Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    is it possible that the right side is DWR treated and the wrong side isn't? I know M90 has a great DWR as does the intrepid stuff from OWFinc so is there a chance it is just on the non-calendared side?

-Tim

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Hey, Marsh. We've gotten a little sidetracked from the original question(me included). I know you work with this stuff. What's your experience/opinion?

Thanks.

Jbo

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    me likey! I prefer this material to 1.1 rip as it is much softer against the skin(think a flat vs glossy finish, on the right side ) so it doesn't feel as sticky when i sweat and it blocks a lot more wind than standard 1.1rip. i choose it over M90 purely for the fact that i can get it at half the price. I like this and M90 the same and use them interchangeably.

-Tim

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    MPO(my personal opinion) is that right/wrong started when designs were printed on fabrics, being bright on the printed side and dimmer on the other side, naturally one wished the more attractive side to be seen..
    if there is no substantive difference between sides, 'right' and 'wrong' are in-applicable ( i almost said immaterial..)
    whichever side you want folks to see, or pleases you best is therefore the 'right' side to be out.
    hope that helps!
    KM (who has even laid out pieces -across- the grain line [gasp!] if that was a more efficient use of fabric)

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    the 2 sides of m90/interpid90 are not the same and the shiny side is the wrong side as i am pretty sure the dull side is the DWR side

-Tim

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    KM (who has even laid out pieces -across- the grain line [gasp!] if that was a more efficient use of fabric)
    Yikes...and you admitted that in public!

I agree with you. Some fabrics really do have a right and wrong side that will affect performance. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

The smooth vs "fluffy" side for momentum may make a difference, though...increasing the surface area on one side would make for more efficient evaporation. Kinda like a heat exchanger on a stove, or the heat diffusers you see on the back of heavy duty differentials on trucks.

But then the question would be...do you want the increased surface area on the inside to soak up the moisture more quickly and transport it to the surface of the fabric where it can evaporate, or on the outside so that what moisture does make it to the fabric will evaporate more quickly.

Chicken? Egg?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    for me i buy the 20D stuff cause it feels so much nice against the skin, i lose this benefit by placing the shiny side out, might as well use 1.1rip.

-Tim

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    What about this part?

"I'm using some to make a down TQ and I've noticed that where I pin it, the holes don't "heal". When I've used 1.9oz and 1.7oz, after a while where you pin it, the fabric works it's way back together. Doesn't seem to be the case with this stuff. Now I have this nice piece of shell for a down quilt that has pretty good sized pin-holes along each seam."

Jbo

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    in my projects i have not found that to be an issue. perhaps my pins are smaller or sharper or perhaps the holes are kept in the seam vs the body of the project (this may be a lot of it) but i have made a number of down quilts from this stuff with no complaints of leakage. The nice thing is if you are using 800+ down there are very few spines, just clusters which don't worm out little holes very well anyway.

-Tim

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used "non-down-proof" fabric for a few down projects and haven't found it to be a problem. High quality down doesn't have many quills to poke through anyway. I'd expect the same from little pin-holes...might drive you crazy but I doubt it'll noticeably degrade the performance.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast