Images

Removing Bartacking

I'm trying to remove some webbing that's bartacked to coated nylon, and I'm having a really hard time with the bartacking. It's so tight that I wonder whether they used some kind of hydraulic press to put it on. There's absolutely no slack in the threads at all. I've already poked one hole in the coated nylon using one of those unpicker things.

Is there an easier way?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Razor blade down the middle of the bartac. It will ruin the webbing though.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - that's a lot of holes in the webbing. If you're using it for any kind of load-bearing, I'd just cut above the bar tack and use what's left. JMHO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I'll try that then. I don't really need to use the webbing again, as it's only short pieces for attachments.

How about handsewing webbing in a loop? I wanted to put a D ring on a piece of webbing that's sewn right into the seams of the item, since I don't want to do major surgery on the nylon material by removing it. It wouldn't be taking any major loads. If I used a machine to sew it then I would need to leave enough webbing to fit the foot of the sewing machine between the D ring and the fabric, and I don't want it flapping around. I figured that if I sewed it by hand then I could get it much closer to the fabric. Would an ordinary needle and a thimble be adequate, or would it be too much of an ordeal pushing the needle through the doubled webbing?

Actually, come to think of it I don't need a D ring - all I need is a smaller webbing loop. The webbing loop comes out of a seam and doubles back on itself and is bartacked through, so cutting it out would be a major pita. It's about 8" of exposed webbing currently, but I really only need enough to be able to fit some light bungee cord through.

I know it's silly to cut things up to save a few grams, but I just can't help myself
    Last edited by Aramis; 11-30-2006 at 19:44.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - just sew it onto itself w/o the D-ring. If I'm picturing it right, w/o the D-ring you could still use a machine to sew 2-3 times across the webbing.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Speaking of bartacks and box stitches - Which would be better for attaching the strap ends for my gearskin knockoff? I'm pretty sure Moonbow uses box stitches (Sarge could verify this for me), but I used bartacks on my slapstraps because it seemed stronger. I'll be happy to answer any design/structural questions about the thing if it'll help at all.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    From what I understand of the forces involved (3 years of engineering, so don't quote me ), box stitching would be best if attached to a panel, whereas bartacking is better when attached to a reinforced edge or seam.

Bartacking onto a panel concentrates the stresses at the end of each bartack. If the bartack is on something that's designed to take loads, like an edge or seam, then it's ok, but if it's just in the middle of a panel it will eventually tear out at the stress concentration points unless you put reinforcing material behind it.

Of course, ideally the box stitching should be modelled with a finite element analysis program and then be stitched on in some wacky hyperbolic or elliptical transform shape

How about handsewing webbing in a loop? I wanted to put a D ring on a piece of webbing that's sewn right into the seams of the item, since I don't want to do major surgery on the nylon material by removing it. It wouldn't be taking any major loads.
    Aramis,
    If it doesn't need to withstand a lot of stress, try grosgrain ribbon. It is very light, and seems to take stress very well. It would also be much easier to sew than webbing.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 12-01-2006 at 10:52.

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

Hey!
    The quote has it's own scroll bar. That's new.

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fixed. You had "code" tags instead of "quote" tags.

• + New Posts