WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR

Material for wood stove heated shelter?

I've had it in mind for some time to build a shelter that would be heated by a Titanium Goat wood stove.

I don't want to end up coated in burning nylon... I don't want to carry canvas.

I know some of you have built such shelters (I think smokehouse used sil, and I think I recall Turk making something before it got shredded by wind)
    What do you guys think the best materials would be to consider. I have a bunch of sil, but nylon just doesn't seem like a good fit for use with heat.

What say you?
    ~Bryan

I think the only safe way would be to have a stovepipe hole put in your tarp.. I know there are a couple vids on youtube of a shelter like this that's ripstop. You really don't want errant smoke filling your shelter and a small fire will burn less efficiently (unless your talking about a gasifier) but if it's just a titanium box that essentially you burn wood in, then it probably wont be hot enough to burn up that smoke. Hope that made sense.. been at work now for 15 hours...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    There is a fire retardant nylon available. But it is not fireproof. So it will burn. Seattle Fabrics has a 200 denier. At 200d it will weigh a bit more than your standard hiking tarp
    4 oz. a yard (I dont know if that weight includes the 1-1/2 oz. of fire retardant. So potentially the fabric could weigh 5-1/2 or 6 oz. per yard.)

Canvas has been used for hundreds of years as a hot-tent material. And is the most durable and reasonably inexpensive choice...not the lightest tho.

With either fabric, a fiberglass "jack" needs to be used. It's a panel of fiberglass that allows for a fire resistant area for the stove pipe to pass thru.
    Google "hot tent".
    Give this forum a look-see "wintertrekking.com". Good info on hot tents.

I don't know of a lightweight solution. Maybe NASA has something.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I'm familiar with the stove jack that would be necessary and all. Just wondering about the fabric. I would be seriously put out if I designed and built the taj mahal of tarp tents only to have it melt.

I would hope the fire retardant material weight would include the fire retardant, it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. I might look into "Egyptian cotton", it a 3-4 oz fabric that really isn't cotton by my understanding. It's woven tightly enough that it resists wind and rain. We'll see.

I would love to just use the 1.1 oz sil that I already have. If no one speaks up with a warning against sil, I'll probably go that way, at least for a prototype

EDIT: Nevermind about the Egyptian cotton. It's not all I thought it might be.
    Last edited by miisterwright; 01-05-2011 at 10:44.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Thanks for the resources gargoyle. I think I've stumbled across wintertrekking before.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    A few years ago I did a little research on Fire resistance fabric and was thinking about only putting the fabric around the stove area and 1.1 syl everywhere else. Gargoyle gave some good info. If ur using it for car camping, than weight won’t be a problem.

I have my small TI stove that’s about 12” from the syl walls. After I fire the stove up and get some coals glowing, I fill it full of larger dia wood and close the damper, so it burns slow and not so hot making it about 20 to 30F warmer inside. I have not had any pin holes using a 7’ pipe and having the spark arrestor just above the damper.
    I found that 1.1 syl burns with a flame, if it’s a spark, then it melts with my testing.

I have seen where people are also worried about smoke in the shelter. The pipe vents the smoke very well and I have never experenced any smoke in my shelter, plus the shelter is vented where the hammock lines go through.
    Hope it works out for you…
    I'm taking mine out this weekend. pack, food, water, stove, everthing,,,, I'm at 32lbs... I'm ready

I have a confession. I have a tent and i have used it.

More specific, it's a tarp tent moment. It is made of silnylon and is NOT fire retardant. That said i still cook in it. The one and only time i have knocked over my alcy stove was inside that tent. This resulted in in spilling flaming alcohol all over the silnylon
    The result was a quick flare up of the alcohol and nothing happen to the silnylon.

I have since discontinued using an alcohol stove in side that tent, and use a iso butane job for ease of truing on\off the flame.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Smokehouse, I was thinking I remembered you losing all your gearin a house fire. It's good to hear you are back at it.

I had the same idea of using a fire retardant material near the stove and 1.1 else where. It good to hear that it already been done and tested.

I don't have my stove just yet so I'll be in the idea stage for a while longer.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miisterwright View Post
    Smokehouse, I was thinking I remembered you losing all your gearin a house fire. It's good to hear you are back at it.

I had the same idea of using a fire retardant material near the stove and 1.1 else where. It good to hear that it already been done and tested.

I don't have my stove just yet so I'll be in the idea stage for a while longer.
    mw, I didn't use fire retardant fabric,,, only thought about it. my shelter is 100% 1.1 sil except for the stove jack. as long as u control the heat and not let it get to wild should be fine... and make sure u put enough tieout close to stove area so the wind won't blow the fabric against the stove.

Yes,,, house fire got most of my stuff, I was able to recover my smokehouse which was in the bottom of a plastic tub. everthing above it was destroyed. slowly but surely replacing what I can... Thanks for asking.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    These guys seem to not mind a stove in the tent or tarp. They never come right out and say its sil, but it is nylon. https://kifaru.net/TIPI2009.html
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts