Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camoflage?

Here in the US, there are lots of illegal places to camp too. Often, trails limit camping to designated sites only. Usually those are fine, but not always. Sometimes, you just can't make it to one and feel like stopping for the day. I like to disappear in those situations, not so much to disregard regulations mind you, I just have some mobility issues and can't make the distances that most hikers can. If I run out of energy, that's where I stay. Best to disappear from view, the less obvious the better.

Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    It's probably more a matter of aesthetics than anything. My NX150 is standard green and it blends in pretty well. I considered the camo as well but its like what was mentioned earlier best way to stealth camp is get of the trail and use natural surroundings like setting up with a backdrop. Hillside, thick brush or trees to avoid being silhouetted then use deadfall in front. I've had people walk up pretty close and not notice my setup until I said hello when I wasn't even really trying to be stealthy. But yeah the camo looks cool.

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    i dont view camo as millitary i view it from a hunters perspective. The less i am noticed the better chance to see wildlife.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    I follow a leave no trace, low-viz impact, blend with nature rule. I go outdoors seeking solitude and feel it's good woodsmanship to blend into my surroundings for my and the benefit of others as well. If I need to see bright colors I will go to the mall.

This sums it up pretty well for me....

The right gear and clothing color choices can help you blend into your outdoor environment
    It is important to choose hiking, backpacking, and camping gear and clothing that are natural earth tone colors like green, brown, tan, or black. There are many fashionable earthy shades to choose from. Bright colors like yellow, red, white, purple and blue do not blend in with the environment, can often be seen from miles away and contribute to a crowded feeling. Remember that your presence can negatively affect the enjoyment of others who seek solitude. Out of sight out of mind. It is a simple way that you can be considerate of other outdoor users and Leave No Trace. - www.backcountryattitude.com/low_impact_colors.html
    -Skookum

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I like camo because of my MILITARY back ground. I also like to blend in. However, when canoeing in the Bdub or in the Q, it's nice to be able see your Hammock. The green blends in well, it's not obtrusive. It Ain't Pink.
    IMHO the Camo CJH is the nicest looking Hammock in production today, if cost is no object. I have a CCS 10x12 (RAIN FLY) in the exact same color GREEN, as the Clark. My price for a NX 150..334.00$( Flyless). Camo 426.00$
    I'm GOING GREEN. 34$ more than I paid for my(Now my Wife's) DJ zip!

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Where i camp, stealth is the name of the game - site selection is the most important factor but camo helps "blurring" your camp profile. And in general, i like to blend in when out in the woods. Probably more of a psychological factor as most animals sense you via movement, smell and noise, but then again humans are quite curious animals and easily attracted to "stand out" colors...... YMMV
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I own my fair share of camo gear but I am beginning to steer more away from it. Reason being is I do a large part of my tripping during hunting season in Quebec. I'm not a local where I paddle and the locals there tend to be VERY watchful as to who is on their "turf". I've been told by my outfitter there that the hunters have no problem with canoeists paddling the river but they may not be as nice to actual hunters entering their traditional hunting grounds...since camo is often associated with hunting I am now steering more away from it although I do love the way it looks.

When I do canoe in the fall I tend to avoid the peak hunting days and go more towards the end of the hunt or in between say deer and moose. I do this out of respect for the hunters and because I don't like the idea of too many bullets whizzing by my tent...lol...never had this happen but I've heard of others who have.

Something to think about anyway...good thread!

Notice in my avatar my camo rainjacket...lol...worn during hunting season in Quebec cause I never even thought about it till I was on my trip...I will opt for a more brightly colored jacket next time.
    Last edited by Bunk; 04-16-2011 at 07:53. Reason: adding one more comment

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Camo , other than its milspec app. is good for stealth camping as well as observing nature , I personally could take or leave it ,there are a million good reasons to have it than to not have it...when I ordered my superfly I got camo because it was in stock otherwise the standard would have been fine , upon receiving the camo tarp I was glad I got it . One instance you would be glad you had camo , you hang your rig low to the ground for low visual impact and your tarp would blend in with the natural vegetation..Clarks camo is pretty dag gone good..he doesnt use a repeated pattern so its real camo...anyway , sorry I wrote a book...but I only wore camo for 15 years and still do when I teach...SEMPER FI! Carry on!
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    WB BB , DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    Aus hoochie, DD3x3
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Because you can blend into the woodlands and its cool (got a bit of a fetish for camo)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12