Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hooks & Clips

I need to share the story of hook & clip addiction.

It started off innocently by using cable ties to attach mitten hooks to my gloves. Life was good because mittens hanging from the ridge line never fell into that hammock pit beneath my body, but access was convenient. Mitten hooks are from Seattle Fabrics and do not register on my scale. Cable ties are from Ace Hardware and also do not register.

But things escalated. If gloves were good then why not add a mitten hook to my hygiene bag between the cord lock and the bag. Then my bathroom bag.

That worked so well that the next was a mitten hook on the mesh bag that holds my current book and wet wipes. Except this bag is hooked on the head side of the ridge line pocket. Now all these color coded bags are hanging inside on the ridge line.

But the mitten hooks were not big enough to hang bags on the main hammock lines so I progressed to flag clips and used the same technique on my stake bag. Flag clips are from Seattle Fabrics and weigh .1 oz.

I knew I should stop, but rigging hardware had me hooked (pun intended). Maybe I could add some TripTease and tensioner to a flag clip and have a quick way to attach the guyline to the poncho/fly. Now I can adjust the tension without bending over and while still under the fly. Tensioner from MSR and does not register on my scales.

But I am in too deep and must go on. I ran the stake end of the guyline through the hole of an Easton Aluminum stake and added a cord lock to the end. The cord lock does not secure the line unless you wrap the guyline around the stake several time before you push it into the ground.
    I am sure that my ability to tie the clove hitch, girth hitch and tautline will soon atrophy.

The progression of the addiction is illustrated in the album titled “Hooks & Clips.”

My name is ****, and I am a gear junkie. It has been 3 days since my last "fix". I gotta confess that I saw a possum down vest recently online... and I had my credit card out, my respiration became rapid and shallow, my pupils dilated and my pulse got thready. This also happens at the mention of "titanium" and "silnylon". There must be a 12 step program for this...Extra Gear Acquisition Disorder (EGAD!).

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    This is HILARIOUS!! I think you'll find many of us are in different stages of "admitting we have a problem," so thank you for breaking the silence. At this point, I am hooked on the JRB mini biners. I ordered 6 extra and almost ordered more the other day. I had to stop myself, because I too like to hang things from my ridgeline. The only thing that stopped me is that I haven't completely worked out my system yet so I'm still shuffling things around. Hello...my name is Michele, and I too am a gear junkie.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've never had a problem admitting my addictions....I tend to embrace them, actually...

Hi. I'm Keith, and I'm a *deep breath*

cigarette
    woman
    dark beer
    physics
    math
    gear
    engineering
    backpacking
    muscle car
    internet
    collecting
    textbook
    tattoo
    piercing

junkie. I don't think I forgot anything...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    This is HILARIOUS!! I think you'll find many of us are in different stages of "admitting we have a problem," so thank you for breaking the silence. At this point, I am hooked on the JRB mini biners. I ordered 6 extra and almost ordered more the other day. I had to stop myself, because I too like to hang things from my ridgeline. The only thing that stopped me is that I haven't completely worked out my system yet so I'm still shuffling things around. Hello...my name is Michele, and I too am a gear junkie.
    Y'know....Walmart has mini 'biners for less than $1 apiece...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    But do they weight less than .1 oz? I'd rather give my $ to the jacks before that place anyday.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Michele,

Actually, it is the micro biners you are addicted too.... at 3 grams each it easy to become addicted....Enjoy!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Blackbishop,

Currently the JRB micro biners are less than Walmart prices and a whole lot less weight....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I actually just noticed your prices...awesome!

I get a lot of my stuff at Walmart. I admit it. It's immediate, I'm there a lot anyway, and it's open in the middle of the night when I usually get my DIY bug...

Given any forethought, though, I prefer to support you guys by far.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    You're totally right Pan...it's the microbiners. They ROCK! I don't feel safe leaving home without them anymore!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hello, my name is tim & i`m one too<g>.
    i have several of the mini biners from wal-mart, but the spring on the gate on about half of them failed.
    i got a pack of 6 from backpackinglight.com & they are a much better quality.
    but after i got them, i noticed the ones on the jacks-r-better site. as best as i can recall, the jack`s mini biners look about the same as the backpackinglight.com mini biners, but a better price. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast