DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Tafetta 6'x12'
    Insulation
    Light Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

HH Supershelter review

OK, so i purchased the HH supershelter for my DIY HH type hammock.

My hammock is to specs of HH expedition deluxe.

My hh clone differs from original only in that I use a whoopie sling suspension and ridgeline. I also run my fly on a separate ridgeline/snakeskins with sugical tubing tensioners.

First, the supershelter fits well, and although installation does take a significant amount of time the first time, it can remain on hammock after that (except the underpad).

I took the system out in last weeks California storms to try it out.

Pros:
    -The hex fly is HUGE, even having it on a separate ridgeline I had lots of coverage, wind driven rain and snow never even touched the hammock.
    -Undecover fits snugly and easily goes into the snakeskins along with the hammock.
    -overcover, while limited in uses, ads good warmth, weather resistance, and installs easily.
    -Underpad is very light, not very bulky, and is much easier to set up compared to my UQ.

Cons:
    -Lots of extra gear to pack (overcover, underpad, and UQ).

-Underpads warmth value is not good at all. I brought a small underquilt I had made just in case and it proved very necessary. But, I just laid the underquilt on top of the underpad and was toasty even in sub 30 degree snowstorm. ( I use a Big agnes pitchpine sleeping bag so I have no bottom insulation outside of the hammock system.

-Undercover is a pain to pack up after use.

-Underpad is not split for bottom entry, this was easily fixed by just folding it over to the side where my feet rest in the hammock.

Overall impressions:

This system is well worth the cash ($99) I shelled out for it. Even without the top cover I was warm and dry and confident I would stay that way all night. Packing an underquilt may not have been necessary, but a fleece pad or something should definantly be included in all but warm weather. The entire system is light and packs down small (smaller than any synthetic UQ I have seen or made, and smaller than many down ones too).
    I did use the top cover on the worst night, but probably didnt need to as I wound up sleeping in boxers, with a 40 degree rated bag, and was still sweating!

Excellent overall performance, very well made (in China) and well worth the investment.

Images
    Thanks for the test results, Orynge. Good use of that UQ inside the SS!

Sounds like I am able to go a bit warmer than you with the HH pad. Just curious, did you use the recommended space blanket on top of the HH pad?

• + New Posts