Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

HH Stock Tarp

I have read a few places that you should rig the HH stock tarp seperate from the interated hooks on the the main hanging ropes. Why is this a good idea? I liked the "all-in-one" aspect of the HH but would look at other ways. If you do rig it seperate, do you tie a ridge line and drape the tarp over it ot do you tie guy lines off on the end corners?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When you lay in a hammock, it sags...so the two point that you'd attach the tarp to get closer together...and the tarp sags. Tying it to the trees means it doesn't sag. It also means that, as the hammocks sags and the tarp doesn't move, you end up with more space between the hammock and tarp. Not good for such a small tarp in windy conditions. So tie the tarp BELOW the hammock supports on the tree. When you get in, it'll all end up in the right place.

Plus, when it's raining you don't want to store a wet tarp in the same bag as your hammock.

Plus, when you're setting up in the rain, tying it separately means you can set it up first...and then set up the hammock from underneath a dry tarp. I keep my tarp in an outer pocket so I don't even have to open my pack until the tarp is up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Thanks Jeff, do you tie one big ridgeline and drap the hammock over or do you use two seperate guy lines and tie off the corners?

Why do I get the feeling that this is the first step towards scrapping the stock tarp and getting a bigger one?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I never had any trouble with the HH stock tarp set up as designed. It kept me plenty dry in some nasty conditions, but I'll admit it wasn't always pretty - it sagged sometimes. I added a ridgeline to help cure that.

Buttt... I just got a Speer Winter Tarp! It's huge, and all the good stuff everyone says about a separate tarp is true. Now I can set up the tarp, and then set up my hammock and do anything else I want in a sheltered space almost the size of my bedroom! Yeah, it's 12 more ounces to haul, but it's going to make for some great camps.

I set it up yesterday in the snow. I used the guy lines sold with the Speer Tarp, and just tied it directly to the trees - no ridgeline needed.
    Last edited by deadeye; 12-27-2007 at 11:02. Reason: forgot about added ridgeline - old age setting in

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Thanks Jeff, do you tie one big ridgeline and drap the hammock over or do you use two seperate guy lines and tie off the corners?

Why do I get the feeling that this is the first step towards scrapping the stock tarp and getting a bigger one?
    I tried the stock set up (prussics) at first but it sagged for me also. I think this may have been exaggerated also because the hammock was new and stretching out? It was easy to re-tighten (just slide the knots) but I couldn't get it as tight as attaching each corner right to the tree. Also, as Jeff mentioned, you have the ability to adjust the height of the tarp if you tie directly to the tree.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    That all depends on how much of a minimalist you want to be. I've used the stock HH fly with great results in some nasty tropical weather. It has never let me down, even when used with non-Hennessy hammocks. It does not however, give you any real 'camp' room for things like cooking.

I've never set it up per instructions; never made much sense to me. I've just tied below my hammock webbing (thanks to HF wisdom ). It is a very functional fly for a basic camp and it will keep you dry. Just don't plan on being outside of your hammock in storms.
    Trust nobody!

you seen to be confused, when refering to a tarp the 'ridgeline' is the seam of the tarp where the 2 layers come together, usually over where the hammock lays.

sometimes people do add a rope for the tarp to rest on, but it is unneeded, and the problem can be fixed by add tarp tensioners.

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I may be. I thought the ridgeline was the line above the hammock that the tarp rested on

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - two ridgelines when dealing with tarps. A ridgeline seam, or just the area of the ridgeline seam, as in, "Did you just see that bird poop on my ridgeline?" A Speer 8x10 "ridgeline" doesn't actually have a seam that runs the 10' length, but I'd still call it a ridgeline.

As skar says, some folks run a cord and throw the tarp over it. For most of the tarps we use, I agree that it's not needed and can even be detrimental.

Then there's the hammock ridgeline, structural and non-structural. And imaginary.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Just Jeff;42430].
    As skar says, some folks run a cord and throw the tarp over it. For most of the tarps we use, I agree that it's not needed and can even be detrimental.
    QUOTE]

a problem you can get by running a cord from tree to tree & throwing your tap over it is that it is bound to dip somewhat lower in the middle, so when it rains hard, water will eventually find it's way to the lowest point on the cord (over your hammock) & drip.

also, you would still have to have a way to keep the ends of the tarps ridge line corners pulled out tight... other wise the tarp will also work it's way toward the center.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast