Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Green Ridge State Forest: 4/20-4/25 Hike and Hang Trip Planning

Hello HF. So I'd like to organize the first Annual Hike and Hang Shake Down at Green Ridge State Forest. Green Ridge State Forest is located near Cumberland MD right below the border of Northern PA. I plan on hiking the 45 mile loop between 4/20-4/25 covering 10-12 miles (4 nights 5 days apx.) a day of moderate to hard hiking and camping in the designated back country camp sites which are located apx. every 10 miles (4 shelters throughout the loop as well). This is primitive wilderness camping with clearly marked white blaze trails with numerous ways to access the trail loop allowing anyone to come for any length of time and have a designated spot at night to meet up with group. I know that often times we do a group hang but I thought this would be a fun new (I think new) great idea. The objective would be that groups or individuals can hike during the day together in what ever fashion they desire and all camp toogether at night discussion gear and the day's event. This is intended to be a non-car camping trip to see what others back pack with. I know that not everyone hikes at the same pace which is why I though it be cool to go about it this way cause it allows people to HYOH but meet up with the group on the 4-5 nights out in the woods (some planning still needs to be done but wanted to see if their was any interest in it first before I stated planning on my own). I know its right after the Spring MAHA and in the total opposite direction so I don't know how many can or would attend but I'm a teacher and this is when I have spring break so I wanted to open it up to the group. I do plan on still attending the Spring MAHA as well. So if people are down please respond to this thread with any Ideas/suggestions. I am pretty flexible on the planing side but cant start the hike till Wednesday night due to Passover Seder being on Monday and Tuesday night. This also allows people a couple of days after the MAHA to get back home and gather up what gear they need for the hike/hang. So post if interested. And hope this becomes one of our new Annual hangs.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    I'm definately interested. I would have to join up on Friday, since I have to work through thursday. Keep me posted and I'll look further into it on my end.

By the way, I went out for a hike this weekend and spent the first couple miles thinking about organizing this exact thing somewhere in PA. Great minds think alike

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Awesome Pro, would love to have anybody and everybody join. Like I said before the great thing about this trail is that their are 4 easy access points though out the loop that you can start at and get to the designated shelter by night fall easily.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    I'm interested but can't commit just yet.

Images
    BTW - the blaze colors have been changed in the forest. Long Pond, Deep Run, and Log Roll are Red now. Painted some of that myself. :-)

I live in Cumberland, MD and am definitely interested in this.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    BTW - the blaze colors have been changed in the forest. Long Pond, Deep Run, and Log Roll are Red now. Painted some of that myself. :-)

I live in Cumberland, MD and am definitely interested in this.
    Awesome to know thanks Joe. Its still one continious 45 mi trail I hope so that's what the website said . I just ordered the trail guide and map so once I get that ill have more updated info then the website. And joe it be great to have a local come along have u done the loop before any thing u can share is appriciated

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I am definitely interested in this hike / hang. However it to far out in the future for me to be able to commit yet. My work / travel schedule is always in a state of flux. I will have to wait till much closer to the dates before committing. But I will be keeping a close interested eye on this tread.
    Terry

Here is some info on this area: http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo...9;t=9991144291
    http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id178.html
    http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id105.html

There is a bunch more but through the links you can find them, I will be paying close attention to this thread as I am off the entire week and was planning to do some backpacking on the AT, but I might change plans!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Awesome to know thanks Joe. Its still one continious 45 mi trail I hope so that's what the website said . I just ordered the trail guide and map so once I get that ill have more updated info then the website. And joe it be great to have a local come along have u done the loop before any thing u can share is appriciated
    From what I have read it's not one continuous loop! There are a bunch of trails there in the park and through using all the trails you can make a total hike of 42 or something like miles!

I have also read that water might be a issue for this area, from other posts I have read some ran into water problems, oil sheened water and such as they allow ATV's in the areas and some of the piping might not be in order/turned off! From what I gather you can or someone can call the ranger office and find out what the water status is, not sure if it's posted on the web site!?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Thanks for that info cranky bear. I'm not dead set for that hike but just to hike during the given time frame. I am open to suggestions and would even do a point A to B hike if their are people whom want to shuttle. I would however like to keep the hike in W. MD/WV area. I liked the ideah of green ridge from the info on the site but it appears further research is needed on my part. Let's keep the suggestions and info on green ridge rolling in
    Last edited by lazy river road; 01-04-2011 at 22:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast