Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    catenary

Rooftop Supports or Suspensions

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has see or heard of anyone making a support that I can attach to my roof rack. I do a lot of off-road and 4 wheel drive here in Arizona and for the most part a lot of it is desolate dessert and the truck is usually so full that I sleep on plywood and foam on the roof, but I thought it would be much easier and less bulky to build 2 supports to attach to either end of the roof rack where I could tie off both of us side by side. I have an FJ cruiser, so truing to sleep in the back, just doesn't work, especially for 2 people and there are lots of unfriendly ground creatures I prefer not to wake up with in my bag, so up and out of the way is safer.

Thanks for any input!

Brad

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Roof racks arent really designed to support body weight. Damage and safety are a concern.
    This thread dealt with a similar question and the roof rack designed in the pics (the rally car) is probably the best idea I've seen. It would have to custom.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=rally
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I work at a place that sells and installs roof racks and have used them on over the years. Knowing how they are installed, I would not trust a roof rack to hang a hammock from. I would trust hanging from a car/truck's door pillar (might rub the paint)
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    B-D-U:
    Stepping out on a limb here...........since your wheeling out there, I have to ask if you two things: do you have an elevated bumper rack on the back of the FJ? Are you using the reciever for anything when you are in camp?

Make a t-bar that fits the reciever, two sets of "X" stands out of 1" conduit. This would allow for attachment at the FJ and then string the hammocks to the "X" stands then anchor with two pieces of rebar in the gounds. It won't be light weight but you are wheeling and hangin'!!!!!!

I made something similar his weekend for around the house and found it to work perfectly.........just make sure the FJ has the brake set and the keys are in your pocket!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Yep, use the reciever. 2" pipe drops down on top of a 2" ball, a bit of standing rigging, and you're in busines. I had a thread, somewhere...

My Taco has a reciever on the front, too, which opens the door to other possibilities that I would explore if I lived in the desert.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Double-U View Post
    Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has see or heard of anyone making a support that I can attach to my roof rack. I do a lot of off-road and 4 wheel drive here in Arizona and for the most part a lot of it is desolate dessert and the truck is usually so full that I sleep on plywood and foam on the roof, but I thought it would be much easier and less bulky to build 2 supports to attach to either end of the roof rack where I could tie off both of us side by side. I have an FJ cruiser, so truing to sleep in the back, just doesn't work, especially for 2 people and there are lots of unfriendly ground creatures I prefer not to wake up with in my bag, so up and out of the way is safer.

Thanks for any input!

Brad
    Since you have a roof rack at your disposal, why not bring a couple of DIY hammock stands? Might be the easiest solution for you. If the places where you camp at are relatively large and flat, you could build the 3 hammock tensegrity stand that dejoha showed in another thread in the DIY forum.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    catenary
    Awesome Ideas guys, thanks!

I have a bull bar on the front that sits really high and is 2" or better around and you can lift the entire truck by it if you wanted, so maybe I can rig something and use that too. Just bought an oxy acetylene welder too! So I am itching for a "project".

We do go to blackriver and up north a lot so while a lot of it is fairly open, there are still black bears to worry about and my girlfriend would freak if she wasn't a little higher up. I will have to giver her the option maybe and see if she hides inside or tries my new whatever I build....

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Good idea on the 2" ball.

Now how can I incorporate my motorcycle into one side of a stand using a tree or whatever for the other side?

• + New Posts