Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I think the flattness is about the same, but the Brazilians are more comfortable long term IMO. The thick cotton is nice against the skin and much better insulator than ripstop nylon.

Brandon and I just had a discussion about this a few weeks ago when he was visiting. I claimed the Brazilians provided a more flat position for the sleeper, he said I was mistaken (not what he said, but this is a family friendly forum ). So, down to the hammock cave we went to see for sure. He was right and I was wrong. The flatness is nearly identical. I can't explain the increased comfort beyond the material, but I suspect it has to do with the length of the typical Brazilians. They are also a bit wider, although I've noticed my positioning in the hammock evolving over time. I still lay diagonally in them, but not nearly as hard as I used to. I don't remember ever changing it, but I have noticed in the last couple of months that I'm sleeping closer to the centerline while still maintaining a very comfortable position on my back. No clue why, but it leads me to believe that all that width is only secondary, at best, to the overall comfort.

Again, I'm talking long term sleeping. The Traveler is just as comfortable for a few nights on a trail and about a 1/18th of the weight. Brazilians also don't pack all that small.
    Yeah. I recently did some of my own experiments and it flatness plateaus at 0.83 sag (I guess Brandon already knew this ;-)). One thing a higher level of sag does accomplish is that it makes it harder to lay straight--somewhat forcing you onto the diagonal. When a tall occupant comes into the picture, width of the hammock seems to be important than length beyond 10' or so, so that laying on the diagonal your feet/head don't poke out. The footbox of the blackbird is another way to solve the problem requiring less extra material.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Thanks cannibal... That is my concern, I have been full time in my traveler, but if I can get even more comfortable... Why not?
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is probably a stupid question, but can you machine wash these cotton hammocks? If not how do you clean them? I just got a stand today and have set it up in my bedroom. (I'm getting rid of my bed.) I was just going to use the hammocks I have ordered, but if these are more comfortable I'm will to pay $70.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, I wash mine often. Genuine Draft starts spraying it with Febreeze if I don't and I can't stand that smell right next to my face. Our Brazilians just get tossed into our front-loader washer on the hand wash setting with cold water. It's just cotton, so you can use whatever detergent you want to use. We usually toss in a bit of OxyClean just for good measure. The trick is drying them. Doesn't matter if they're air dried on a line outside in the sun, or the shade. Or, if they are dried on the no heat setting of the dryer (takes FOREVER BTW). Any method we've tried shrinks the hammocks. The first time I rehung them after a washing, I swear my eyes were watering-up thinking I had ruined a few hundred dollars worth of hammocks. I'm talking footage of shrinkage! However, after a night sleeping in them, they stretched back out to their previous length and sagged normally again. Once stretched back out, they hold the shape. Whew!

The stand is probably going to be an issue. It isn't easy to find a commerically made stand that will hold these hammocks without some modifications. They are long, think 14'+.That requires fairly tall stand supports to be able to get the sag right on one of the big rigs. Everybody I know, except my mother, has simply connected their hammocks to ceiling studs. Mom made me go build her a stand. The things we do for moms.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Another thought on washing

Is to go buy some wireties/zipties (whatever they call them where you live) and use them to tie-up several strands of the suspension lines together, then bundle them all into one large bundle on each end before washing. This will save you much time on the backside because you won't be sitting on the couch untangling your hammock when you're done, just the thirty seconds it takes to cut the ties.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Unfortunately, I'm in a place where I will have to use a stand. I'm only 5'6". Is there a smaller hammock that you would recommend that is comfortable? I got a Vario hammock stand and there are extensions available for it. I'm not sure what length those would give me though. I checked the extension kit would get me to 15'.
    Last edited by whayneneal; 01-06-2011 at 16:35.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The height matters more than the length on these big hammocks because you need a lot of sag to make them work correctly. I know some folks have gone to a muffler shop and had them bend the stand's pipes to make them more vertical. That would probably be less expensive than the extensions, dunno.

My experience with commercial stands is pretty limited. I find them too expensive for what they are and attaching my hammocks to the house's structure has never been an issue for me. I'm sure someone with more stand knowledge will chime in soon.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    These things are huge! I got a really good deal on this stand. Ebay.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    To elaborate on Cannibal's comments. I agree that the heavy weight cotton material is a big contributer to the comfort factor of a Brazilian. Even with an under quilt, nylon feels cold for a moment when you reposition yourself but you don't feel it as much or the same way with cotton. I had hoped that an UQ wouldn't even be needed but that wasn't the case. Hammocks let you feel the cool air whether cotton or synthetic.

Another plus is the cotton material is it's so heavyweight that you don't hesitate to put your weight on an elbow or palm when shifting positions. No fear of tearing the hammock. You just feel very secure.

Also, when you move around, cotton doesn't make as much noise as nylon. Less "swoosh".

One of the biggest advantages for me was that I could hang from ceiling joists instead of wall studs. Of course you can hang a camping hammock from ceiling joists too but it requires about 22' of spread with standard 8' ceilings. My room couldn't accommodate that. With the Brazilian I think I've got 14 or 15'.

PS - Can't imagine how you could use a stand with the Brazilian I use.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123