Thread: Ozark hang

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Ozark hang

I know that there has been talk of a March Ozark hang for this year. My wife has been asking when it is so that some other trips and the calendar can be planned. I told her that there has not been a discussion about it yet, so I'm starting the discussion so the dates can get set.
    You would think that two retired people would not need to schedule three months in advance.

Edit: looks like March 11-13. Thanks for the quick reply SmokeHouse.
    Last edited by Walking Bear; 01-03-2011 at 13:23.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    WB,,, I was just typing it up and noticed you had something already up. Could someone please put the Date of March 11-13 on Thread... thanks.

It’s the 1st of the year and time to see who is interested for another Arkansas Ozark Hang. We are camping again at Kyles Landing on the Buffalo River with lots to do. Many water falls in this area to hike to, floating the Buffalo River, hiking the Buffalo River Trail or just hang around at camp. The date will be March 11-13. I will be there March 10 and can stay through the 14th for anyone staying longer. Hope to see you there.

http://www.buffaloriver.com/rivermap.aspx

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yippee!!!! I've got it on the calendar.

Thanks for organizing this again. It was an awesome affair last year.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I am putting those dates on my calendar!

Due to our spring break dates, if we are able to make it, we'll do like last year... pick up my teacher wife from school Friday when the kids hit the parking lot and head north. Most likely will be there around lunchtime or shortly after on Saturday.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I have always wanted to paddle the Buffalo. Add to it a group hang...perfect. Watching this thread with great interest!
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    dag-nabbit- I'm booked for that weekend and the one after!
    KM (who really wants to do the ozarks someday..)

any advice about april weekends? (except the 1st one..)

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm a possible. However, the following weekend would be better for me. If you have never been to Arkansas and the Buffalo, you're in for a real treat. It's my backyard! Expect wet weather that time of year.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I'm in...........
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I think I've actually been over the Buffalo. That's not saying much really. Two years ago I went down to Eureka Springs with the Kawasaki Vulcan group. I got out in a group of three and we went to Jasper, Ozone burger barn,(no particular order here) but I remember we went past where they said Dogpatch used to be and got on a road marked Dangerous or something like that for motorcycles. At the bottom or a bunch of cutbacks was an old Warren truss bridge over the Buffalo I think. I've got a picture, wait, see if this looks familiar.

Anyways, made pretty good friends right off with the guy what was leading (yes, I've been watching a little too much of Shug's Karl videos) and emailed back and forth trying to get the path we took right among other things. Before I had it all down though he had an accident working on his truck and he's gone now. I'd like to locate this area along with going down to the Hang. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to be geared up for it this spring though but probably could make next years.

Whayneneal, can you identify the location of this bridge? Silly me, back then He took a picture of the placard on the bridge. I didn't have my good camera out and remember saying 'Those usually don't turn out for me.' Coulda helped.

Looks like my first thread subscription time.

Cooler story on this bridge though. It took us quite some time to get down the hill to this bridge, I'd say 15 maybe 20 minutes of rather hard riding. We pulled over to the side as there was a little road just before it to take a picture and talk about coming down, we thought we were something. Just after we took the bike in front of bridge pictures we heard some Sport bikes crest the hill way up top. It took us at least 20 minutes, about 2 minutes later I said 'Maybe we should back our bikes a ways away from the road and we got em off the side. We hadn't much got them out of the way when the first 2 bikes went by popping up on a wheelie as they hit the bridge. There's a sharp corner just past the other end of the bridge, if a car was coming there'd be no place to go. They made it though. As they disappeared from our hearing we could here more coming. The next guy had one of those stick on Mowhawks and he also popped a wheelie across the bridge, made the corner but not as smoothly as his front running friends. About a minute later the rest of the bikes and a Corvette chase car, though I don't know what good he'd do in that as the passenger seat was full went buy. We passed this group several times during the day but watching them go across the bridge in such abandon kinda slowed us cruiser riders down a bit. We were too old and not smart enough anymore to know we had control of the whole world. That and I don't think I could have pushed my cruiser down the mountain any faster then I did and THEY did it in a third of the time.

Good memories though.
    Last edited by MrClean417; 01-03-2011 at 18:20.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There are great trails in the area, including one that runs the length of the river. We like to float the river then backpack back. Big fun! Not sure about the bridge. I'll ask around though. One of my friends is bound to know. Were you on Hwy 7? If so, it is possibly the Pruitt Bridge.
    Last edited by whayneneal; 01-03-2011 at 18:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast