gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Syb, how has it been going, any news here?

It would be so good if a group-buy would work out -- for that price per yard it would even be interesting for me to get the fabric sent over the pond.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images

Magna Fabric Update

I visited their shop this week and was met with more fabric than I think I've ever seen in my life - a huge warehouse with floor to ceiling racks of fabrics.

The owner said he didn't sell to individuals but I informed him of our group here and he raised a slight eyebrow. He mentioned that he contracts a lot for military applications and I was able to see a heavy coated ripstop with camo on one side and a military tan on the other. The tan was some sort of DWR material but don't know much about that sort of thing so I can't tell you more than that. I asked about 1.0, 1.1, 1.7 and 1.9 ripstop and he said if enough yardage was needed he could get it and at a very reasonable price. The part about "enough yardage" means hundreds if not over 1,000 yards of the stuff. I'm not a cottage shop (nor do I want to be) so I have no idea if those guys and girls use/order that much.

This is the part where we shouldn't get our hopes up. First, the shop is moving it's operation to North Carolina soon, possibly by the end of the month. This could result in delays in communication with the owner. ***
    Second, in speaking with a few cottage guys here and from the posts in this thread, the owner seems very disinterested in working with anyone except the big business he already has. Third, he was very quick to rush me out of his shop. I understand people are busy but I was actually trying to create more business for him. Perhaps he doesn't think we're worth it. Lastly, the prices from the website are very attractive but that's only if yardage reaches four digits. I'm not sure what the break even point would be with that much yardage and shipping etc.

I'm following up with him this week and I'll update here after I speak with him. Again, please don't get your hopes up as some of the cottage shops here have tried to work with this company in the past and nothing has come of it - *** communication from the company has been spotty (at best) and they've acted like they couldn't be bothered by us 'little guys'.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    they've acted like they couldn't be bothered by us 'little guys'.
    I have run into the same thing in my nursery business. Years ago when I was starting out I tried to order from a major wholesaler in Florida who would not give me the time of day until my business got featured in a trade magazine. In the mean time I found some other sources that had better prices and service that I still buy from today.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Thanks alot for your report! Too bad that doesn't sound very promising at all.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hey Syb, did he say where in NC they are moving? I'm in the Burlington NC area, which was once the textiles capital of the US. Wonder if they are moving to town.

Also, wondering if they'll have a moving sale before they move. That stuff can't be cheap to relocate. Not sure what to do if they ARE having a moving sale though, if they won't sell to individuals. Maybe one of the cottage shops would want to step up and buy a boat load to resell, if the price is right.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Magna Fabrics ...

Hangerz

I just Googled ''Magna Fabrics'' and it appears they are still in NJ as of 2/21/11.

Let me share ... I've been searching for quality fabrics for a couple years and my finding is ... Most fabric dealers act like they wish you hadn't contacted them. And I'm asking for a one yard sample with at least a 100 yard 1st order if we like it.

Quest Outfitters is the LONE mail-order exception. SUPER Customer Service there !

I live close to Sailrite and am given 1st class service there face to face.

Also along the Fabric issue. I am in contact with the "Spinntex UL" mill and they won't do a run for less than HUGE, HUGE amounts.
    The mill has ONE "major" customer and won't do a run until they need more. Who knows when that will be was the word I received.

dp
    www.dphammockgear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by d-p View Post
    Let me share ... I've been searching for quality fabrics for a couple years and my finding is ... Most fabric dealers act like they wish you hadn't contacted them. And I'm asking for a one yard sample with at least a 100 yard 1st order if we like it.[/url]
    I know that frustration first hand. But to put something in perspective, with 20-25 yards on a normal retail bolt that's only 4-5 bolts. For manufacturer that is hardly worth setting up the looms. For the wholesaler, they probably don't have it in stock. When flamingo and I were doing children's clothes cottage industry we dealt with the fabric wholesalers in person. A wide variety of fabrics but only a few bolts of each one. The retail stores can not order fabric by pattern or number. They get what they get. Simple as that.

The fabric industry is a really strange bird. That's the way it was 25 years ago. My guess is it has only gotten worse.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by d-p View Post
    Hangerz

Quest Outfitters is the LONE mail-order exception. SUPER Customer Service there !

dp
    www.dphammockgear.com
    Except for the also good service at:
    http://www.owfinc.com/,
    http://www.rockywoods.com/,
    http://thru-hiker.com/materials/index.php and many more...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Funny this got a bump today. I was just thinking about them and the fact that I have yet to hear from anyone at Magna. This, after stopping by and getting some sample materials and then asking about a large purchase from all of us here on HF. I have to head up to the northern part of NJ this week and I can again stop by if they're still operating in NJ as d-p mentioned. As most everyone else has mentioned, they have very poor customer service for the little guy. We'll see...
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    Funny this got a bump today. I was just thinking about them and the fact that I have yet to hear from anyone at Magna. This, after stopping by and getting some sample materials and then asking about a large purchase from all of us here on HF. I have to head up to the northern part of NJ this week and I can again stop by if they're still operating in NJ as d-p mentioned. As most everyone else has mentioned, they have very poor customer service for the little guy. We'll see...
    If "all you want" is a few hundred yards... ask them about the mill ends. You are much more likely to a deal on that amount of fabric is you can use the mill ends. Otherwise they have to sell it pennies on a dollar to the surplus market.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast