Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS

Thread Injector question

I didn't want to hijack the thread about posting pics, so I'm making a new one...

In this post:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...4&postcount=49
    there are some videos. Not the first video, but the others all seem to be the same machine. Anyone know what it is? I like that style of feeding mechanism. It looks like it's a combination of bottom and top and needle feeds?

Anyway, I'm curious what makes and models are like that. I tried looking around, but I'm not an expert on these machines. I'm hoping the experts here could give me a list of makes and model numbers to be on the lookout for.

I was in my local shop a couple weeks ago, and the owner said he could get me brand new Juki industrial (not sure the model #) in the table for ~$900. That sounded like a good deal, but I don't have that kind of cash atm. Reading the show us your TI thread made me think I might be able to find a deal if I'm patient. I just need to know what to look for.

Gimme a list of some machines I should watch for. Thanks in advance
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It's a Pfaff. That style is called "walking foot". Normal machines use the "dogs" under the fabric and the foot slides over the material.
    There's a few folks here who have Pfaff's and they love 'em.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    probably overkill, unless you are planning on going into business ala OES or Warbonnet..
    for personal gear, any decent machine with a straight stitch, perhaps a zigzag stitch and -definitely- metal gears (plastic gears should be avoided unless the deal is killer, as you will pay more in upkeep). the ablility to go backwards and to sew multiple layers of leather/vinyl should be considered luxury options, unless you plan on building bombproof packs and tents.
    Just my .02 lira; KM (who sews for self and family only..)

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    My inexpensive Brother uses feed dogs.

So is this Pfaff not using feed dogs under as well as all the stuff moving on top?

I'm sure not all Pfaffs do this. Any models to look for? I'll go check their site and see what I can find out.

Reading the pic thread has provided a few models to look for. Singer 211, Consew 206, etc

I'm looking for make and models that have compound feed to keep an eye out for. Searching for the model in that thread though are making that Juki seem like a bargain! It isn't compound feed though.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are planning on doing _A LOT_ of sil work the walking foot might be worth the investment. They help prevent the layers from slipping because both top and bottom both move at the same time (in theory). For the occasional tarp I would not think it would be a worthwhile investment if you had to pay extra for it. For commercial use a walking foot would most certainly be an asset.

A personal note about plastic gears... If the machine dates from 1960 - 1980 avoid the plastic gears if at all possible. Pfaff did a real sneaky and made an internal gear out of plastic during that time. It is a crucial gear and if it goes bad you are the proud owner of an over-sized paperweight. Plus the only shops that can get factory parts from Pfaff are authorized dealers. So many independent shops don't work on them.

If the machine dates from 2000 - the plastic used in the gears evolved and improved. They are not as bad as the earlier gears. I am not sure you could find anything currently in prodection but high end industrial machines with metal gears any more. However I don't know that for sure.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    I can't give you particular models at this point as I am deffinitely no expert in this field as of yet. I can tell you that your patience may payoff when looking for a particular brand/model. I happened to come across a Singer 758 on craigslist 2 days ago and got to pick it up for $20. It does straight/zig-zag/other patterns and has all metal gears (atleast from what I can see inside the machine without completely taking it apart) before picking this up I had been cruising CL and eBay for months waiting for something under $50 as I didn't want to invest in something I couldn't do (make gear), so my $20 investment was perfect for me.
    Trailname - Knox
    LT10

My Weight Sheet

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Sounds like a sweet deal Otis!

I'm not in a hurry. I'm also not expecting to get what I want for $20. Heck not even $100.

Maybe I should list what I want and let folks suggest models...
    I want something that feeds on both sides. I think a compound feed is the common term for it. Like that Pfaff in the video looks good to me.
    I only need straight stitching, but a zig zag wouldn't be unwelcome
    Reverse is important to lock the stitches.
    I like the idea of a machine that require less/no oiling.

To address folks concerns about whether I need something like this...
    I do have plans that involve making lots of gear with slippery fabrics. I've already got several requests, from people I know and people they know, to make them gear. I'm also the type that believes buying cheap is a false economy. I don't always get "top of the line" stuff, but I rarely get bottom end stuff.

My current machine is pretty inexpensive, but not bad quality. It appears to have metal innards, but it's still a lightweight portable type machine. What I want is something that is mounted into a nice table. The main performance improvement I'm looking for it a smoother engagement of the motor. My little machine is a little jumpy. I played with the Juki at my local shop, and the best way I can describe it is, "smooth". As I read a little more about what sorts of features are out there, I might as well get what I want and be done with it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This community is awesome.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikelite View Post
    To address folks concerns about whether I need something like this...
    I do have plans that involve making lots of gear with slippery fabrics. I've already got several requests, from people I know and people they know, to make them gear. I'm also the type that believes buying cheap is a false economy. I don't always get "top of the line" stuff, but I rarely get bottom end stuff.
    I would suggest you contact some of our fine cottage industry folks and ask what they use or would like. A lot of us are just making our own stuff.. so the home machines work just fine for us. The cottage industry folks would have a much better handle on what is needed for production.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I would suggest you contact some of our fine cottage industry folks and ask what they use or would like. A lot of us are just making our own stuff.. so the home machines work just fine for us. The cottage industry folks would have a much better handle on what is needed for production.
    Aren't most of them here? hehe

Good idea though. I wonder if they would be wary of helping "competition"?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikelite View Post
    Aren't most of them here? hehe
    hehe.. they are members most certainly. But often they find themselves hunkered down in the workroom rather than on line.

As far as help the competition... most of the ones I have talked to or met in person do not strike me as that type of person. Unless of course you are planning to rip off their own hard development work as your own. I assume that is not what you would have in mind. The cottage industry folks seem fairly open and approachable. Unlike some of the big players in the industry.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts