Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

particular to peapod?

So BillyBob and/or anyone else who cares to opine...

shouldn't the "stuff stuff between the hammock and peapod" techinques work for an underquilt too? The one thing I can imagine is the sides of the underquilt maybe pulling away more from the sides of the hammock creating air gaps....but if not or if remedied, I'd think the same insulating principles are at work here...yes?

Grizz

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

peapod user

Well i have one of the speer peapods not the 2 oz but just 1 oz overfill. i have found it to be plenty warm even though i have always know that you need to keep your head out of a normal sleeping bag because of the moisture in your breath i have not had any probablems with the peapod i normaly close mine all the way to get the best warmth. i find that if i dont when i move in the hammock it forces all the warm air out the one hole in the velcro so unless i am too hot i close mine all the way. I have been doing some testing with mine recently and found that i does work on my clark NA too i actually think it works better on the clark than the speers hammock that i have. Also the peapod used with my snugfit underquilt and a top quilt i have been able to get the hammock down to around three degrees while sleeting outside. Was still pretty warm i had to push my quilt off me some. The only thing is that the shell on the peapod is breathable so to stay warm it needs to be protected from the wind or it will cut right through it bag.If you want to hear more info on the peapods just ask away i am sure many more will respond

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    So BillyBob and/or anyone else who cares to opine...

shouldn't the "stuff stuff between the hammock and peapod" techinques work for an underquilt too? The one thing I can imagine is the sides of the underquilt maybe pulling away more from the sides of the hammock creating air gaps....but if not or if remedied, I'd think the same insulating principles are at work here...yes?

Grizz
    Grizz, I don't know why it wouldn't work the same. Though I have not had an opportunity to try it.

However, the fact that I have not read of people doing this makes me wonder if it doesn't work as well for some reason. You may remember I have often written about this same technique with my Super Shelter. It works great with that, but you have to be careful about what you put under there and make sure it doesn't weigh enough to pull down and cause an air gap. Although you can adjust the elastic tension cords on the ends somewhat to compensate. But the lightest items worked best with that, such as space blanket on top of underpad, down vest in under cover, and best of all a Garlington insulator, because that trash bag + SB gave as much loft as needed for just a few ounces total weight, and no under cover sag would occur, even without etra adjustments. With these light weight approaches, I have been able to go to at least the teens with my SS.

But it all seems to work better and with less fuss with the PeaPod. And I think I know why. My SS, or PeaPod and I assume an UQ, can all be adjusted on each end to somewhat overcome any air gap caused by the weight of extra insulation placed below the hammock, but inside of the SS/Pod/UQ. But in addition to these adjustments, the PeaPod has that full length Velcro closure on top, by which the Pods weight is supported from the top, as well as the ends. When you close that, it is still going to pull the pod up to whatever distance it was already adjusted too before you add extra insulation. Any "pulling downward" from extra weight down in the pod seems to be completely negated. You still have to account for, and deal with, any crushing of loft that might occur from the weight of the extra insulation pushing down on the pods down. So you might have a gap from that. And still, the lighter and fluffier the insulation you place in there, the less this will be a problem, just like with the SS. But whatever I place in there, it seems easier to adjust for this, by far, with the pod. And I think that is because of the weight being supported along the full length, as well as on the sides. But that is just a guess.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-18-2008 at 12:00.

Images
    PS:
    And also ( still guessing here) I suspect that any air gap that does occur does not have as much effect. With my SS, any gap was devastating, essentially resulting in zero insulation. Avoiding a gap was the most important thing. Because air would rush in from the sides and between your back and the insulation ( or pad ) which was gapping away from your back. This adjustment was critical whether you added extra stuff or not! But since the pod is sealed along the top, and no matter how it is adjusted the side of the pod and its thick insulation is always in snug contact with the hammock, even if it is not fully closed on top. So, cold air is hindered from rushing down from the top and filling whatever small gap you might have between your back and the pods down.

Don't get me wrong, no gap is definitely better than a gap. But I feel that for this reason, the pod is far more forgiving of a small adjustment error than my SS is, as much as I love my SS. I don't know for sure, this is just a WA Guess.
    All I know is this thing works great! Some of this may explain why Turk is so crazy about his Katahdin used in pod mode.

Tom Sawyer, thanks for the comments! It's always great to get the real story from those who have used items extensively in the field.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-18-2008 at 12:08.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    ....... Also the peapod used with my snugfit underquilt and a top quilt i have been able to get the hammock down to around three degrees while sleeting outside. Was still pretty warm i had to push my quilt off me some...................
    Now maybe it's just me, but extra Snugfit UNDERNEATH or not, I think having to push your top quilt off at 3° is most impressive! I have actually been more impressed with this pods abilities as a sleeping bag for top temps than any other aspect. It is amazing how warm it is on top with the addition of a summer weight quilt or even just plenty of warm clothing. And I've got another theory about that.

2.5" loft on top ( this pods rating) would be considered a 20° bag by most ground standards. But the pod performs poorly compared to these standards ( during hammock use ) because of the air gap, so it is only rated at about 50° during hammock use, though I think for me it's closer to 40-45° asumming some warm longjohns.

However, if you fill that space with one or a couple of inches or more of loft, what do you have now in total? A lot more than 2.5". You have done more than just do away with a gap. With a Speer overfill 17 oz top blanket you would have an additional 2.5" loft. Now that is going to be some kind of warm, as TomSawyer's post indicates was his experience with his top quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I, also have the Peapod with a 2 oz overfill and a Speer 8.5. I first tried it at 43F using only the Peapod and was extremely warm, so much so that I had to crack the pod at least half way. I've since used it with a Feathered Friends Winter Wren (also a 2 oz overfill) and have gone well into the teens and been toasty using nothing else. I only wear either a full set of Paty 3 or else a set of Icebreaker 200 for sleeping. Some really cold weather is on the way, so it should get well below zero (F). I'd guess that it's going to be pushing it at that temperature, but if I get the chance, I'll give it a try.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    well if the pod is completly closed like i said then the warm air that is trapped is significant. I am sure i saw somewhere some that you do need more insulation below you in a hammock than above you so that may explain the extra warmth with my snugfit under me. The air gap above you that makes the peapod not as effective is eliminated when using it with a clark hammock because the side walls on that hammock are curved and much lower than on my speer hammock so it brings the pod right down on you thus closing the gap. plus the pockets in the clark fill the area beaneth you if you dont pitch the pod perfect.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    ......... The air gap above you that makes the peapod not as effective is eliminated when using it with a clark hammock because the side walls on that hammock are curved and much lower than on my speer hammock so it brings the pod right down on you thus closing the gap. plus the pockets in the clark fill the area beaneth you if you dont pitch the pod perfect.
    Now that is some useful info! I haven't looked into the Clark hammocks, now I may have to. How are they for side sleeping and general comfort?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-18-2008 at 18:48.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I, also have the Peapod with a 2 oz overfill and a Speer 8.5. I first tried it at 43F using only the Peapod and was extremely warm, so much so that I had to crack the pod at least half way. I've since used it with a Feathered Friends Winter Wren (also a 2 oz overfill) and have gone well into the teens and been toasty using nothing else. I only wear either a full set of Paty 3 or else a set of Icebreaker 200 for sleeping. Some really cold weather is on the way, so it should get well below zero (F). I'd guess that it's going to be pushing it at that temperature, but if I get the chance, I'll give it a try.
    Yeah, that 43° with nothing much else kind of confirms my experience so far, so I'm glad to hear it. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get below Zero ON TOP with that Winter Wren, but since your Wren's loft directly underneath will be crushed, it really will be pushing it as far as your backs warmth. Unless you add some clothing and/or space blanket/pads, and then I would not be surprised if you could go that low. I can't wait to hear your results.
    Bill

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    What a great Thread, thanks everyone. I have a Speer Snugfit. In reading these posts I read that the Pod has to begin hanging lower than the hammock. ?????
    I didn't get instructions with my Snugfit, but is this necessary with the Snugfit too?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast