Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Do you think those 'Tiny Home Movement' people will ever realize that they've invented, the mobile home? I drive past a couple smaller mobile homes then that woman is bragging about. They just didn't stick em in someone else's backyard. Ah well, what the hey.

I too have experienced, limited, your Cat problem as I have 4 dogs and 2 of the non dogs with the wife and I. It usually is a constant juggling act. Go to sleep with a couple dogs and wake up with a change in dogs and a cat or two. The cats could definitely and HAVE used the hammock and me already. They're no big deal and present no big difference then they do on the bed. The Dogs are a little different. My oldest two, beagles, just look at me funny and then go over to the deflated air bed, curling up on the covers. My Yorkie doesn't understand I'm still in the room but when I pick her up and snuggle her in it's fine. Juice ways 40-50 pounds, that's a whole lotta swing.

As far as guests, I've got to figure they'd feel just as comfortable in a hammock that reacts individually to them, then a safety net suspended over a drop. I've no qualms sitting in a hammock. For some reason every time I walk on a cargo net, my feet cramp. Just can't tell them to act naturally, they think they have to grip the net through my shoes. It's weird that I've actually had experience on such things. In Branson, MO they have a wonderful place called Silver Dollar City. It's cool, crafty, hill billy, fun. One of their childrens section is Tom Sawyer land (or was, my children are long grown) and they had a whole treehouse section with cargo and smaller netting on it. I watched parents and children just running around on the stuff. My feet somehow always managed to find their way between the gaps. Got the hang of it, but eash.

I'd much rather have a hammock. My wife would request a nearby hotel.

If you decide to go the Macreme way, my sister made herself a hammock back in high school art class (mid 70's). It was not an overly complicated task that I'm sure you would be able to complete. There's books in the library and probably sites on the internet devoted to Macreme projects.

Can't wait to see pictures of what you come up with.

ps. Wasn't Ted Kaczynski the founding father of the TinyHouse idea? What a leader for a movement.
    From Somewhere near Parkville, Mo
    William Crane
    aka MrClean
    Everything you need to know about Hammocks in vids and reading:
    Hammock in 3 minutes D. Hansen - It really is this easy to make a hammock
    Shug's Hammock Newbies videos - Takes you buy the hand and shows you in video
    The Ultimate Hang D. Hansen - now read about everything
    JustJeff's Hammock tutorial - more reference
    TableclothFactoryBlanks - shorter lengths available on sidebar
    The TurtleDog Stand thread - Hang anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but those beds that you linked to are pretty cool.

As far as rope, one suggestion would be Amsteel. Here's one link that speaks to some of the properties of Amsteel. Lots of folks here use the 7/64 diameter, which is an 8 strand construction. There are also some resident engineers here that might be able to help you with the type of attachments that would be necessary.

Good luck!
    I just looked at the rope specs and they look great. It looks like they come with a clip on the end as well, which would be helpful. Thank you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ecolite View Post
    Also, while I might enjoy hammock sleeping, guests who might stay over may not.
    This was a concern for us too. The only thing resembling a bed in our house is an old futon and we keep that exclusively for the dog; she's 70lbs of bulldog and not a good hammock sleeper.

However, not a single guest (out of about 8) have chosen the couch over a hammock yet! In fact, at least one of them now sleeps in a hammock at his place. A different guest wanted to buy the Mayan from me that he slept in. Probably the only hammock of mine I've sold in a very long time.

There may be some hesitation from your guests, but that can be solved by a 5 minute 'lesson' in hanging. After that, just leave them alone and let them figure it out. Even the most pessimistic person still has a curiosity streak. Sometimes you just have to let them think nobody will know it if they try it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I used to work off-shore on commercial fishing boats..sexing a net is really pretty simple knots..or you might be able to find an old net around docks ..if you're near one...or perhaps an cast net..mine packs down and if it wasn't weighted (lead sinker weights) I would think it'd be pretty darn light...we used to crash out "in the nets" all the time...yeah they stunk...but kinda' like hiking..after a few days..it all smells the same..

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Do you think those 'Tiny Home Movement' people will ever realize that they've invented, the mobile home? I drive past a couple smaller mobile homes then that woman is bragging about. They just didn't stick em in someone else's backyard. Ah well, what the hey.

Ah, yes. I've been following this movement for a couple of years. I've always lived in small spaces, so it's not a big change for me. Having my own 4 walls instead of an apartment would be awesome, however. I agree with you in that the tiny houses are really just a small, well-built mobile home. They are really not as portable as an RV, but more portable than most mobile homes and insulated much better than older mobile homes (newer ones and some park models are doing a much better job in this respect.) Personally, I would rather have a solid foundation and am looking at a small piece of land with a really old mobile home on it that I plan to replace with an energy friendly, well-insulated "small" house -more akin to apartment size than rv size. I think the movement is just a means of trying to lift the public's eye of looking down on those who live in smaller homes -bringing it to a place of prestige clouting the importance of the value of living within one's means and conserving energy -making it "okay" to not have to have a 1000+ square foot home. Nothing wrong with that!

<As far as guests, I've got to figure they'd feel just as comfortable in a hammock that reacts individually to them, then a safety net suspended over a drop.>

This is true, I think the innate fear of heights would always come into play. I would throw a down-comforter or pad over the netting and use it more as a bed than something to walk over. In that way, you wouldn't really experience the height unless you peaked. Also, I would make the opening an 8' diameter circle that would be comparable to the hanging bed picture I showed. Finally, I would create a little lip around the opening around 2' high so one isn't tempted to walk over the area -sitting or laying as on a bed would be the appropriate way to use it. (I guess I could always do the netting and hang a hammock over it as well, so I would have the option for either and have the safety of the net while allowing good air circulation in the loft.)

<If you decide to go the Macreme way, my sister made herself a hammock back in high school art class (mid 70's). It was not an overly complicated task that I'm sure you would be able to complete. There's books in the library and probably sites on the internet devoted to Macreme projects.>

Yes, I used to macrame plant holders all the time, it would just be a little scarier to create something that would need to support a person or 2 more than a couple feet off the ground!

<ps. Wasn't Ted Kaczynski the founding father of the TinyHouse idea? What a leader for a movement.
    >

No clue!

guests and hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    This was a concern for us too. The only thing resembling a bed in our house is an old futon and we keep that exclusively for the dog; she's 70lbs of bulldog and not a good hammock sleeper.

However, not a single guest (out of about 8) have chosen the couch over a hammock yet! In fact, at least one of them now sleeps in a hammock at his place. A different guest wanted to buy the Mayan from me that he slept in. Probably the only hammock of mine I've sold in a very long time.

There may be some hesitation from your guests, but that can be solved by a 5 minute 'lesson' in hanging. After that, just leave them alone and let them figure it out. Even the most pessimistic person still has a curiosity streak. Sometimes you just have to let them think nobody will know it if they try it.
    ***Good to know! Perhaps they would want to stay, just to try the hammock out for the night! I'll have to make a point of putting hanging hardware in several places and have a few hammocks on hand! They are definitely easier to keep around than extra beds!

"Sexing a net"

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    I used to work off-shore on commercial fishing boats..sexing a net is really pretty simple knots..or you might be able to find an old net around docks ..if you're near one...or perhaps an cast net..mine packs down and if it wasn't weighted (lead sinker weights) I would think it'd be pretty darn light...we used to crash out "in the nets" all the time...yeah they stunk...but kinda' like hiking..after a few days..it all smells the same..
    So, "sexing a net" is the phrase to use for this process. Thank you for sharing! I'm handy enough with my fingers and have done macrame in the past, so I think the net could easily be a cold-weather project. I'll need a carpenter inclined person to help oversee the hanging setup, however.

ps. The fish smell would draw the neighbors cats in as well, so I think I'll stick with the new!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ecolite View Post
    >

No clue!
    Sorry, I get wordy.
    From Somewhere near Parkville, Mo
    William Crane
    aka MrClean
    Everything you need to know about Hammocks in vids and reading:
    Hammock in 3 minutes D. Hansen - It really is this easy to make a hammock
    Shug's Hammock Newbies videos - Takes you buy the hand and shows you in video
    The Ultimate Hang D. Hansen - now read about everything
    JustJeff's Hammock tutorial - more reference
    TableclothFactoryBlanks - shorter lengths available on sidebar
    The TurtleDog Stand thread - Hang anywhere.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    As a kid, somebody was selling old tuna nets for $20 a bundle outside the local dump. people were using them to tie-down stuff in their trucks.

My brothers and I made a 3-level tree house by strategically cutting and tying the nets in a large tree in the backyard.

Napped in there one night with sleeping bags. It was awesome!...

This whole net discussion triggered that happy memory... Thanks!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Don't know if you have seen this before, but maybe give it some consideration as well. http://www.lebeanock.com/

I think you could even DIY one of these. It doesn't appear to be much more than canvas with a beanbag type mattress on top with reinforced corners where the grommets are located.
    Last edited by opie984; 01-07-2011 at 09:56.