Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

Setting up the HH, advice wanted

I have a HH Asym Expedition (just got it off of Ebay), I have a Termarest pad that is 20x72x1.5, I have an REI silk bag liner that is 82x30. Now the hard part. I have an LL Bean rectangular bag. It is 34x75x2.5, it is Synthetic filled (Polarguard) with a Nylon shell and a Poly/Cotton liner. I have NO idea what the bag rating is. (One helpful soul said sleep in it outside til you get cold, that how you tell what the rating is) Not a real good option for me (it just hasn't been that cold here lately.) If I had to guess I would say it is a 30 degree bag but that is a pure guess.

I set up my hammock in the back yard. I first tried to put the bag around the hammock and zip it up. I was able to do this but it only covered the top 2/3 of the hammock plus it was hard to get in the hammock. Once I got in it was toasty but the bottom 1/3 was a tad drafty. I put the pad in the hammock with the bag and bag liner and climbed in. It was very toasty, borderline hot, I was wearing Jeans, cotton hoodie sweatshirt and socks. We had a slight breeze going, the tarp was flapping a bit (stock tarp)

My questions. Given these parts, what is the best way to maximize what I have? I am doing a Backpacking trip this April going from Ashby Gap VA on the AT north to Harper's Ferry, am I going be ill-equipped for this trip with this as a sleep system? (I am going with some anti-hammockers [well ignorant to hammocking] so I want to really show em! ) Although I am probably going to pick up some snake skins for the hammock, till then what is the best way to store the hammock, rolled or stuffed? What is the best way rig up the stock tarp in cold and windy conditions? Has anyone used those water funnell thingys that HH came up with? If so godsend or gimmick? Thanks for any advice or direction you can provide.
    Last edited by Ashman; 12-24-2007 at 06:37.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I was wearing Jeans, cotton hoodie sweatshirt and socks

do away witht he cotton stuff well help a bunch

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I know cotton is death fabric. I wouldn't wear it on a real trip (or an overnight for that matter) but wanted to give as much details as possible. Thanks for the point out though! Keep em coming!

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Another Question. What is the function and purpose of the side tie outs on the HH? The ones attacked to a more elastice type cord. Seems like another set of lines to trip over. What is the best way to use them, best angle to tie them out? Should they be ignored?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Another Question. What is the function and purpose of the side tie outs on the HH? The ones attacked to a more elastice type cord. Seems like another set of lines to trip over. What is the best way to use them, best angle to tie them out? Should they be ignored?
    They are used to help keep an underquilt such as a JRB Nest or weathershield in place. Also used to help widen out the hammock. I dont notice it adding much in that department. The laying on the diagonal will take care of that IMO.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 12-24-2007 at 08:47.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They just hold the hammock open and make it feel more roomy. They don't really change how it lays when it's weighted. They're nice to have but can easiliy be ignored if you want to.

When I use them, I like to tie them to a tree or big bush so I can make the lines nearly horizontal...easier to pull the hammock open that way.

Angle - whatever opens the hammock up best. Like I said, it doesn't really change how it lays.

They're elastic so you still get some swing. Otherwise, you'd pull the stakes out when you move.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts