Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Innovative hammock concept

Hi,

I've recently seen a couple of designs that have spurred an idea for me, but I need help understanding what kind of materials will be best for the job.

Here are a couple of links to pictures that have inspired an idea of a round, hammock, sleeping loft. The first is of a round hammock type hanging bed, and the second is a hammock loft. I'm interested in creating a round shaped hammock loft in a future cabin. (If not, I could take a stab at a round hanging hammock.)

http://www.floatingbed.com/bigger-view/Deck-Use.html

http://www.thetinylife.com/tiny-house-guest-bedroom/

I think I can manage to find a macrame pattern to create the hammock, but I'm not educated in the type of rope that would hold up to the job or the types of attachments that would attach to the frame. Note: The maker of the round hanging hammock bed has a way of tightening around the perimeter of the circle to get a firm surface.

Also, if I would use material instead of macrame, would something like canvas or hemp hold up well and be sturdy enough?

Does anyone have suggestions for this?

Thank you!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but those beds that you linked to are pretty cool.

As far as rope, one suggestion would be Amsteel. Here's one link that speaks to some of the properties of Amsteel. Lots of folks here use the 7/64 diameter, which is an 8 strand construction. There are also some resident engineers here that might be able to help you with the type of attachments that would be necessary.

Good luck!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Rope suggestion

Thank you for the rope suggestion. I'll check into that!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sure thing! You actually may not need that thick a rope in actuality, since you will have more support all around.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    that second link in the original post is pretty awesome...

Safety net link idea

Hm...Okay...I just came across a possibility following how a safety net for an orchestra is installed. It looks like they are using an aircraft cord (like they use on a yurt), and clip the net to that. Then, I would just need to figure out how to tighten the safety net and make sure the ribbing is strong enough to hold substantial weight over time.

hm....

http://www.incord.com/orchestra-pit/...pit-safety.htm

much cheaper than amsteel and probably a lot more comfy to boot!http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&r...iw=973&bih=778

netting company a plus

Thank you for the netting company idea. It would definitely be a plus as they most likely could custom make the netting from an appropriate material. Also, they would already have the experience of knowing what kind of load it can handle and how to attach the netting for the purpose desired.

I just had another thought. What about lawn chair netting? One could create the circle with the aircraft cable to the correct size and weave the netting around the cable, then secure the cable into position around the frame. I would still have the issue of knowing how much abuse it could handle and to make sure I secured the netting around the aircraft cable properly. It would make a convenient netting that would also be portable, however.

Several minutes later, I found a webpage that gives even more information on catamaran netting and different examples of securing it. If interested look here: http://www.fusioncats.com.au/members/mcg/nets.php

Thank you!

ps. Doesn't it make sense to go this route and do away with heavy mattresses and box springs altogether? Also, while I might enjoy hammock sleeping, guests who might stay over may not. Plus my two cats would use me as a landing and take-off platform all night in a smaller hammock in order to cuddle in when it gets colder.
    Last edited by ecolite; 01-06-2011 at 18:17. Reason: adding information

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ecolite View Post
    Thank you!

ps. Doesn't it make sense to go this route and do away with heavy mattresses and box springs altogether? Also, while I might enjoy hammock sleeping, many people who might stay over may not.
    If things get REAL comfy for guests they tend to stay longer... I say go for the slightly uncomfortable version...

You're quick to be on the mark!

Yes, yes. You have a good point there. With a hammock my mom wouldn't be inclined to stay at all! (But then I would feel obligated to put her up in a hotel.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast