Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings

Question Very thin cord

Hi,

I have found some very thin cord here in Tokyo (and incidentally some PP webbing sold by the metre).

The sizes and breaking strengths are:

1.5mm (1/16") 148kg (320lbs)
    2.5mm (3/32") 263kg (580lbs)
    4.0mm (5/32") 627kg (1380lbs)

So, my question is, can I really hang myself (so to speak) with the 1.5mm cord? I weigh 70kg. Even if I can't, surely the 2.5mm stuff would be okay? I have difficulty believing such a thin cord would take the weight, but maybe you all use similar cordage.

The cord is fairly stiff, and has a woven black outer layer, and inside is filled with a bundle of very fine fibres. These fibres do not appear to be grouped into smaller bundles. The exposed end of the cord that I could see looked like a very fine paint brush (or a dandelion head just after it has gone to seed, but before it actually opens).

(I'm still going to try my Claytor Jungle Hammock with the stock-supplied straps and cords, to establish a baseline before I start tweaking it.)

Thanks,

A
    Last edited by ame; 12-25-2007 at 08:51. Reason: Imperial measurements included.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    The math geeks will have to chime in on this one, but the angle of the hammock hang multiplies the weight on the cording. Think sines and cosines and all that trig stuff you tried to forget in high school.

So, it depends on a lot of factors, such as where you are using the cord and what the angle of the hang of the hammock is. Also, while moving around in the hammock you need to consider that the weight is a dynamic load (sometimes more than others ) and that multiplies as the square (force == mass X velocity squared if I remember my physics correctly).

For the record, I weigh about 115lbs and I wouldn't go with less than the larger cord. I always try to use things rated for 1Klbs at least.

*shadowmoss ducks out while waiting for the true math geeks to show up*
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    The math geeks will have to chime in on this one, but the angle of the hammock hang multiplies the weight on the cording. Think sines and cosines and all that trig stuff you tried to forget in high school.

So, it depends on a lot of factors, such as where you are using the cord and what the angle of the hang of the hammock is. Also, while moving around in the hammock you need to consider that the weight is a dynamic load (sometimes more than others ) and that multiplies as the square (force == mass X velocity squared if I remember my physics correctly).

For the record, I weigh about 115lbs and I wouldn't go with less than the larger cord. I always try to use things rated for 1Klbs at least.

*shadowmoss ducks out while waiting for the true math geeks to show up*
    your green light is on Shadowmoss, you didn't duck fast enough.

The venerable Smee long ago posted a digram detailing this stuff. You are interested in the "tensile forces". Rule of thumb is that the angle is 30 degrees.

I've snapped a line rated to 1200 lbs because I wasn't paying attention to the angle. Silly me, of all people.

I go with more substantial line now. AND pay attention to angles.

Grizz

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    Ok, so the tension in the rope at 30 degrees is the same as the person's weight (because sin(30) = 0.5), which means that the 1.5mm cord is rated at twice my (static) weight. Or rather, *only* twice my weight.

Does anyone here hang on rope of 2.5mm or thinner?

A

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Ok, so the tension in the rope at 30 degrees is the same as the person's weight (because sin(30) = 0.5), which means that the 1.5mm cord is rated at twice my (static) weight. Or rather, *only* twice my weight.

Does anyone here hang on rope of 2.5mm or thinner?

A
    you can have thin and strong. The cord I snapped is 2.8mm Spyderline. Warbonnetguy is a fan of something called Vectran, same size, rated to something like 2000 lb. He puts it on his Warbonnet hammock.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    one thing to take note about is that several were recently talking on another thread about how a very small cord seems to "cut" into the fabric of the hammock.
    if that's the case (& i believe it's true), it wouldn't be worth the small weight & bulk savings unless you added something to protect the hammock from the small cord.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Oh, is that what that green thing is beside my name? Hmmm. Since I stay logged in all the time, I wonder if it times out after awhile with no page changes on the site...

Why, yes, I am a computer geek. Why do you ask?
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Since I stay logged in all the time, I wonder if it times out after awhile with no page changes on the site...
    Yes, after about 15 minutes it does.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    When logging in from the main page, in the upper right hand area, there is a checkbox for "Remember Me". I think that when you check this box on log-in, you remain logged in for the life of the browser session, regardless of inactivity.

Otherwise you are automatically logged out as AS specifies.

Grizz

griz, thats what happens if you know. if you didnt know about angles and their strength retentions, they wouldnt have broke. simple as that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast