Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cable Suspended Hammock Stand

Hi all. Here's my dilemma. I have about 10 acres of land but its all field without trees. I would like to either make or purchase a hammock stand but it would have to fall within certain criteria.

1. I need to be able to put it up and take it down as the wife doesn't want it as a permanent fixture in the yard.

2. It need's to break apart in such a way so that storage takes up a small foot print.

3. I would like to be able to set this up on different areas of my property.

Doing a few searches on the forum for hammock stands I've come across several ingenious designs. One stood out given my circumstances but for the life of me I can't seem to find it now to link to. I think it may have been posted by Warbonnet.

Anyway I drew a little sketch to give you guy's an idea of what I was thinking. Forgive me I’m no artist.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The ground anchors are from American Ground Anchors. I believe someone recommended these in the thread that I can't seem to find now. These seem like a nice option because they screw in and out of the ground easily. They also have a flat head that can be screwed flush to the ground so I could remove the poles and cables and leave these in the ground.

I would have to ability to mow over the tops of them without worrying about hitting them with the mower blades.

The two poles can easily be stored vertically along the wall in the garage occupying a small footprint.

What size aluminum pole (1 1/2", 2", etc) do you think I need to safely pull this off?

To anyone who has built something similar, how has it worked out for you?

Thanks for your input guys.

Tim

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    This one is more of a discussion of the actual anchors used to attach it to the ground but it does go through some of the other parts as well.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22443

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

2 X 2 Portable Stand

I made a stand out of 6' 2x2 lumber that is very portable, goes up and down quickly and uses no tools to assemble and no loose parts to get lost or drop.

Simply cross 2 of the legs and drill a 5/16" hole thru them and use a connector nut and 2 eyelets. The connector nut is a little larger in diameter and requires boring out the joining sides of the 2x2's slightly. This gives you an anchor eye and an eye to attach your hammock. Above the intersection of the legs drill and bolt on another 2x2 that goes to the other side for a ridge pole. In the center where they meet slide a 2" pcv pipe over the intersection and add a line/rope/cable from side a to side b, this holds the unit together while you are fiddling with the anchors. I also added eyelets at the bottom of the legs with para cord to limit the spread of the legs. When finished you can trim the the excess wood and the whole thing folds together and takes up very little space. I have a few pictures of earlier prototypes that will give you some good ideas. I use this setup on canoe trips where we camp on the sandbars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

2 x 2 stand

Here is a picture of the stand when collapsed and a pair of them in my canoe ready for a little fishin trip. The picture of the collapsed stand is an older pic, I have since gone to a 2 piece ridgepole. A pair of 6' 2x2 and the pvc pipe, makes for a 12' center and easier to manage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Captain,
    What kind of weight do you expect that can hold? I see one of you is of the larger variety, I myself tip the scale at 300ish. I really like the compact portability of this thing.

Long term durability?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    One suggestion that has been made in the past it to sink a large diameter pipe in the ground that ends at or slightly below grade. Ideally, the pipe would be set in concrete with an 8" layer of gravel below for drainage. If it is in concrete you could use ABS or PVC with about a 2" ID.

Then get yourself 2 removable pipes for uprights (1.5" SCHD 40 steel or aluminum), and you have a ready to use hammock stand that disappears when you are not using it. You may want to add tie-outs or a spreader bar to keep the uprights from bending together.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    One suggestion that has been made in the past it to sink a large diameter pipe in the ground that ends at or slightly below grade. Ideally, the pipe would be set in concrete with an 8" layer of gravel below for drainage. If it is in concrete you could use ABS or PVC with about a 2" ID.

Then get yourself 2 removable pipes for uprights (1.5" SCHD 40 steel or aluminum), and you have a ready to use hammock stand that disappears when you are not using it. You may want to add tie-outs or a spreader bar to keep the uprights from bending together.
    I placed three 4X4s around my backyard fire ring in a triangle. I really like the PVC in concrete with removable pole idea. I may end up pullin up my 4X4s and doin the PVC/pole thing. In retrospect I used 10ft 4X4s but wished I used 8ft 6X6s. I only put them a little over 2ft deep, so far so good but deeper is better.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    Captain,
    What kind of weight do you expect that can hold? I see one of you is of the larger variety, I myself tip the scale at 300ish. I really like the compact portability of this thing.

Long term durability?
    I am the older version, my son is the larger version. I am 220 and the boy is 250+ and we do not have any problems with the stands as long as the anchors that you use can do the job. We use 30" cable trapping anchors that have to be pounded into the ground, but since we use them in sand we just dig them out when we leave. The trick is to angle the cable back towards the stand and not away. If you angle the cable away it cuts thru the sand when you get in the hammock and becomes loose which could cause the stand to collapse one way or the other. We have been using this setup for 2 years and have not broken one yet except when I put the anchor in wrong.

Images
    i made one almost exactly like your drawing,
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2928

i've used lawn screws, and stationry objects.
    i think using long pieces of dyneema and just using trucker's hitches would probably work better, you can feel the polyester straps stretching. i used 2 1/8" dia. aluminum tele tubing. and it's overkill, i've had 2 foot ends on one pole and it handled that no problem.

i like the 4 pole design though, it allows the single stake. the largest easton poles .742 dia might be enough (http://questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT%20POLES) that would be convenient if they were strong enough.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Would she like it if it looked like a Arbor or Gazebo? Then you can string up the hammock whenever you feel like it and not worry about set up/take down

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast