Thread: Mt. Ranier

Unhappy Mt. Ranier

I am a new user of hammocks insofar as having it as my shelter. I just bought a Clark NX-250 for a 90 mile hike around Mt. Ranier; the Wonderland Trail. My questions are: "are there enough trees at campsites (9 days) for hammock pitching, and what is the probable diameter of the trees that I will be using?" I have done a lot of hiking, but none in this area and none with hammocks as my shelter.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've only spent a couple hours on Ranier, but from what I remember there were plenty of trees. Many were very large, but there were also some smaller one interspersed. As long as you're not above treeline, I think you'll be ok with a couple minutes of searching.

Maybe someone here who has hiked the Wonderland Trail can give you a more confident answer.

Welcome to the forum!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Don't have any experience on the Wonderland Trail, but calling the local ranger station might be helpful. Welcome to the forum.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I have never hiked the trail. But, if what I remember reading is correct, some parts of the trail will take you above the tree line. I would not let that deter me from taking a hammock on the trail though. Just be ready to search around for a hanging spot or going to ground hammock bivy style.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

designated campsites

All the designated camp sites are below timberline. The problem is that they are designed as tent pads. A solo hanger could probably make it work if you got into your camps early and had first choice of sites. There are some shelter sites that might be a problem.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    You're going to be just fine with the hammock. In fact, it's kind of hard to find a place you can't hang a hammock around here Bring your tarp, though; things get gray, wet, and windy in a hurry...

Mt. Rainier

Not sure when you're planning on going but I'll be attempting my first hammock camping on a segment of the Wonderland Trail in 10 days. I'll be doing a 32 mile leg from Mowich Lake to Fryingpan Creek. I'll let you know if I run into any issues finding suitable trees.

Last summer we did another ~32 mile leg from Longmire to Mowich. I tent camped that trip, but don't recall any areas without trees suitable for hanging.

Have fun.

Talking About to leave

Thanx for the update. I leave for Longmire on Friday (9/17) and leave on the hike Monday (9/20). I have tried out the Clark hammock and am Very Impressed. I'm looking forward to the trip and the use of a hammock as my shelter. I'll post my trip and any problems when I get back.

TheOldTroll

Hammock
    Grand trunk ultra light
    Tarp
    10x8 blue tarp
    Insulation
    probly DIY
    Suspension
    two trees?
    welcome to my neck of the woods from what i know of the trail i would recommend bringing your bigger tree straps and extra rope there should be plenty of trees
    EMBRACE THE SUCK

Wrap up

Started the trip, but got major rained out. The hammock was fine, but the second bridge was washed out. Stored my pack and scrambled accross and walked to the first camp. 7 of 9 sites flooded; which did not affect my plans. But I bailed because the trip looked like it was going to stay wet.

I used the Clark in October for a hike into the Grand Canyon. Great experience.

• + New Posts