Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

What's in a name?

I thought this might be fun to do as I have seen it done on other forums I take part in. (please forgive me if its been done here too) Unlike when we are born, when we join a forum or group we often find ourselves being given the choice of names. Some of us have earned our names on the trails, some have choosen them and some have choosen us.

But in every case there is always a reason or a story to accompany it.

So here is mine. I am sad to say that I didnt choose my name on the trail but stems more from my inherent personality. Rivers can be calm, smooth and slow in no hurry to get anywhere and willing to work with its surroundings. They can also be angry wild things that can engulf the world around them. I am very much this person and although I would not say I suffer from wild mood swings I can be both a passionate and almost xen like person. I prefer to take the path of least resistance but when necessary I can carve through mountains. Rivers are also the source of life they nuture the lanscape around them; the day my daughter was born this name took on a more profound meaning for me. As she grows I can only hope I am the River that carries her home each and every time she wanders just a little to far off the trail.

I'd love to hear all about your name. Did you choose it or did others choose it for you? What does it say about you?
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Images
    My name is Joe. I have a twin, and growing up folks couldn't tell us apart. We were simply called the "Cross boys" even when only one of us was present. Then I joined the military, where I served for 21 years. There I was still "Cross", usually with my rank in front of it.

After I retired, in 2006, and got a civilian job I found it kind of novel that folks called me "Joe." I live in MD, and my twin in MS, so folks here do not know him. I have been given a few nicknames, but choose to go by Joe at home and on the trail. It's name name, and I'm sticking to it! :-]

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Trail name Water Monkey.... Given to me as I fell in 2 lakes on 2 consecutive days on the AT last year.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I got mine given to me by the ex-wife!!!!!!!!! I was looking for a screen name when I got a new computer years back and she said: "why not bigbamaguy.......". I saw the logic, larger size male who was living in Tuscaloosa, AL at the time. Been using it ever since!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Here's another thread from last year on the subject.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=trail+knots
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't like vegetable unless they're deep-fried!
    My family is a branch of the Donner Party of lore. Plus, it gets me food handouts when people learn my name at camp.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I really don't have a trail name yet... no one ever gave one to me

i use greenlespaul because i have a limited edition translucent green les paul
    that is rare ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Cannibal people leave food offerings under your hammock "just in case" eh LOLOLOL
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I'm completely unoriginal. rjcress is my first and middle initials added to my last name.
    I've had trail names... some good, some not so good... chose to go with something fresh since hammock camping is new to me.
    Well, that and what my wife calls me isn't fit to write here (something like a-whole)
    I suspect that time will provide me with a new nickname and I will have to update my profile and add a good story. Just hasn't happened yet.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Trail name is noisewater... It's a reference to the movie anchorman, and a reference to my ability to hear water sounds at a distance, as discovered on the AT last year by Wags.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast