Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    The chimney pipe exits the roof through a fire-proof roof jack made by titaniumgoat.com The temperature of the chimney ranges anywhere from
    300-900 deg F. The fabric of the tent is also fire retardant. And I use a series of screens in the chimney pipe to stop sparks from getting airborne.

Yes definitely. I am hoping to make a last minute purchase and get express delivery on the JRB 8x8 tent, if it is at all possible. But I don't know if they will release in time for the trip. I would love to kill 2 birds with one stone and perform testing on both models at once. The JRB 8x8 tent, as an unheated shelter... pitched completely below snow level (weather and safety permitting)
    Thats putting a great deal of faith in a piece of gear I've never seen and will have no time to trial test.

Sled - Shappell Jet Sled carrying 25-30lbs Backpack - Golite Jam pack - carrying 10-12lbs
    Worn items - in excess of 15lbs including snowshoes, clothing, water and camera equipment.

The trip is inspired by a similar winter bushwack by a group of hikers out of michigan that set out on an extremely ambitious snowshoe and pulk hike in Feburary of 07 in the neighbourhood I grew up in. While their initial distance goals were quickly abandoned, I still think is was a very impressive venture. I have put major time into researching and trying to learn about the gear, techniques and skills they used in similar terrain, weather and water crossings. (Some pics Below from that trip) I have spent the last year buying some key pieces of gear and generally getting ready.

make sure you take and post plenty of pictures,i am looking forward to hearing about your trip neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Turk, this is quite an adventure you have planned. I'm a Florida boy so I can offer you no advice for temps like that. I can only wish for you a safe and successful trip and look forward to your report.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Pulk question on pics... (kind of OT)

The Michigan group seems to be using the paris expedition sled with the Ed's wilderness systems belt and poles (harness?). Are you using a similar system on your jet sled jr set-up? What have you done to your jet sled for this trip? Are you using his free plans to build your set-up?

I have been looking for the fiberglass poles at farm supply stores in my area. 5' is the longest 1/2" poles commonly stocked, looks like I will be ordering the 6' poles.
    Last edited by steene; 12-27-2007 at 23:22.

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Just looking over your drawing again....

Would carbon monoxide be a concern using a woodstove in a hole like that? Isn't it heavier than air and gravitate to low spots? Just a disturbing thought, hopefully I'm wrong.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Sounds like an exciting trip! Never been close to those temps / wind chill so don't have any advice other than pack plenty of calories and hand warmers!

My problem with hiking in cold weather is, I sweat - a lot. Even hiking in cold temps I can work up a good sweat. All fine and good as long as I'm moving, but when it comes time to stop, I'm usually a wet dish rag. NOT!! good when the temps are low and the wind is blowing. But, I'm sure you have already planned for this.

Have fun, but be careful, and don't push the envelope, ha ha, as if -91 isn't pushing it!!! We want to hear all about it when you return, not the obits or hospital reports!

-91 ?!?!?! Is that somewhere on planet earth??!?

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    ya they used paris expedition sleds and a slew of harness systems including Eds fibreglass poles. Paris sleds work great across flat ice. But they are useless in steep rolling terrain and side hill traverse. They tip over at the blink of an eye,
    and the plastic gets really flimsy with a heavy load. I am planning on using
    a DIY pole system and spectra cord belay system for the really steep downhill sections. I have also built some DIY aluminum fin stabilizers for side tracking.

as for CO levels. I can't see it being a problem. The tent has fantastic ventilation.

What benefits may result from trenching in the tent can only be gathered in the field. I just don't have the snow depth for backyard testing anything close to what field conditions will be. If not for insulation, then I am sure I can berm enough of a snow wall to make a wind break. The stove can handle the temperature output I need. But to be effective I must maintain minimal wind drafting through the tent.

BTW - I am NOT shooting for -91 F. If I end up trying to sleep in those conditions, something has gone really wrong. I plan to beat the wind, get deep in the trees, and get insulated up. I would be extremely happy to report at temps of -30 or -40 F. (with factored wind chill) I would certainly want to avoid the 'worst case scenario' weather at all costs. But at the same time, want to have a worst case game plan ready to deploy.
    Last edited by turk; 12-27-2007 at 23:55.

Images
    Turk:
    I would love to learn more about vapour barrier clothing. But I waited too late to begin testing. I don't know if I have enough time left to feel confident introducing a completely new variable into my setup. It definitely has me thinking about it... I just don't have any real world experience with vapour barriers.
    Bill: Dang, not enough time! Here is some good info when your ready, in case you don't already know about it:
    http://www.warmlite.com/vb_shirt.htm
    http://www.warmlite.com/vb.htm

And I second (third? fourth?) the comments on CCF pads in case you have to go to ground/snow. And as Ed Speer says, if you are going to carry it anyway, make it part of your sleep system, in his case with the PeaPod: down in the PeaPod under the hammock, where you can't really feel it anyway. Apparently works really good in the PeaPod according to a friends report. Don't know how it would work down in a regular UQ, but it can always be used in the hammock(or on the ground/snow) in an emergency.

Boy are you going to have a story to tell!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    When does this expedition depart? I'd be curious to follow the weather while you're out there.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    I would be extremely happy to report at temps of -30 or -40 F.
    And I would be happy to say that I know somebody who actually camped - and survived! - for a few nights in these conditions!

Good luck, and know that all your buddies here are rooting for you.

It seems the only difference between what you are planning and what the others you know have done is that you plan to be off the ground versus on the ground? If so, then the only difference is how much insulation you need under you versus a bag on the ground? What you have proposed for loft underneath sounds like more than you plan to have on top? Maybe you need more underneath because hot air rises, but I would not expect it to be that much more?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hey turk... are you a member at BPL.com?
    just wondering if you had started a thread there? that would not only be a good place to hear from more cold weather campers but it would also be an opportunity for that community to have first hand exposure to how far cold weather hammocking can be taken.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast