EB Down throw - UQ

Picked up a $39, 550 fill white goose down throw at Eddie Bauer over the Holidays with the intention to make a under quilt. The size is 52" x 60", fleece on one side and diamond pattern nylon filled down on the other. Not a good choice for the weight conscience, but I was looking for something to use at home, backyard or car camp.

I cut some strips of sport nylon and folded and formed channels on all four sides. I thought about just using the hems on the throw, but I wanted the extra strength. Shock cord in the end channels are tied on one end, adjustable on the other. Black accessory cord in the side channels and spliced into a 30" piece of shock cord at the head end only. Using s-biners to attach to hammock.

I like the look of the diamond pattern. Seals up pretty good at the shoulders, may need to work on the foot end a bit or try some triangle thingies with this HH. Haven't tried it on my WBBB or ENO DN yet...

The combination of fleece and down is like being surrounded by a heating pad!...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i like it. very nice job.
    i picked up the $29 650 down throw for Christmas. i'm using it as an addition to my old North Face yeti, 40 degree bag, as a top quilt. mine has very little loft but a lot of warm.
    i wish i had chosen the fleece lined. it's probably more versatile.
    super nice job on converting it to a UQ.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Nice work! I love it. You'll be the envy of the next Texas Hang with that thing.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Images
    Looks toasty! I like the diamonds, too.

I've been waffling between EB's throws on sale. Just went on their site and the down/fleece was gone which made the decision easier. I got the same one as flatline to use as a supplement above or below. Let us know how warm it is when you get the chance to use it outside Very nice.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    That certainly looks nice! I'm betting it's warm too!

After my testing indoors I may need some advise before I take it outside.

Let me preface, where the fleece touches the hammock (feet, legs, back and shoulders) I am very warm. In the center where it hangs the most and the fleece is not touching the hammock I notice a temperature drop. Not CBS, because I am not cold, but it is noticable. I know that if a use a pad outdoors it would not be evident. Last night I tried pulling up on the ends/corners with prusiks on the ridgeline, but this did not help the sag in the middle. I will try a loop over the ridgeline in the middle, but I am wondering if I should just cut it down and make it narrower?

It is 52" x 60". I have seen 2/3 and 3/4 UQ's narrower, but never owning one I don't really know how it differs. I own a WBBB, ENO DN and HH Expedition and would like to be able to use on all three.

Of course my testing was on the HH, the narrowest. I should probably pull out my BB tonight and re-test.
    Last edited by sandpiper; 01-10-2011 at 12:57.

• + New Posts