Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    When exactly were you there? My friends and I were there the 7th-9th. Two of them stayed at BB on Thur and the rest of us did Fri-Sun starting at Yankee Paradise. I was the only one hanging.

I really like Cumberland. You definitely want some longer straps. I was fine in the backcountry but we stayed at Sea Camp the last night and I barely got around the monster oak.

eflat, the only treated water in the backcountry is at Plum Orchard. There is untreated water available at Stafford. I'm not aware of any other water sources. PO is cool since there is now a volunteer living there so you can get a tour any time. I think previously they only did tours on the 2nd and 4th Sunday.

Thanks for the info! I don't mind filtering, I just want to make sure there is somewhere I can. I am about to make reservations for 18-Mar.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    We are heading there in march. Is it ok to pm you with some questions? I have been there before, but we are heading to the backcountry this time. I need to know about water.
    Sure thing, pm me any time. In response to the water question, the water source at Plum is good, if you have enough time and energy for the detour on your way to Brickhill Bluff.

We always drink the water at Brickhill directly from the hand-pump well, so far no problems and it even tastes just fine to us. We've been doing this for several years and no bugs to date!

There is a really nasty water source between Hickory and Yankee, I'd suggest filtering to even really be able to use it. We usually skip that site anyway, as it's a tick haven (one of our group contracted lime's disease there from a tick bite several years ago).

We filter the water at Stafford as well, primarily due to the smell and the proximity to the bathhouse.

I should also note that for group water I use a 20L gravity filter system built from the directions found on this site. Works really well and is very light.

Have fun! I will probably sneak down there again myself some time this summer for a weekend.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    When exactly were you there? My friends and I were there the 7th-9th. Two of them stayed at BB on Thur and the rest of us did Fri-Sun starting at Yankee Paradise. I was the only one hanging.

I really like Cumberland. You definitely want some longer straps. I was fine in the backcountry but we stayed at Sea Camp the last night and I barely got around the monster oak.

eflat, the only treated water in the backcountry is at Plum Orchard. There is untreated water available at Stafford. I'm not aware of any other water sources. PO is cool since there is now a volunteer living there so you can get a tour any time. I think previously they only did tours on the 2nd and 4th Sunday.
    We were there from 7-10th, so we must have missed you...we skipped Yankee due to the concern with ticks (see post re:lime's disease).

As far as the trees, yes, I discovered that a while back. My current CI setup uses stock straps that came off my Traveler using a dutch biner and dutch clips. I had no problems with this setup since Brandon's straps are so long. In fact, I liked it so much I am going back to that from slings.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12