a 10 foot level to check the trees with and building code's for hammock hangers?

Not trying to give anyone a hard time.................but "great-googly-moogly", It's just a hammock!
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, and my hammock is not comfortable when it's not level, so... Why wouldn't I use a tool I have at hand to make my life easier. It's what all good problem solvers do.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Yep, and my hammock is not comfortable when it's not level, so... Why wouldn't I use a tool I have at hand to make my life easier. It's what all good problem solvers do.
    Interesting, what kind of hammock do you have and if you had it to do over again, would you pick one that was easier to setup and didn't require the carrying and use of specialized tools that aren't normally carried for backpacking...what ever they may be?

Thanks Patrick!
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I get your point. Let's get back OT.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Someone please help me to understand this, because it seems just plain silly to me...it's a ridgeline and a hammock, not the foundation for a house.

What next, a 10 foot level to check the trees with and building code's for hammock hangers?

Not trying to give anyone a hard time.................but "great-googly-moogly", It's just a hammock!
    Interesting, what kind of hammock do you have and if you had it to do over again, would you pick one that was easier to setup and didn't require the carrying and use of specialized tools that aren't normally carried for backpacking...what ever they may be?

Thanks Patrick!
    I agree, it's totally unnecessary. And it is a piece of gear that would probably have no other purpose. But what the heck. Now that I've got my packs from 50 pounds down to 25 or 20 or 15 pounds, I sometimes add some toys back in. In this case it probably won't cost you much over an ounce or less than an ounce.

I have some line levels that were intended to go on the ridge line of my first Hennessy hammock ultralight Explorer. I have never taken them out of the package, even three years later. One good reason would be that two of the hammock's I use most often don't even have ridge lines!

However, on more than one occasion, usually on sloping ground, I have had at least a few minutes of hassle involved as I went back and forth trying to figure out if the foot was a few inches higher (or in the case of the bridge hammock, if the head was a few inches higher). Then to make matters worse, I eyeball it completely wrong and figure it out once I'm laying in the hammock. None of that's a big deal, considering that I really normally have plenty of time once I get into camp to get things set up right. But what the heck, having a cool little laser gizmo like that to help me figure it out might be fun, especially if it only increased my pack weight from 15 pounds to 15 lbs. 1 oz. or so. So I say: go for it! It will at least provide some entertainment in camp! After you are set up, maybe you can use it to drive the squirrels crazy the way I use a laser to drive our cats crazy! ( Multi-use item! ) I think if I had that laser, I'd probably take it. Even though it's definitely unnecessary.

My GPS is several ounces heavier than it really needs to be, compared to the GPS I used to use. Between my old GPS at probably half the weight, and my map and compass, the odds of me getting lost were slim to none. But my newer GPS and all of the topographic maps, and aerial photos that are loaded on it, make it just too much fun to leave behind. Especially when planning routes for the day. Necessary? Definitely not. Enough fun for an extra few ounces? Almost always!

Images
    as long as its not in MY pack YOU can carry whatever you want

i used a 4 ft level with a separate line to level attachment to trees years ago. i then played with changing the strap lengths on each side. the shorted side is higher. common sense, but this playing around paid off when hanging in shelters with only 5 feet clearance. so go have fun (like u need my permission LOL).

i carry a sketch pad, slingshot and throwing knives
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Thanks Patrick!
    What definition of "normally carried" are you using? If you mean typical, in the grand scheme of backpacking, you could probably add hammocks, whoopie slings, dutch clips, etc. etc. to your list of not normally carried. For the people using these, it sounds very much like they are normally carried.

I haven't carried any kind of leveling device in the past, but I have had the scenario where I hang, step back to find that the two ends are nowhere near level, adjust, step back, adjust, etc. etc. and it seems like some of these ideas are very convenient, light for function, and would make hanging much simpler and more fun. Pretty much the criteria I would use for any piece of gear I consider taking.

May have to try one of these next time. Seems if the tarp ridgeline were set basically level, it would make a good guide for hanging the hammock and getting the proper foot end rise that I want on the first try.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    What definition of "normally carried" are you using? If you mean typical, in the grand scheme of backpacking, you could probably add hammocks, whoopie slings, dutch clips, etc. etc. to your list of not normally carried. For the people using these, it sounds very much like they are normally carried.

I haven't carried any kind of leveling device in the past, but I have had the scenario where I hang, step back to find that the two ends are nowhere near level, adjust, step back, adjust, etc. etc. and it seems like some of these ideas are very convenient, light for function, and would make hanging much simpler and more fun. Pretty much the criteria I would use for any piece of gear I consider taking.

May have to try one of these next time. Seems if the tarp ridgeline were set basically level, it would make a good guide for hanging the hammock and getting the proper foot end rise that I want on the first try.
    Didn't know there was more than one definition for "normally carried" and since this is a hammock forum, the "normally carried" would...as strange as it may sound, relate to hammocks.

I guess I just don't understand how a hammock can be completely useless, unless hung perfectly level, nor do I understand how carrying a level makes hammocking "more fun and simpler". That's seems like such a strange thing to say.

Perhaps it all comes down to OCD. LOL!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 01-04-2011 at 20:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast