Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    I just made a hammock from 1.1 ripstop with dimensions similar to Dave's. I think my fabric was 62" wide to start, but I know the finished hammock is nearly 12' long.

Whipping is definitely the most difficult part of making a hammock. Not that it's hard to do. The difficulty is finding the method that gives a hammock that's right for YOU! I just looked for the thread, but I can't find it I used a roll similar to what HC4U used in his HH clone thread. There is another thread that shows pics of someone taking apart a HH. I found that 5, or was it 6, rolls gave me the lay I wanted. I did not pull the sides too tight either. I didn't sew together the ends of the hammock though. I'm still not sure what the benefit of that is. I think it matters if you're using an attached bug net. I don't like those.

I'll try to describe my whip without pics and using less than 1,000 words.
    I folded the edges to the center. Then I rolled/folded the folded edges towards the center on the bottom of the hammock. Like I said, I think I used 5 rolls (coulda been 6). I did pull the center and edges a little bit, but my edges are a little "floppy". I prefer that though. I don't care for the taco effect and like being able to push the side down to look around.

Like Shug said, just keep re-whipping until you find what you like. I think it took me about 8 tries to get it right, and I'm still considering making some subtle changes. The nice thing is it's easy to do

I don't use the string through the channel gathering method. I just have a rectangle of fabric with the edge hemmed all the way around. My suspension makes it easy to redo the whipping whenever I like, including in the field! I have 3 whoopies. 2 on each end, and one for a structural ridgeline. They meet at 2 aluminum rings. I have small Amsteel loops that are larks headed to the rings and over the whipped end of the hammocks. Does that make sense? I really like this suspension. It sets up quick, and allows me to take everything apart to experiment, except that the ridge whoopie's fixed end has the ring permanently attached, ie I made the fixed loop with the ring inside.

At the time this suspension didn't seem like anything unique, so I don't have pictures or anything. If you want to see it, let me know and I'll try to get some posted.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Hikelite
    Yea I'd like to see some pics, sounds interesting

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by PKT View Post
    Hikelite
    I'll have to take a shot tonight. I just looked on my phone. I have a couple shots, but they looked pretty terrible :P

I tried to find another post that had a pic of what I did, but after poking around a bit, my system might be unique. I'll try to get some good quality pics up tonight. Hopefully I can get home from work before it gets dark.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Don't know if you've seen this or not. It might help.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Nothing new here but thought some might find it useful to see step by step pictures on how to make a gathered end hammock. Use 3-4 yards of material, depending on how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and started with 11'6" of 1.9oz ripstop from Speer.

The whipping method comes from the Warbonnet hammocks and I learned it from others on the forum. I've changed the ridgeline a bit. On a Warbonnet it runs thru the whipped hammock ends. I wanted the ridgeline to be removable so I could play with different lengths. Mine is just a line of 2.2mm Zing-It (or is it Lash-It?) with eye splices at each end thru which the suspension gets run. Suspension is 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

Pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ron.mehr...eat=directlink

Video:
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Hikelite
    I haven't gotten any pics yet. The hammock is built and been stuffed in my pack for a couple weeks. Been super busy getting ready to leave for 5 months!

Anyway, I did find a picture that is close.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...6&d=1295373465

Imagine this, 3 whoopies, except I have 2 rings that tie the whoopies to the hammock. I used 2 short continuous loops to connect the hammock ends to the rings. Then a whoopie at each end and one for the SRL. All made of 7/64 Amsteel.

I'll have the hammock back out again soon, but it might be another week or two. I'll get some good pics of the suspension then.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Hikelite
    I promised pics, but instead I shot a video:

Last edited by hikelite; 03-16-2011 at 19:47.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Web + Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I agree - longer is better & wider is better for a flat lay. There are a few places that sell ripstop in 66" width. If it were me I would start with fabric 66" x 144" hem the edges and gather or whip the ends. You can also play around with your structural ridgeline length for me 108" is the magic number but YMMV.

Good luck and post pictures when you're done.
    There's even 72" ripstop available from that lady on eBay!

On whipping: I use cable ties to whip the ends of my hammocks. I use a 8-10" high quality cable tie, the ones with the little stainless grabbers in them, and wrap it around the end of the hammock TWICE. Just before tightening it all the way up, but while it's snug, i find the corners of the hammock and pull each corner tip out about 3/4 to an inch. This gives the hammock its shape by making the sides slightly shorter. Without that, I don't get the sense of any support on the sides of the hammock, and am not as comfortable.
    DIY Is my thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12