Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    im 6-3 and all ready ditched the traveler. went 11 ft. like others said try 12'
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

I guess the Brazilian one by Knotty looks the most comfortable and simple, isn't 30 degree supposed to be better for body posture/comfort though Knotty?

Is there any possible way to hang this in my bedroom without drilling holes in the wall, and without buying an expensive hammock stand? or is there a way to use very tiny holes you can't see and it still work?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    30 degree hang angle is typical for camping hammocks but way too shallow for a Brazilian. Hung it at about 30 my first night in it and was not comfortable.

Mine is hung at about 45 from the room's ceiling joists. The padeyes haven't damaged the sheetrock and the two screw holes per padeye could easily be filled with patch spackle if needed.

You're going to find it absolutely necessary to have a fairly thick pillow under your knees when sleeping on your back. For side sleeping (which I do a lot of) the pillow gets moved between the knees. The whole hammock thing takes some getting used to and shifting positions isn't as easy as in a bed but your back will thank you for it.

You're going to need some insulation under you, even indoors. Here's how I did it.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...7&postcount=31
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    You're going to find it absolutely necessary to have a fairly thick pillow under your knees when sleeping on your back.

"Absolutely"...not sure that's accurate. Of the four people I know personally that sleep in Brazilians at home, only one (Genuine Draft) puts something below their knees as a break. One of them is 6'4", so I'm not that sure it's going to change with height, just preferences.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Interesting Cannibal. I can get by at times w/o the pillow in other hammocks but not in the big B, so I assumed it was standard operating procedure. I stand corrected. It's always good to learn something new. Thanks.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yeah, make yourself something 11 or 12 feet long if it's just for indoors. 65"+ width would be ideal, then hang it with plenty of sag and it will be more than roomy enough for you.

i've had satisfied users up to 6'8" using my Blackbird, which is 10' long. the traveler's are the same size but without the netting, and would probably work for you as well.
    I am that satisfied user!!!! I am 6'8" and about 250lb and I love my Blackbird. Works for me.

Jon
    Today is a bad day to be unprepared...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Interesting Cannibal.
    What I think is weird is it's only the short person (relative to the others) that uses the pillow and it seems logical that it would be the other way around.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Maybe it's best to mention that he uses one so if the noob decides HE needs one, he won't feel all a skeered to use one.

One could argue that, if he's going to use a pillow anyways, just cover the floor in different layers of pillows till you make a desired sleeping condition.

I'm not sure if such a thing would make you less or more cool then the rest of us.

Have to ponder on that a bit.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Do you get a flatter lay in the brazilians? as opposed to the traveler?
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think the flattness is about the same, but the Brazilians are more comfortable long term IMO. The thick cotton is nice against the skin and much better insulator than ripstop nylon.

Brandon and I just had a discussion about this a few weeks ago when he was visiting. I claimed the Brazilians provided a more flat position for the sleeper, he said I was mistaken (not what he said, but this is a family friendly forum ). So, down to the hammock cave we went to see for sure. He was right and I was wrong. The flatness is nearly identical. I can't explain the increased comfort beyond the material, but I suspect it has to do with the length of the typical Brazilians. They are also a bit wider, although I've noticed my positioning in the hammock evolving over time. I still lay diagonally in them, but not nearly as hard as I used to. I don't remember ever changing it, but I have noticed in the last couple of months that I'm sleeping closer to the centerline while still maintaining a very comfortable position on my back. No clue why, but it leads me to believe that all that width is only secondary, at best, to the overall comfort.

Again, I'm talking long term sleeping. The Traveler is just as comfortable for a few nights on a trail and about a 1/18th of the weight. Brazilians also don't pack all that small.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast