Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images

Peapod on blackbird

I saw some discussion of this but hoped for more info. If you leave the side tieouts unstaked on the BB, will the Speer peapod work on it? pros/cons? I lay pretty much on full diagonal in my BB and my feet are in the corner of the box and my head right next to the side with only inches to spare. Wondering about the PP vs the larger polar pod for size and loft and diagonal lay, but don't want too big of a pod that would be hard to keep snug underneath. I'm 6'2", 235 lbs.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The problem is not the tie-outs.

What will you do with the WBBB bugnet and ridgeline? Neither PPod will work with the bugnet or the ridgeline.

I believe both the PeaPod and the PolarPod will work with a Traveler.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25408

Some of the pros and cons are listed in that thread. I don't consider it an optimum combo. Because as Mac said, the bug net and shelf ( you can go under the RL) are going to be in the way a bit. They are going to lift it up for a pretty good gap on the right side. On the left side, it will drape down right on you pretty well like a sleeping bag on the ground. Depending on what you are trying to do, the above could be a positive(lots of room) or a negative. However, the negative ( not as warm as you want on top due to right side gap) can be overcome with a light TQ, which many use with the PeaPod any way.

Definitely doable. But I like the Claytor No Net combo much better. Just lot's more room for the pod to drape onto you and more room to add extra insulation for super cold temps. Traveler would probably work great with a PeaPod, but I have not tried it.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Don't forget The Switchback...it is a netted hammock and the netting unzips on both sides completely getting out of the way of the PeaPod. It's the first hammock I tried the PeaPod on....I think there is a lighter weight SwitchBack out now too. You can get diagonal in it, nothing like you can in a BlackBird but it is a nice hammock in its own right...especially since it is PeaPod compatible.
    When you look at the PolarPod you have to ask if you need more length and more width...maybe you do....to me its just more space to heat with your body.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images
    Hmmm. Good stuff to think about. Thanks guys.

But I'm confused. Mac you say it won't work but BB says it will but with limitations.

I'm not obsessed with getting the max warmth for weight but it is a lesser factor. I understand that I'd be warming up a lot of dead air and would expect to use a TQ or bag inside. I like to use a poncho liner as a top cover over the ridgeline/net and it fits almost perfectly, giving me a semi-climate controlled space that I love, maybe 10-15 degrees warmer inside if it is say 32F outside, depending on wind. Nice for keeping the face from freezing and moving around lightly covered arms.

I'm mainly just wondering if peapod or polarpod will fit all the way around the net/ridgeline/footbox without significant compression of loft?? I presumed it would but wanted to verify.

Also, where best to leave a blowhole in the velcro, on top or maybe alongside nearer the zipper at the head?

I like the idea of massive underneath and side coverage with no chance of cold spots. Then the top cover maybe could give 20-30 degrees of warmth alone?? The web site claims good to 50 degrees alone and I'm sure that is true but it would be with less dead space than in the BB hammock. I may experiment with two or three poncho liners layered on top to help me decide.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yakrs4 View Post
    I'm mainly just wondering if peapod or polarpod will fit all the way around the net/ridgeline/footbox without significant compression of loft?? I presumed it would but wanted to verify.
    Contact Tree to Tree Trail Gear to find out for sure.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The problem is not the tie-outs.

What will you do with the WBBB bugnet and ridgeline? Neither PPod will work with the bugnet or the ridgeline.

I believe both the PeaPod and the PolarPod will work with a Traveler.
    Note: The Traveler, like the WBBB, does have a ridgeline:

Quote from Warbonnet website:

"The Traveler Hammock ... features a structural ridgeline to take most of the guesswork out of setting the sag. (101”RL)..."
    Last edited by Kaliram; 01-11-2011 at 17:44.
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaliram View Post
    Note: The Traveler, like the WBBB, does have a ridgeline:

Quote from Warbonnet website:

"The Traveler Hammock ... features a structural ridgeline to take most of the guesswork out of setting the sag. (101”RL)..."
    On a Traveler, there is no netting to force the pp to go over/around the rl. The pp would go under the rl.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yeah, I meant to say "bugnet AND the ridgeline."
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images

pseudo polar pod test

See long thread under speer hammocks. triple thick poncho liner polar pod wannabe kept blackbird cocoon at a balmy 58F on an 18 degree night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast