Images

"Nanoseeum" bug netting

Has anyone used that stuff? Thru hiker sells it and apparently it's a lot lighter than garden variety no seeum netting. I'm about to order some bug netting for...um...my hammock fetish, but I'm unsure about the long term durability of the lighter stuff.

I'm actually reviewing my 'to buy' list at present, and I'm finding that I'm opting for durability and versatility over light weight in most cases, with most of the weight savings being due to simple design rather than light materials.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i have the nanoseeum from thruhiker...great stuff its trully light weight and bug proof
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I didn't think regular no-see-um was that heavy.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Regular No seeum is on the order of 0.7 oz /sq yd... the lighter stuff is about 0.5 oz /sq yd.... regular $2.00-2.50 every where.... thru-Hiker Nano No seeum is $ 6.84 .... small applications the variables don't enter into the decision.... Large projects, such as a full bug net Speer style or ENO stlye may be 3-5 yards so the trade offs are a difference of 0.6 oz to 1.0 oz for additional cost of about $14 to $21.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Now I know I am not an ultralight guy when I can't justify upgrading to the lighter bug netting.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    The numbers given for no-seeum at Quest Outfitters are 1.1 oz sq yd and $2.95 a yd. The nanoseeum at Thru Hiker is 0.71 oz sq yd and $6.84 a yd. That's about 35% lighter. Thinking out loud (in print?) I'll need about 6-7 yards for a bug bivy, but with the excess cut away it will only be about 4-5 yds. assuming a finished area of 6 sq yds, the weight saving would be 6 x 0.39 = 2.3 oz, or ~65 grams at an extra cost of 6.5 x (6.84 - 2.95) = ~$26. Of course, shipping to Australia is likely to double that cost for the nano, and since I'm getting other stuff from Quest Outfitters anyway, the extra shipping cost would be negligable.

Not including the grosgrain, stitching or zip, a standard bug bivy should weigh around 6 x 1.1 = 6.6 oz, or ~185 grams, or the racing mesh would be about 120 grams. It looks like I could save more weight with a shorter or smaller zip, and/or narrower grosgrain at the seams.

I guess I'm just not hardcore enough. $26 + shipping to save 65 grams seems a bit excessive Mind you I paid $67AUD (~$50USD) for a 450 ml Snowpeak titanium cup, then promptly ripped the handles off with a pair of pliers. I'm drinking tea from it right now. It's one of my favourite things

I was going to use 3/4" grosgrain. Would 1/2" do the job or would it be too awkward to sew? What sort of seam do you use for mesh?
    Last edited by Aramis; 11-22-2006 at 23:45.

Images
    I used a normal stitch when I made noseeum snake skins. I did adjust the tensions. Order an extra yrd or 2 of netting. Do some practice sewing on it.

Another side note. Watch the pressure of the fabric teeth mover thingys (not sure the real name). I had mine set to high and it dammaged some of the netting.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I used a normal stitch when I made noseeum snake skins. I did adjust the tensions. Order an extra yrd or 2 of netting. Do some practice sewing on it.

Another side note. Watch the pressure of the fabric teeth mover thingys (not sure the real name). I had mine set to high and it dammaged some of the netting.
    HE,

The fabric teeth mover thingys are called feed dogs.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts