Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    As Xexor pointed out, fleece gives the greatest benefit when it is directly next to your skin. If there is any gap between your hammock and the fleece, it will be ineffective.

In order to make my set up completely adaptable, I have my mummy sleeping bag, fleece sleeping bag liner, and sleeping pad. Depending on the weather conditions, I take the appropriate items. For example, if it's going to be in the 20's I plan on taking all three.

Recently, it was forcast to be in the lower 30's so I took all three items. However, it didn't get lower than 40 that night and I had sweat quite a bit the next morning when I awoke.

For wind, I pitch the tarp low and steep. Also, the sleeping pad is key for those conditions and <40

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    I wonder how fleece would work replacing the pad in the HHSS? Weight may be an issue but maybe it would be a bit warmer?
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's a good thread on using a $20 poncho liner as an UQ. It should give you some ideas on how to use a fleece blanket and suspend it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11777

The most difficult part of using a fleece blanket is how to gather the ends... If the blanket has a binding around it, just melt a hole and thread shock cord through it. As a temporary solution, I made loops of mason's line (heavy string) and tied those loops around the corners of a blanket with a larkshead knot. You'll need shock cord on at least one end for the suspension...

On item: Fleece is stretchy in one direction. I THINK that stretch side-to-side would be best, but I've been wrong before.

Let us know how it works out!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I made a nylon - fleece - nylon sandwich UQ using the KAQ dimensions and have used it down to about 55 paired with a fleece-only TQ.
    I've been down to the lower 40's by adding my old 15 mummy bag on top.
    Haven't had the nerve to try colder, although I may have to soon. Certainly cold enough lately to try some 20's and 30's nights.

I left the head end of the UQ openable via velcro so I can insert additional layers of insulation. I'll try inserting the very thin foam sheet that my new TV was wrapped in soon.

Anyhow, my fleece was the same Hancock fabric type mentioned earlier, and the nylon is very light non-ripstop from Joanne. It doesn't compress well, but I think it will be perfect for summer, and adaptable for winter since I can add layers to the UQ.
    I haven't written up the full fleece UQ project yet, but there is more info and pictures here:
    http://gear-report.com/homemade-diy-...ammock-system/

I also made a fleece TQ with no nylon for me, and a fleece TQ with nylon shell for my son. I think I'll add a nylon shell to mine, as my son loves his and seems to find it warmer than mine.
    Last edited by rjcress; 01-13-2011 at 18:07.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Great ideas. I'd really like to try making something like. What is a typical weight on one of these?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12