WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I took my serger (a type of sewing machine that cuts the material as it sews) & took off a few inches of sleeping bag at a time, starting with removing the zipper only, then the hood, & slowly enough material that it fits nicely, but not too small. The sleeping bag zipper didn't go all the way down, so I left a foot pocket. My sleeping bag is an OLD, (about 20 years I think, maybe more) sinthetic, so I do need a new overquilt, but it works for now. It is now about 60% as big as it started, I took off just enough that my Patomic underquilt now fits inside the stuff sack the sleeping bag came in.

Total sew time, about 10 minutes.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

if i brought the 2 ends of the bag together how do i enter my hammock ??????

I did this a few days ago.

Cheap rectangular bag from wally mart.
    cut it into halves, stuffed the center few baffles with additional poly-fil, few inches of loft in the middle ( torso) section.

sewed it back together, added tie straps on the corners

hangs under hammock nicely, simple tie from one strap thru the other, then tie to the hammock line.

spent a night in the woods Friday night, 22* at night, I was warm with the underquilt, and north face Orion ( 20 degree rating, but its really only good to 30 or so)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I purchased a Slumberjack 20*F mummy bag from Gander Mtn that I use as an underquilt. Works wonders! I also use a Guide Series 30*F mummy sleeping bag as an in-hammack bag on top of my large Thermarest pad and I have no problems at all. Very warm!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I purchased a Slumberjack 20*F mummy bag from Gander Mtn that I use as an underquilt. Works wonders! I also use a Guide Series 30*F mummy sleeping bag as an in-hammack bag on top of my large Thermarest pad and I have no problems at all. Very warm!
    Do you have any pictures? Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Do you have any pictures? Mule
    This picture shows the bug net down and on the side. The weathershield is tucked away in the little pouch at the foot of the hammock. My Thermarest pad and inside mummy bag are in place.

This picture shows my Slumberjack mummy bag being used as an underquilt. I can push it down to the foot of the hammock to get in. Once I get into my hammock, I have the option of using the inside mummy bag as an overquilt or I can get in it, leave it unzipped, or zip it up tight.

This picture shows my Slumberjack mummy bag/underquilt pulled up to the head of the hammock. The bag has a drawstring that I can pull tight.

This picture shows how I attach my Slumberjack mummy bag/underquilt to my hammock so that it stays anchored. There are little loops sewn into the foot relief area of the Slumberjack so I attached 2 lightweight carabiners and hook them to the poly rope loop area where it attaches to the hammock. This system allows me to pull the Slumberjack as far as I can up to me without fear of pulling it too far and having my feet exposed.

I puchased the Slumberjack mummy bag and use it as an underquilt because it has a foot relief area. It has the option of unzipping the foot area to allow ventilation. I cut away the bug netting down there, thread my hammock through that area, secured the bag sewn-in loops at the foot area with carabiners to the poly rope loop, zipped the foot relief area tight, then used superglue to glue the zippers in place so they don't come loose.

Once I get in the mummy bag inside my hammock, I just reach down and pull the Slumberjack underquilt up to me, cinch up the drawstring, make final adjustments to my inside mummy bag, and that's it. Haven't had the chance to see just how low I can get with this system, though.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Hey, that's really nice. More people should understand that quilts can be made from bags. One thing I learned it by putting two loops on the sides of the bag just like JRB does on it's quilts, and some bungee cord they will pull up the bag really nice. Yours looks like it is really tight at the foot but I think you can pull the head up a little tighter if you ever wanted to. Thanks for the pictures. Mule

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Hey, that's really nice. More people should understand that quilts can be made from bags.
    Thanks! I got a Gander Mountain gift card from my parents that I used to get the 2 mummy bags and the large Thermarest pad. All told, I maybe spent $70 out-of-pocket for the entire cold weather setup.

Everything stores nicely, too. I stuff my hammock into the Slumberjack underquilt and the whole shebang goes into a compression sack. My inside-the-hammock mummy bag goes into another compression sack, and I roll the Thermarest pad up and tie it off. My Clark XL tarp rolls up nice and tight in a separate little silnylon bag, too.

When it's all said and done...my 2 compression sacks, Thermarest roll, and little silnylon bag that holds my XL tarp stores nicely in one of the sealed bulkhead compartments of my kayak. Plenty of room for other stuff!

Of course, for warmer weather...I have a TrekLight double that stuffs into its little sack that's about the size of my 2 fists.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I took a rectangular down bag from Campmore, $125.00, and shook the down to one side. I then sewed a seam down the side of the unzipped bag that would shorten the width of he bag by one foot. Then I folded the seam over to stop the edges from fraying and sewed it again. I then removed the zippers and sewed the opened bag closed on the foot side and closed up about 2 feet to make a foot box. My quilt will not open up again; it IS a top quilt. It weights only two pounds, which is what a Speer Snugfit weighs, but much more loft than a Jacks R Better. The down is only 550 fill instead of Jack's 800 or 900 fill, but it is warmer that the JRB top quilt and I use it when I think it will be below freezing.
    Hope this helps a little. Mule
    the campmoor sleepingbag to quilt you did was a great job,i bet it could go
    to zero degree f with no problem neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Allen, I hope you can join us for some kayak and hammock campouts this coming season. Mule

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast