Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark

The Perfect Clark Jungle Hammock ? ? ?

I have made a number of hammock purchases from Clark
    And from the get go . . . have always looked . . .
    looked . . . and contemplate . . . each purchase,
    where as, to make sure I made the right choices from their choice lists.

So now I am thinking . . . for you:
    1. What were your considerations in your choice ?
    2. What options would you like to see ?

The options that I would like to see are:

1. Velcro tabs in each of the pockets 2 inside corners, to hold the Z-Liner in place.

2. A storage pocket at the head end inside
    that would be like the outside top stoage pockets for the Bug and weathersheild.

3. ? ? ? ?
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Not much I can improve on from the NA. I would like to see a different suspension systems like the cinch buckle and Straps on the WBBB.
    Maybe a structural ridge line to support the bug net instead of pulling it from each end like it does though I am not sure how this would work.
    I like the fact that the bug net is removable. Love the weather shield. Like the integral tarp. Not really sure how I could improve it much over the present design other than suspension.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    I,ve had the NA for 6+ years. It is an all around great hammock with included features that are add ons for other manufacturers. Yeah they are expensive but you get everything in one package. The only thing that I would change is if Clark could design a "foot box" to help with the bananna lie. I have used the support under the knee to solve this and I use the NA alot but, I think a solution from Clark would be nice. I have not used the newer Clark models so maybe this has been addressed already?
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    1. What were your considerations in your choice ?
    2. What options would you like to see ?

The options that I would like to see are:

1. Velcro tabs in each of the pockets 2 inside corners, to hold the Z-Liner in place.

2. A storage pocket at the head end inside
    that would be like the outside top stoage pockets for the Bug and weathersheild.

3. ? ? ? ?
    I think the only thing I'd like would be a different suspension system. It'd be nice if the ropes were already whoopies from the get go made from amsteel.
    One thing to point out, I've already got velcro tabs and pocket flaps covering each pocket on my Tropical (standard issue!!).
    And I added an inside ridgeline when I first got my Clark. Easy to add and I would think the company could add it just as easily. I keep a tiny flashlight hanging there and will hang up my socks at night there.
    I've been thinking of adding a mesh type bag (like what's on the inside ridgeline of the HH's) to hold small items from my pockets. I usually put them into one of the outside clark pockets. Sometimes during peak skeeter season, I've nearly lost my hand when unziping the netting to reach inside a pocket to get something!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Cookie:

Well, teh NX series sort of takes the footbox issue into consideration. I have never tried a NA, but the NX specifically states that side-sleeping is possible, and I do so all the time. I am able to attain a modified diagonal lay (not like a WB or a HH). Hope this answers your question.

Jim

I am only 5'6" but I easily sleep diagonal and even on my side.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    The NX is a good hammock, one of my favorite colder weather hammocks. I regularly sleep on my side in the NX, which is one of the things I like about it, and I am 5'9", 175. I have found the trick with the NX to be a tighter suspension attached lower on the tree, instead of loose with an angle like most of my other hammocks. But that is my opinion - try it, and see if it works for you.

My wish list for the NX was an internal ridgeline, but I added that to mine on my own. I can suspend the netting without adding a separate line, a pole mod or the Clark tarp. So I guess I would add another tarp option. I like my own tarp, even though the Clark tarp is sufficient to keep the rain off the hammock and becomes a decent storm coccoon. I would be troubled calling it a storm shelter, because in true storm pitch the only thing you can do with it in that mode is hunker claustraphobicly in your hammock. A tarp with a true storm shelter mode allows you to cook from the hammock as well, like any of the vendors that sell tarps with doors or with extra fabric/pulls that allow you to create doors. I equate the Clark tarp to the Hennessey stock tarp, even though the Hennessey "hankie" is just barely large enough to keep a good rain off, let alone a rain with an "angle" to it. Your UQ will get wet eventually. The Clark tarp is much better than that, but still does not allow the ability to live under your tarp in foul conditions, for days if necessary, and pack your gear in a driving rain without something besides the tarp getting wet. My philosophy with a tarp is that if you need a tarp, you NEED a tarp. Otherwise, you can pitch without one and be just fine.

I would also add a decent suspension. I switched mine out after playing with different devices, such as the hitchcraft. I loved the way they worked with the Clark rope on my NA, but devices are just that - devices. One more thing to worry about. Fine if you are in a campground or your backyard, but backcountry or on a longer hike, one more thing to keep track of.

Work on the weight. It is my heaviest hammock, and I usually leave the Clark in the car or at home because of it. Make an ultralight version of the NA - not the Ultralight that they currently sell. How is 2lbs, 6oz. ultralight? I guess in comparison it is. The fabric doesn't have to be nuclear bomb proof for everyone. I would use it a lot more often because of the other features if it was lighter, but still had the other features. I love the weathershield, and a totally removable weathershield would be an option that other manufacturers should look at. The internal pocket is great. The built-in stuffsack. Zippers on either side for left or right entry. The pockets. I even like the drip rings.

I love my Clark NA for what it is - a great short hike, campground, cold or foul weather hammock. That said, it will never go on a long hike with me because of these other reasons.

Some features I'd like to see...

* An ultralite version of the NA
    * Access to the underside pockets from inside the hammock; perhaps not all, but one or two would be nice.
    * An integrated but removable gear hammock next to the main hammock, for backpacks; as light as possible of course.
    * Internal tie off points for my sleeping pad and/or sleeping bagto keep them from sliding down.
    * A no tarp option, completely waterproof with just the weather shield. Sort of like a roomy off the ground bivy bag.
    * A snakeskin like option to help keep the hammock off the ground when pitching or taking down.
    * An integrated water collection system on the tarp

I'm not new to hammocks, just Clark hammocks. I don't know if Clark already handles any of these already.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    If they made an ultra light version of the Nx250,for really hot weather, with no pockets, maybe narrower, so the sides are not so tall above your body, blocking any breeze. Keep the weather shield, add A Huge camo tarp. Bigger than Vertex. I started with a NA. Then they built the NX, with the spreaders that I was nearly about to home-build into the NA.
    Sold the NA and ordered NX150. Lovin' it. I have been seriously comntemplating making a Phone call to see about a custom-build of the above.

• + New Posts