WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    I'm brand new and have only made a couple whoopies and continuous loops. Having said that I have a double bent small wire (can't remember exact mil.) for my fid. It works great if you taper. I am using 7/64 and 1/8 amsteel for my suspension. Mountains of info on this site, just search.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I use a piece of 24 gauge wire folded in half, about 16" in length. I use that for buries 10" and longer, like the bury on whoopies. I have another that is about 12" in length and I use it for everything else.

I made handles using Sharpie pen caps. Using a pair of needle nose pliers, I folded about 1/2" of wire up, then starting from the bottom folded again. This kinda makes it look like an N but then you sqeeze than N together so there is just <1/16" gap in bettween the wire and the N. I then took the tip off of the cap using my razor knife and wood surface. Finally, I stuck the wire up through the cap, the same way the pen would go, and hooked the little N on the cylinder inside. To make sure it stays in I stuffed a ball of tissue up in there so it fits real tight. They work great and I can pull really hard on them and they don't come out. I found that I was bending my wire really bad without handles, that's why I made these. Cheap and easy!

PS, remember to cut your wire a little longer than you want the total length to allow for the bends for the handles.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Chris H. I am not sure I follow the "N" part. But, when you said you folded the wire in half, it gave me an idea. I was putting small hooks in my wire to grab the taper, but the wire always snagged coming back thru.

If you fold a 24" wire in half so you have a 12" U, then you can insert the U 10", grap the taper in the fold of the U and pull the wire back out with no snags.

I gave up on the wire and used a 4" plastic knitting needle. I put the taper thru the eye, thread the needle thru the amsteel, pull it out and then pull the line thru. I made 5 out of 8 whoopies in minutes a piece with this method. But 3 of them gave me fit. The line constricted around the needle making it hard to work thru. I broke 2 needles and got a blister on my thumb.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Chris H. I am not sure I follow the "N" part. But, when you said you folded the wire in half, it gave me an idea. I was putting small hooks in my wire to grab the taper, but the wire always snagged coming back thru.

If you fold a 24" wire in half so you have a 12" U, then you can insert the U 10", grap the taper in the fold of the U and pull the wire back out with no snags.
    Yeah, it's kinda hard to explain. All I'm really doing is creating a hook to hook the wire on the inner cylinder that is in the Sharpie pen cap.

That it exactly what I and others do with the wire folded in half. You can insert it more than 10", you just have to compress the amsteel more.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down &amp; IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    just go to JoAnn's fabric and buy something called a "Loop Turner" made by Dritz. It's about 12" long, has a circle at one end and a small hook at the other. The hook has a moving lock closer that will hold the amsteel as you pull it back through the rope. This thingy is also very cheap!!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I've found a "loop turner" to be a near fool-proof way to do buries up to about 12". Less than $5, you can get them at sewing stores.

The cool thing about them is there's a latch over the hook. When you push the length through the cord through the passage that will be the bury, the latch opens so as not to impede the pushing. When the turner head pops out the hook is exposed. You hook on whatever you're turning (usually the tapered end of cord), close the latch on it, and as you pull through the latch stays closed as a result of the friction on the inside.

makes more sense when you see it. It's a good investment.

(EDIT 1 minute later...ha! TinaLouise beat me to the punch. I was too wordy...)
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123